NEED HELP ASAP with Rear View Mirror

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bri113

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Rear View Mirror Reattach (tri lobe/ twist off)

So this afternoon I was giggling around my rear view mirror on my brand new 2014 Eco Diesel to see how the plastics came off with the intent that i was going to hard wire/ stealth mount my V1 radar detector. When giggling it it ended up coming off very easily so i proceeded with the install. I got my radar detector all wired up and now i am having a hell of a time getting this tri lobe / twist off mirror back on… I've been at it for close to 2 hours and still can't get it to reconnect. How do i get this rear view mirror back on? ANY HELP would be great I need the truck to drive to work in the AM.

Thanks in advance,
Brian

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7
Some good info here....

I found out how to remove the mirror. The whole assembly twists off of the base on the windshield. Grab the mirror firmly and slowly rotate to the right and the mirror will rotate off of a triangular mounting base. To re-attach, place the mirror stem against the triangular mounting base, holding the mirror at a 8 O'clock and 2 O'clock position. Slowly rotate the mirror to the right and it will lock back into place.

DO NOT TRY TO PUSH MIRROR STRAIGHT ONTO THE BASE WITH FORCE OR SLIGHT POUNDING - YOU WILL CRACK YOUR WINDSHIELD!

More bad news: I wanted to install an autodimming mirror with a compass. Because of the unusual base, the only mount that would work is a wedge style base. The only place a new base can be installed is on "clean" glass. You will notice that the 2013 Ram 1500 has a large blackout area that extends below the mirror mounting base for approximately 4" (8" below the headliner). The new wedge would have to be installed below the blackout area to stay secure. Unfortunately, that is below the rear seat area and you will have very restricted vision from behine (not to mention it is illegal to mount a mirror in the middle of the windshield as it would block drivers vision to the right side of the vehicle).

So - no aftermarket mirror From MITO Corporation unless they come up with a suitable mount. According to one of their design engineers, they have tried many different designs on an adapter piece and none of them work. He also said they are having issues with other Dodge vehicle that are now using this mount design.

Sorry for the bad news!!

LOOK AT THE BRANDMOTION VIDEO ABOVE - THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT THE MIRROR ATTACHMENT LOOKS LIKE ON THE 2013 RAM 1500. In other words, the Brandmotion mirror should work.

EDIT: I just spoke to a technical respresentative at Brandmotion, and she told me that there are only 4 vehicles that currently use the triangular mounting system. If you are looking for a autodimming mirror with a backup camera, their product will work. Currently the autdimming mirrors with compass are NOT being made for the 2013 Ram 1500.

OP
OP
B

bri113

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
yea i found those post and I'm trying to follow the directions as closely possible but the damn thing just won't go back on….. I feel like the mirror base plate has to be in the exact same plane as the windshield for it to "click" into place and I've bee trying to hold it steady but I'm having much trouble.

MiRamDriver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tilt the mirror all the way down. Then twist it toward the passenger side of the vehicle. Push it upwards and onto the mount and then twist. I went through this myself.

OP
OP
B

bri113

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Tilt the mirror all the way down. Then twist it toward the passenger side of the vehicle. Push it upwards and onto the mount and then twist. I went through this myself.

When you say twist "it" do you mean the mirror on the the whole mirror assembly? And when you say push it on you mean use some force behind it? does it need to snap onto the mount so to speak? this whole time i thought it was sorta suppose to fall into place or does it take a bit of force?

MiRamDriver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The whole assembly. Start at 2 o'clock and twist to 12 o'clock. You won't need much force at all. It does not snap on at all. It falls into place on the three flat spots on the windshield mount and then twist.

Edit: The three flat spots that I'm referring to are the three similar spots NOT parallel to the dash. They are the longer flat spots and don't have an edge.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bri113

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Does the bottom right pin(semi circle one) have to line up with anything?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399854976.349393.jpg

Sent from the iPhone 5.

OP
OP
B

bri113

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Seems like it needs to mate with the semi circles on the wind shield mount but then how would it turn?

Sent from the iPhone 5.

OP
OP
B

bri113

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399855110.231931.jpg

Sent from the iPhone 5.

MiRamDriver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No. The semi-circle has nothing to do with the mounting. It's the three flat tabs on the flat plate with the silver bolt holding them on.

OP
OP
B

bri113

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
i feel as if I'm maybe not getting the mirror to the full 2 o'clock? the wiring behind it kinda hold you back? i guess I'm just not turning it far enough? doesn't help i have a cast on one hand right now (broke my worst few days ago)

MiRamDriver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2 o'clock is a rough guestimate. I put a flashlight in my mouth, sat on my center console and looked where the tabs slid over the flats, then I turned.

jester139

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Guys I just went through this as well. All of the plastic casing has to be off, then it goes back on easy as stated above (2 o'clock or so then counterclockwise). What a PIA to get the wiring blades in the harness for a hard wired rada detector install. The ones blend mount sell have long blades that are too wide. I had to file the positive down then attach the ground to the terminal next to the harness.

junglepig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Here is the really annoying thing, and I too have spent lots of time wrestling with this damned mount on my daughter's 2013 Charger.
It goes on very easily. Grrr. But you must find just the right position to set it in place, and then twist it like, 60 degrees and it is done. It does not require significant strength or force. On my daughter's car, I found it was still pretty easy to knock it off, so I used just a drop of gel-type CA (superglue) on the three metal tabs, and it hasn't fallen off since, but I'm sure it'd twist off easily.
Once you learn how it goes on, you'll curse at all the effort and force you put into it before trying to get it on!

BTW, you twist it CW to put it on, CCW to remove. Use just enough upward force to keep it flat as you twist. It should be flat for the entire operation. Trust me.

On mine, I found temporarily rotating the mirror 180 degrees (on the ball) so that the mirror faced the front of the car made it easier to see what I was doing until I twisted it into place. I don't think it was necessary though. (I also sat backward in the passenger seat and held my tongue just...so.)

Good luck. (I know this is an old post, but I came across it and thought it might help the next guy or gal.)

jester139

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Guys I just went through this as well. All of the plastic casing has to be off, then it goes back on easy as stated above (2 o'clock or so then counterclockwise). What a PIA to get the wiring blades in the harness for a hard wired rada detector install. The ones blend mount sell have long blades that are too wide. I had to file the positive down then attach the ground to the terminal next to the harness.

So funny thing. A little over 4 years later I'm sitting in my garage taking this off as I'm trading in my truck (going to miss her!) For a Power Wagon and I was just fighting with mine. I searched and found my old thread from 11/2015 and followed my directions (plastic off) and it worked like a charm. It's the only way with all the other items (rain sensors/whatever is in there.

oldguy2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For those that want to replace their twist on mirror with an other type it most likely can be done. You can either remove the mounting wedge and replace it with a GM type or you can modify the mount on the new mirror. I bought a rear view camera and it came with a new mirror that used the GM type mount. I removed the center piece that is held in by a small screw and with a little modification swapped the two. To take up the space between the mirror mount and the windshield I made a spacer out of a piece of rubber. I then just twisted the replacement mirror on to the windshield.