Navigation Questions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
I have the 8.4 screen without Nav. SWMBO who usually is the navigator likes her Garmin which she has become very comfortable using. It has voice activation, traffic warnings and Lifetime Maps etc. Doesn't bother me any to not have another image on the 8.4 system screen. So, all is well.
Of course I keep getting offers from FCM to activate my Nav feature. So, I am curious about a couple of things.
1) Does the Nav receive periodic updates like our Garmin? If so how often and is there a fee charged for each update?
2) Apparently you can get the activation code on e-bay considerably less expensive than factory.
Anyone ever do that? How does it work with updates?
I am pretty sure that we will stay with the portable Garmin but heck, you never know!

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They only do updates about every 2-3 years and they cost about $100-$150. They just released a 2020 update a couple of months ago.

I activated mine using the guy from eBay and had a smooth transaction.

Overall I really like my nav for what I use it for, I’m sure you’ll get a lot of responses that it’s junk but I like it.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
They do publish updates but you have to buy them and they are usually ~$150 but they do have them on sale once in a while for around $100. Now they don't really tell you what the updates are so it's hard to tell what version they are up to. They always just say "latest" what ever that means?

I also purchased it from a guy on ebay years ago no problem.

With that said, it will never be what your Garmin or google maps on your phone is, I never use mine it was a waste of money to be honest.

OP
OP
D

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
Stimpy433 & mtnrider,
Thank's for the input. Sounds like staying with the Garmin is the way to go. Another plus for the Garmin is that I was able to download a voice into the unit that is very clear and my aging ears can understand easily. Not to mention that the little lady likes having her "Garmin Girl" to gang up on me with her! LOL

ToyHaulin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L v8 Hemi® MDS VVT
I loved my Garmin Nuvi but gave it up for the 8.4 Nav, which I like more and more every day. If you check off your interests in the settings, it will indicate if any upcoming highway exits feature any of these items.

I would LOVE to import the 500 waypoints from my Garmin to this system, but I don't know how.

ToyHaulin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L v8 Hemi® MDS VVT
The 8.4 Nav gave me a warning I reached the maximum of 30 favorites. Is this really the maximum it holds or are there different kinds of favorites that can be saved? Only 30 seems ridiculous... can it be true?

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
My 2014 8.4 nav has been junk since new. Never dependable. With updates at 150.00 I just use my tom tom. The nav 8.4 is a 700.00 option. I orderd my new truck a few weeks ago without the nav. Big ripoff.

Rivstg1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don’t understand those on here who say the GPS is junk, I literally use it every day and it gets me to exactly where I need to go how long the world is it junk?

NealS

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RAM 1500 Limited w/ RAMBoxs
Engine
5.7-Liter V8 HEMI® MDS VVT Engine
2019 Limited 1500, Big Screen Nav. Is there anyway to allow keyboard access while the vehicle is moving? It's difficult to find a place to park sometimes so my navigator can enter and address. (We also have an 2019 Enclave that allows functions after a liability disclaimer screen).