Need help! AC doesn't work... Sometimes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Idefi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Howdy all. I've run into this weird issue where if my truck is in the garage or already cold the AC seems to work just fine. If it sits in the sun during the day the AC fails. It still blows air, but never gets cold, no matter how long I drive or cold it gets outside. Had the freon topped off. Still same issue. Sensor changed, and nothing. Any ideas what could be causing this?? The shop is clueless. Thanks for the help.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Maybe find another shop. I'm guessing it could be the condenser is dirty/plugged, the compressor is failing or the system is overcharged.

GhostCost

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
NA
I had this happen once and it turned out to be a short in the wire on the compressor. If I wiggled the wire, the compressor would kick back on.
Check to see if the compressor is turning when it's not cooling (be careful - the engine is running and that fan will eat your lunch). If not, wiggle the wire and see if it starts up.

The standard things are like crash68 said, the condenser being dirty so it can't get rid of the heat or the system being overcharged. Less is more in refrigeration. You can buy a refill kit with a gauge on it for about 20 bucks at OReillys. I think they'll even check it for you for free once you buy the can.

bigdodge

Reaction score
U really need a set of gages to know what's going on with it. Basics r just looking to see if the compressor clutch is engaged and staying engaged. Also there should be a second fan come on when ac is running.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk