NEED ADVICE - About to Buy My Sweetie a Brand New 2021 RAM 1500 Laramie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HandyCruiser

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi (no e-Torque)
HELP! I NEED SOME NEW RAM TRUCK BUYING ADVICE.

It's a sort of sad day at the Handy house. We've been offered about as much for our 2019 Dodge Charger Scat Pack Plus as we paid for it. My sweetie (trophy wife) has decided she wants a new 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie. Those have been priced a little too high for us. But now that we have all this unexpected equity in the Scat Pack, we can trade it in and afford a Laramie with most of the bells and whistles we want. I've narrowed down the search and the finalists mostly look like this one below. It's been fun owning the Scat Pack and I had hoped to keep it as my car once I retire the 2006 Daytona. But this high-equity thing is just too good to pass up. Otherwise, we would never buy a truck this expensive. And it will make my wife happy.

Handy's 55-year-old "trophy wife" and Mopar speed demon.

Branson03.jpg

Here's a few questions to discuss. Any other advice and pointers would also be appreciated:

1. e-Torque 5.7 Hemi or Original 5.7 Hemi?

2. 20" or 22" wheels?

3. Best aftermarket add-on? (Tri-fold bed cover, chrome side moldings, tray under backseat, etc.)

4. Things I need to be warned about? Things I need to be sure and get when I buy?

Other thoughts from Handy:

Laramie01.jpg

The truck in the photo above is one of two we are considering buying. It's a Laramie Limited. There's a second one at another dealer that is just a Laramie, but is pretty loaded and has the chrome package. There's a photo below.

Laramie02.jpg

The biggest issue with buying a 2021 Ram right now seems to be the chip shortage. Before the COVID shortages this year, trucks with the Laramie Level 1 option came with blind spot sensors. After COVID, they went to Laramie Group A without it and Group B with it. But then RAM ran out and Group B didn't get the blind spot sensors either. My sweetie can't live without her blind stop sensors. Both trucks we are looking are "pre-shortage" trucks originally ordered by small rural dealerships that couldn't sell them. They both have the full Group 1 and/or Group 2 option packages. Both also have panoramic sunroofs, rain sensors for the wipers and auto high beam headlights. The first truck has 22" wheels and the e-Torque 5.7 Hemi. The truck below has 20" wheels and the regular 5.7 Hemi. I'm kind'a partial to the 22" wheels but prefer the regular Hemi since it's a much simpler setup I'm very familiar with.

The extra Limited model chrome side molding on the first truck is only about $250 from Mopar. So if we get the second truck, I plan to stick the body moldings on there. The two trucks will be fairly identical inside and out, except the second truck has a full chrome package. It is also a little cheaper. Payments will be almost exactly the same as what we are making on the Scat Pack now. The first truck will increase our payments about $25 to $30 a month.

DISCLAIMER: It should be noted that while Handy is an ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech and an excellent lover, He primarily works professionally as a Safety Engineer among other things and he hasn't worked as a professional mechanic since he was a young strapping lad with long sexy flowing hair before college. And even then, he mainly worked on big trucks and heavy equipment. Nowadays, Handy enjoys driving and working on Mopar cars and truck for fun and relaxation. And I help others when I can.

Bill A

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Same color as mine which receives compliments often on the color. Mine is a 21 Limited Longhorn with the EcoDiesel and 392 gears. (I pull a camping trailer). We've been very pleased with ours and no issues so far.

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1. etorque (if she's used to the start / stop).
2. 20" better ride and cheaper tires
3. steps - absolutely needed for my wife to get in the truck.
4. I would stay away from the 12" screen, still seems to have quality issues.

Good luck!

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A lot of people like the Etorque. I personally if I were to get a new Ram, I would want a regular Hemi as I have now with 3.92s. Side steps are a plus. I just took mine off as I never liked the tubular ones. The only way I could get rid of my Charger is for a Scat Challenger 6 speed lol.

Pudge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If you look close at the interior, you’ll appreciate the Limited. It’s a class act and leather everywhere, including dash and doors. Plus the seat is a thicker leather than the Laramie and it’s all leather, including the back. You get the power side steps and air suspension and a few other goodies. My Limited had the eTorque and I was impressed with it and it worked well. I’m in a 2500 now with the 6.4 with no eTorque option available and I do miss it in some situations.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally I would stay away from the e-torque because a lot of people have had issues with it and it’s battery pack and of course if you get e-torque you get start/stop but there is a button to disable it. Definitely 20s for a better ride. If you care about gas mileage get 3.21 gears, personally I care more about performance so I went with the 3.92s. The Limited is very nice but a little out of my comfort zone price wise. I’ve had my new Laramie a little over a month now and still loving it.

andymax

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You don't really say how it will be used. If she/you does a lot of highway driving I'd suggest the Advanced Safety Group, primarily for Adaptive Cruise. I have a loaded laramie and LOVE it. Looked at several limiteds and I agree that the air suspension, power running boards, and a few other things are nice, but personally I don't like the dash finish of the Limited. I'd prob live with it had I found a good deal. I added the Mopar power running boards to my truck...cannot recommend them highly enough...particularly helpful with shorter folks and older folks like my 81yo dad.

OP
OP
HandyCruiser

HandyCruiser

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi (no e-Torque)
You don't really say how it will be used. If she/you does a lot of highway driving I'd suggest the Advanced Safety Group, primarily for Adaptive Cruise. I have a loaded laramie and LOVE it. Looked at several limiteds and I agree that the air suspension, power running boards, and a few other things are nice, but personally I don't like the dash finish of the Limited. I'd prob live with it had I found a good deal. I added the Mopar power running boards to my truck...cannot recommend them highly enough...particularly helpful with shorter folks and older folks like my 81yo dad.

The truck will be used as a luxury car and my sweetie's daily driver. I have a "cherry' 2003 Dodge Ram Quadcab I bought new. It's perfectly fine for all our projects or to use as an extra vehicle. I also have tree other "work trucks" including a 1-ton. So hauling and towing is taking care of.

My wife is 5'10" but the running boards are a main item she wants. She has a little trouble getting in and out of the Scat Pack. But she is just fine with the RAM with the running boards. The two potential trucks I described and posted photos of have running boards. One has the power running boards and the other has fixed running boards. I figure the fixed running boards are preferable for my wife because she is always worried about getting door dings when parking in downtown Little Rock. The running boards should catch a lot of open car doors before they hit hers.

Both the Limited and regular Laramie we are looking at have almost identical interiors except for a few minor trim additions to the Limited. Both have black leather with gray piping and accents.

1624886244006.png

BNeal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You don't mention the price difference and that would be a major item to consider. But, to be honest with you, I would (and did) go with the Limited. And as for the 12" screen and the e-torque, I have both and have not had a single issue since I purchased it new back in September.

Are you having to pay MSRP or above?

OP
OP
HandyCruiser

HandyCruiser

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi (no e-Torque)
You don't mention the price difference and that would be a major item to consider. But, to be honest with you, I would (and did) go with the Limited. And as for the 12" screen and the e-torque, I have both and have not had a single issue since I purchased it new back in September.

Are you having to pay MSRP or above?
The regular Laramie is about $4K below MSRP. The Limited is at MSRP. I live by the creed, "Never Pay Retail". So the Laramie is my first choice. It has the 12" screen but doesn't have e-Torque. Since this truck has everything else we want, the lack of e-Torque is not likely going to be a deal-killer for us.

The side chrome moldings like your truck has are only about $250 from Mopar. So I will be adding those myself. I like your grill better too. But my sweetie likes that "toothy" full chrome look. So this truck fits the bill.

1624888463024.png

Last edited:

Cactusmonkey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I am with BNeal regarding Limited, 12" screen and e-torque. We have both, no issues. Both are great looking trucks and they both have the heart of a Ram. Let her decide on the one she wants. Happy wife, Happy life.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The truck will be used as a luxury car and my sweetie's daily driver. I have a "cherry' 2003 Dodge Ram Quadcab I bought new. It's perfectly fine for all our projects or to use as an extra vehicle. I also have tree other "work trucks" including a 1-ton. So hauling and towing is taking care of.

My wife is 5'10" but the running boards are a main item she wants. She has a little trouble getting in and out of the Scat Pack. But she is just fine with the RAM with the running boards. The two potential trucks I described and posted photos of have running boards. One has the power running boards and the other has fixed running boards. I figure the fixed running boards are preferable for my wife because she is always worried about getting door dings when parking in downtown Little Rock. The running boards should catch a lot of open car doors before they hit hers.

Both the Limited and regular Laramie we are looking at have almost identical interiors except for a few minor trim additions to the Limited. Both have black leather with gray piping and accents.

View attachment 463086

Just so you know, I've owned both a Laramie and a Limited. The two interiors look the same, but they are not really even close once you use them. The leather in the seats is much softer, making the seats more comfortable. The Laramie only has leather-trimmed seats, and much of the material in those seats is not even leather. Even the leather on the steering wheel is nicer on the Limited, and you also get the wood inserts. The Limited comes with power steps as standard equipment, and there are no stationary steps that even come close for usability. She will really appreciate them if you get the Limited. I've had two trucks with etorque and haven't had any issues with either one. Obviously no one can speak for how well the system will hold up over time because it hasn't been out long enough. I wouldn't base my vehicle decision on whether or not it has etorque. Same with the 12 inch display. My only complaint with it is there are no discreet switches for the heated/ventilated seat controls. Otherwise I love it. Then there is the standard air suspension on the Limited so your sweetie can lower the truck to make stepping onto the step even easier for her to get in and out.

Bottom line for me after owning both a Laramie and a Limited is if you're wanting to use it as a luxury car you will want the Limited. No question it's a more luxurious truck.

BNeal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just so you know, I've owned both a Laramie and a Limited. The two interiors look the same, but they are not really even close once you use them. The leather in the seats is much softer, making the seats more comfortable. The Laramie only has leather-trimmed seats, and much of the material in those seats is not even leather. Even the leather on the steering wheel is nicer on the Limited, and you also get the wood inserts. The Limited comes with power steps as standard equipment, and there are no stationary steps that even come close for usability. She will really appreciate them if you get the Limited. I've had two trucks with etorque and haven't had any issues with either one. Obviously no one can speak for how well the system will hold up over time because it hasn't been out long enough. I wouldn't base my vehicle decision on whether or not it has etorque. Same with the 12 inch display. My only complaint with it is there are no discreet switches for the heated/ventilated seat controls. Otherwise I love it. Then there is the standard air suspension on the Limited so your sweetie can lower the truck to make stepping onto the step even easier for her to get in and out.

Bottom line for me after owning both a Laramie and a Limited is if you're wanting to use it as a luxury car you will want the Limited. No question it's a more luxurious truck.
Yea, that. mikeru pretty much sums it up.

Hanover Fiste

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 SLT, 2018 Sport
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If you already have a truck, plus 3 other work trucks, why not keep the Charger? Why spend more money if you don't have to?

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If you already have a truck, plus 3 other work trucks, why not keep the Charger? Why spend more money if you don't have to?
The whole point of this thread is that he's buying it for his sweetie. And she wants a truck. Please tell me we don't need to explain the concept of "happy wife, happy life" to you. :p

Hanover Fiste

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 SLT, 2018 Sport
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The whole point of this thread is that he's buying it for his sweetie. And she wants a truck. Please tell me we don't need to explain the concept of "happy wife, happy life" to you. :p

I missed the part about her wanting a truck. ;)

You do know that "happy wife; happy life" is a myth, right? :eek:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7

View attachment 463086
Laramie, 20" tires, NO E-torque, if possible 8.4" screen, not the 12". Side rails are a necessity, and if U plan any towing, insure TT controls are installed. A nice roll in lock for the bed nice, but not necessary. I happen to have the Full Color Matched Fiberglass tonneau on MY 19. All IMHO.

CAVEAT; YER wallet, yer Betta Half. Let her decide, LOL, Pillow Talk can be deafening, LOL.

Either way enjoy it and drive it.

Last edited:

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
Here's a few questions to discuss. Any other advice and pointers would also be appreciated:

1. e-Torque 5.7 Hemi or Original 5.7 Hemi?

2. 20" or 22" wheels?

3. Best aftermarket add-on? (Tri-fold bed cover, chrome side moldings, tray under backseat, etc.)

4. Things I need to be warned about? Things I need to be sure and get when I buy?

Other thoughts from Handy:

1. Original - I hate the stop start
2. Either
3. I like the Factory trifold cover
4. RAMBOX!!! get them
5. Win