Mystery Vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kyman9000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6 eTorque
I have a 2015 Ram 1500 SLT. It's an 8' bed with a regular cab. It's the 3.6L gas 6 cylinder. The thing vibrates and feels just like a tire or wheel balance problem. Its got a brand new set of tires. A dealer tried to find the problem by switching all 4 wheels and tires from a new vehicle. No change. The vibration is most noticeable from 42-50 mph. They said the rear axle is ok and the driveshaft is ok. They checked their "forums" and said others have reported this problem and they don't know what it is. I'm tired of putting up with it and was considering replacing u-joints just to try something. Here's my question: It has a 2-piece driveshaft and I don't know whether to change all of the u-joints, just the end ones or just the middle ones. Has anyone had similar experience and/or any luck in changing u-joints to fix a vibration problem. Thank you.

ramsare4real

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't replaced it myself, but I had a vibration in the replacement driveshaft they installed under warranty. Replaced two days after.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Did it do it before the new tires? Common thing with new tires is the places not cleaning the mating surfaces of the rim and hub.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it has the 2 piece driveshaft like a 8ft bed truck your driveshaft center support/bearing might be bad common failure.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Carrier bearing in middle of drive shaft, check others while your at it .

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A good yank on all those bearings can reveal wear and slop. Check the transmission/transfer case (whichever is your trucks final drive) output shaft for 'freeplay' as well. Would be a good idea to check the front driveshaft and all wheel bearings for free-play. They may have done all these ...they are kind of a standard approach to uncover vibrations. But some techs are sloppy and can miss things.

Ask the tire shop if they checked the tires on a Road Force balancer. If he says no, go find a shop which has one. They can detect broken chords, out of round-ness, and other faults a normal spin balancer won't uncover.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Even though the dealer said the drive shafts were OK, get under & look at the u-joints, if there is any rust around the needle bearing cups that could be the issue. It may not have any noticeable play, if there's rust, the needle bearings are shot.

OP
OP
K

kyman9000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6 eTorque
I haven't replaced it myself, but I had a vibration in the replacement driveshaft they installed under warranty. Replaced two days after.
Do you know if it was caused by the end u-joints or the carrier bearing?

OP
OP
K

kyman9000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6 eTorque
Did it do it before the new tires? Common thing with new tires is the places not cleaning the mating surfaces of the rim and hub.
Yes but of course I thought it was the tires. I'm pretty convinced that it is not due to the tires or rims.

OP
OP
K

kyman9000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6 eTorque
If it has the 2 piece driveshaft like a 8ft bed truck your driveshaft center support/bearing might be bad common failure.
Thank you. Do you happen to know if you can change the center support/bearing without disconnecting the ends of the driveshaft? I mean at the transmission and the rear end.

OP
OP
K

kyman9000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6 eTorque
A good yank on all those bearings can reveal wear and slop. Check the transmission/transfer case (whichever is your trucks final drive) output shaft for 'freeplay' as well. Would be a good idea to check the front driveshaft and all wheel bearings for free-play. They may have done all these ...they are kind of a standard approach to uncover vibrations. But some techs are sloppy and can miss things.

Ask the tire shop if they checked the tires on a Road Force balancer. If he says no, go find a shop which has one. They can detect broken chords, out of round-ness, and other faults a normal spin balancer won't uncover.
Thank you

OP
OP
K

kyman9000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6 eTorque
Even though the dealer said the drive shafts were OK, get under & look at the u-joints, if there is any rust around the needle bearing cups that could be the issue. It may not have any noticeable play, if there's rust, the needle bearings are shot.
Thanks

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you. Do you happen to know if you can change the center support/bearing without disconnecting the ends of the driveshaft? I mean at the transmission and the rear end.
you have to unbolt the carrier bearing/support and 100% remove the driveshaft.

RamInfo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Is the driveshaft phased properly?

best,
DG

ramsare4real

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you know if it was caused by the end u-joints or the carrier bearing?
Honestly, don't remember if I ever asked. The first replacement only vibrated in the 55-70mph range.

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
My new truck has a little rotational vibration pretty much at 50 mph, Varys in how intense it is. Goes away if I don’t give it any power.

Last edited:

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
We see that you have received some great advice from your fellow forum members! However, if these suggestions do not address your concern and you decide to visit your dealer, our team would be happy to offer additional assistance throughout that process! We're available via private message.

Callie
Ram Cares

billdozer79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had something similar happen. After a ton of investigation we found that it is called radial runout. Where the wheel isn't correct. You can look it up and see if it fits what you're noticing.