n00b: Help selecting cams

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

krisclarkdev

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hey guys. I want to upgrade my cams but there are so many things to consider that I don't understand. I was hoping for some help/guidance to make sure I'm not selecting the wrong thing or waisting my money.

I have a 2018 Ram 1500 5.7L. Cold air intake, headers, cat back are already installed. I have a chip but haven't got around to installing that yet.

The cams I'm looking at are the Stage 3 HRT 224/234 Hydraulic Roller Cam for Dodge 5.7L HEMI with VVT 2009+ (link)

Sorry in advance for my ignorance and my rapid fire of questions.

1. Is this a decent cam or would you recommend something else?

2. The spec sheet says that valve springs are required. Does this mean I have to purchase them separately? Is there a particular kind of spring I should be looking for?

3. Do these cam kits typically include everything I would need or do I need to consider anything else when buying new cams?

Thanks for helping out a n00b.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am sure others will post but my opinion I wouldn't mess with a 2018 to be honest just tune it unless your ready to spend $1000 or so on parts and more $$ if you cant do the job yourself.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hey guys. I want to upgrade my cams but there are so many things to consider that I don't understand. I was hoping for some help/guidance to make sure I'm not selecting the wrong thing or waisting my money.

I have a 2018 Ram 1500 5.7L. Cold air intake, headers, cat back are already installed. I have a chip but haven't got around to installing that yet.

The cams I'm looking at are the Stage 3 HRT 224/234 Hydraulic Roller Cam for Dodge 5.7L HEMI with VVT 2009+ (link)

2. The spec sheet says that valve springs are required. Does this mean I have to purchase them separately? Is there a particular kind of spring I should be looking for?

3. Do these cam kits typically include everything I would need or do I need to consider anything else when buying new cams?

You're going to need a whole lot more mods then you got to run that cam and like it.You'll need a set of high dollar ported heads,ported 6.4 intake manifold and at least a 3500 rpm stall torque convertor ,bare mininium of 3.92 gears and a light weight regular cab shortbox 8 speed truck . Stay away from any cam that says it's a max effort cam or stage 3 or is good to 7,000 rpm,those words don't go hand in hand with a daily driver basically stock truck like you have. Talk to Matt at Moes or Jay Greene at Greene Racing or John Smith at Texas Speed & Performance (TSP),and be realistic with what you what you want out of the truck,so that they can give you a cam reconmendation that you'll like and more importantly enjoy.BTW don't expect a cam swap to turn your truck into a wheel standing tire smoking monster,as the stock cam isn't all that bad as far as being a performance cam. Like i said contact those 3 vendors (they're on facebook more then here) and give them your truck specs and expectations. Just be forewarned buying the cam is the cheapest part of the deal,you'll need all new lifters/head bolts /gaskets /fluids /depending on cam selected you might need a cam phazor lock-out /new cam bolt etc.,and by the sounds of it,you'll also be needing somebody to install it,so you're looking at another 1500 bucks or more in labour,then you should have it tuned,which entails an unlocked PCM / bypass cable on your 18 and a custom tune.Not trying to discourage you,but unless you have $3,000 or more to spend a cam might not be for you.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

Well, this type of question can get a whole different range of answers and opinions. There are a few things I want to school you on. The Gen III HEMI is a Cam-in-Block design which means that the motor only has one cam or camshaft and not "cams". Please do not butcher it. HAHA! Just giving a "NOOB" a hard time. Next, what "chip" do you have? My guess is that you have a programmer/tuner and not an actual chip. Is your tuner capable of custom tunes? If it is not capable of custom tunes then it is going to be very hard to run a camshaft like the one you posted. This camshaft will require custom tuning and a cam phaser or cam lock along with valve springs. The cam kit you posted only comes with the camshaft in the box. Nothing else. You will have to buy a cam phaser or lockout along with valve springs and then line up a date with a customer tuner and some dyno time to get the tune worked out.

What gears are in the rear diff? Do you have the plans/money to upgrade? Are you ready to upgrade the torque converter in the trans?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990