need help with a wiring issue on my truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MountainRunner775

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
Hello everyone, I am having an issue with my 2019 ram 2500 bighorn. the wiring harness on the truck that runs to the 7 pin trailer plug has a short somewhere and I need help tracking down there the wiring goes. I know its the green wire (right trailer blinker and brake light) because I am getting no power from that wire on the truck. I have no idea where that trailer wiring runs through the truck and where it ends up. I am assuming it ends up under the dashboard but I am unsure which plug it is. and thoughts or suggestions? Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can Google your truck year and model under the wire diagram and you should find the whole thing you are looking for. I have done it so many times and found what I needed. well hope this helps.

OP
OP
MountainRunner775

MountainRunner775

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
So it took all afternoon but I found the culprit. For those that arent aware, the wiring harness that the trailer wiring runs through goes down the driver side of the frame to a connector thats in the wheel well behind the driver side front tire. To get to that you have to pull away/pull off the wheel well lining. My connector was covered in mud and took some time to pull apart but once it was I was able to use a test light and, with my flashers on, was able to determine that the wiring going to the plug was good and I was getting no power from the fuse box. The fuse box was easy to pull up (only 4 tabs holding it in pace) and thats where I found my issue. The pin holding in the green wire had backed off from the fuse connection and was no longer making contact. After that repair was made to the pin I was able to see voltage to all 7 pins on the trailer plug and backing my truck up to my trailer and connecting it I saw all of my lights finally working.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
So it took all afternoon but I found the culprit. For those that arent aware, the wiring harness that the trailer wiring runs through goes down the driver side of the frame to a connector thats in the wheel well behind the driver side front tire. To get to that you have to pull away/pull off the wheel well lining. My connector was covered in mud and took some time to pull apart but once it was I was able to use a test light and, with my flashers on, was able to determine that the wiring going to the plug was good and I was getting no power from the fuse box. The fuse box was easy to pull up (only 4 tabs holding it in pace) and thats where I found my issue. The pin holding in the green wire had backed off from the fuse connection and was no longer making contact. After that repair was made to the pin I was able to see voltage to all 7 pins on the trailer plug and backing my truck up to my trailer and connecting it I saw all of my lights finally working.
All too often wiring issues comes down to something simple, that 90% of people will never have an issue that has the same root cause. Pins in fuse blocks DO back out sometimes, but it's not really a 'common' issue for it to be the exact same pin.

More often than not the issue is wire abrasion (wire rubs against something, wears off the outer coating, and grounds out to metal). Lucky for you this wasn't the case this time.

Either way, thanks for the update, all too many people never report back with what fixed their issue. I've even been guilty of it from time to time.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

As previously mentioned, excellent work and thanks for the update.

This type of information is an important part of what makes this site so valuable to many users.

And, welcome.gif to Ram Forums.

We hope you continue to contribute and learn here, just like the rest of us. :cool:

OP
OP
MountainRunner775

MountainRunner775

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
I appreciate it guys, had it not been so late in the day and so long into the diagnosis I would have gotten pictures but I had only gotten one and that was the location of the connector in the wheel well. I look forward to learning more from everyone and giving my experience as well