Need advice on purchasing a truck capable of towing heavy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TreeFeller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello,

I’m new to the forums but this seems like the place to get solid advice. I’m looking to purchase a CUMMINS turbo diesel capable of towing my trailer and excavator (~12,000 lbs) through incredibly steep and mountainous terrain. My budget is somewhere in the neighborhood of 25K.

I was looking at some of the older 2004.5-2007 5.9’s because I heard that engine is bulletproof. However, I heard that rams built after 2011 were much more solid than their predecessors. Not sure if there’s much truth in that or not? I really need something reliable that’s capable of hard and heavy towing. Any input would be much appreciated. What years should I stay away from? Major problems at certain mileages?

Thanks

Diller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins
The 5.9 is known for reliability but the 6.7 with the emissions equipment removed seems to be holding up just fine. The newer trucks absolutely have better build quality when it comes to the body, interior, etc. but drivetrains seem to be about the same. For that price you are going to be looking at a higher mileage new truck or a less used older. Properly maintained you will get many years out of either.