Need audio help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dpray1928

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have jl c1-690 6x9 components for the front im going to put the tweeters in the sail and want to get speakers for the back what would be a good match brand? And is 2way or 3 way better? I was thinking kicker 44ksc6934 or pioneer tsa6966r. Wanted to put a 4 channel amp and I don't plan on putting in a sub if I did it would be a compact one like a hideaway. I'm not really sure what amp yet either. I need advice please!

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In a scenario like yours, I typically like to stay with the same manufacturer and series as you are installing up front. See what JL offers in a full range 6x9 in that series. I’d also stay away from a 2 or 3 way, let the back focus more on the bass and the front the highs. This is just my opinion, there is no hard rule.

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
I wouldn't do a thing with the rears except deaden the door. Put your money into a quality 4 channel amp that will power your front speakers and bridge the rear channels to your sub whenever you decide on one.

4x100 should be plenty of power. Probably give the jl about 75 watts if you if you high pass them around 80 to 100. Then bridge the rear for 300 watts at 2 ohm for the sub. Alpine, kicker, sundown, skar, image dynamics, digital designs, Hertz would all be brands i would look at. I'm certain others can direct you further. All depends on your budget and goal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dpray1928

Dpray1928

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Okay thanks good info. If I unhook the dash speakers what do I do with the wires?

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Tape them or zip tie them to something so they don't rattle around

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
they better be for that price tag.. :eek:

Yes, this sort of spending kind of amazes me. A moving vehicle is probably one of the worst environments for listening to music. Road noise, small speaker limitations, reflective and absorbent acoustic surfaces, limited space for the music to "spread out", probably listening to compressed mp3 files, etc. Spending $300 on a pair of 6X9 speakers is not money well spent, IMO.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, this sort of spending kind of amazes me. A moving vehicle is probably one of the worst environments for listening to music. Road noise, small speaker limitations, reflective and absorbent acoustic surfaces, limited space for the music to "spread out", probably listening to compressed mp3 files, etc. Spending $300 on a pair of 6X9 speakers is not money well spent, IMO.

You would be wrong in that opinion. Those are reasonably priced for the quality of sound they produce and I find that I get the most enjoyment out of my music when I’m cranking the hell out of it on a road trip.

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
You would be wrong in that opinion.

OK, if you say so...

Those are reasonably priced for the quality of sound they produce and I find that I get the most enjoyment out of my music when I’m cranking the hell out of it on a road trip.

I'm happy for ya. Still, there is not $300 worth of materials there. Kind of reminds me of eyeglasses in that regards. $3 worth of plastic and a $1 worth of metal becomes $500 when marketed and sold.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
It's all good, everyone has a different expectation

if you have a high expectations they are a good choice.

The JL1's may suit your needs, however I have listened to those speakers and I did not think they were all that

once you get to the JL C5's things start to get better, but they are never going to touch the Audio Frogs for the coin

I think $ 500.00 for the front sound stage you will get is a good value

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
and im over here happy as hell with my buy one get one half kicker ks's.... less than 300 total in the 6 speakers ;)

with that said, if i had the means... I probably would opt for some top of the line focals

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
and im over here happy as hell with my buy one get one half kicker ks's.... less than 300 total in the 6 speakers ;)

with that said, if i had the means... I probably would opt for some top of the line focals

Just like I said, each of us have different expectations

:favorites13:

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
OK, if you say so...

I'm happy for ya. Still, there is not $300 worth of materials there. Kind of reminds me of eyeglasses in that regards. $3 worth of plastic and a $1 worth of metal becomes $500 when marketed and sold.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
It can be tough to swallow I get it...but the price point isn't based off materials, more so off research & development. Some of the highest end home theater/stereo speakers still rock paper cones.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lol @ thinking $300 is expensive for speakers. You can make your truck extremely quiet. Hell my new '19 is pretty damn silent, if I went with some super quiet tires I doubt I would hear anything. There are $10,000 pairs of components out there.

Autokraft hit it spot on - I doubt one of my B&W towers has more than $100 worth of materials, yet they cost a hell of a lot more than that. Honestly the thought process behind this is stupid. What don't you pay a high mark up on? Ever go out to eat? Easy 100% mark-up. Ever buy groceries? Buy anything that isn't a raw material directly from the source?

Last edited:

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK, if you say so...

So how much did you pay for the $3,000 in raw materials that went into your truck?

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
So how much did you pay for the $3,000 in raw materials that went into your truck?

I sure hope you are not attempting to compare the engineering complexities, systems integration, and manufacturing sophistication that goes into making a Ram pickup with producing a thin membrane that vibrates when voltage is applied to it...

Oh wait, you are.

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
Lol @ thinking $300 is expensive for speakers. You can make your truck extremely quiet. Hell my new '19 is pretty damn silent, if I went with some super quiet tires I doubt I would hear anything. There are $10,000 pairs of components out there.

Sure you can make it a better environment to listen to music. But there are so many inherent compromises involved, including actually driving the vehicle. I'd rather spend my money on a home system and really hear the music while not going hog wild on a car audio system.

Autokraft hit it spot on - I doubt one of my B&W towers has more than $100 worth of materials, yet they cost a hell of a lot more than that. Honestly the thought process behind this is stupid. What don't you pay a high mark up on? Ever go out to eat? Easy 100% mark-up. Ever buy groceries? Buy anything that isn't a raw material directly from the source?

I understand spending more money on something than it's worth because it brings pleasure. I totally get it. But $300 6X9 car speakers is a bit too far for me to go. Your mileage may vary.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sure you can make it a better environment to listen to music. But there are so many inherent compromises involved, including actually driving the vehicle. I'd rather spend my money on a home system and really hear the music while not going hog wild on a car audio system.

I understand spending more money on something than it's worth because it brings pleasure. I totally get it. But $300 6X9 car speakers is a bit too far for me to go. Your mileage may vary.

I guess it comes down to each their own. I spend more time listening to music in my car than my house. And when it's at my house is usually outside while I am drinking on the patio lol. My semi-high-end home theater gets used a few times a month at best.