Need Help with an Oil Leak on a 2018 Ram 3.6L!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sliiiiider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
So, Santa this year gifted me an oil leak, Yeah!!! I have a 2018 Dodge Ram 1500 (gas), with a 3.6L v6. I have currently 118,000 miles and my last oil change was about 7500 miles ago. To my knowledge this is the first time I have discovered a leak on my truck. After I noticed the leak, I checked my oil and I had to add 2 quarts to bring it back to full. Oil pressure gage in the dash reads 22 - 35 at a warmed up idle, I think it is about 75 to 82 when I start up the truck and let it idle. I have added 6 pictures, I titled them the best I could to help orientate you to the view. Oil seems to be on the top of the oil pan, all over the Transmission pan, residue on the Transmission bell housing, the cross support frame beam and some on the exhaust pipes. There are oil spots on the ground.

Any advice and guidance would be awesome!!!

Attachments

• Drivers side Oil Pan Transmission Pan View.jpg
    Drivers side Oil Pan Transmission Pan View.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Drivers Side Tranmission Pan View.jpg
    Drivers Side Tranmission Pan View.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 44
  • Drivers Side Transmiision Pan Cross Member View.jpg
    Drivers Side Transmiision Pan Cross Member View.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Passenger Side Transmission Oil Pan Bell Housing View.jpg
    Passenger Side Transmission Oil Pan Bell Housing View.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Passenger Side Transmission Pan View.jpg
    Passenger Side Transmission Pan View.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Passenger Side Back of Engine Top View.jpg
    Passenger Side Back of Engine Top View.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 44
OP
OP
S

Sliiiiider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I am not to much of a mechanic. Where is the oil cooler?

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
degrease the whole area , then start let run a bit and a short drive ,then finding the source should be a lot easier . With it cleaned up it is also nicer to do the repair.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Under the intake manifold, it seems to be fairly common.

RamminMopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Jeeps with the 3.6 have been flooding the forums with oil cooler leaks because of the recent artic temps

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Jeeps with the 3.6 have been flooding the forums with oil cooler leaks because of the recent artic temps

Its because its cheap plastic junk. FCA just trying to save a dollar instead of building a part that lasts.

I have the Aluminum one here in my parts bin for the wife's JK as a precaution.

Jamesp828

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, Santa this year gifted me an oil leak, Yeah!!! I have a 2018 Dodge Ram 1500 (gas), with a 3.6L v6. I have currently 118,000 miles and my last oil change was about 7500 miles ago. To my knowledge this is the first time I have discovered a leak on my truck. After I noticed the leak, I checked my oil and I had to add 2 quarts to bring it back to full. Oil pressure gage in the dash reads 22 - 35 at a warmed up idle, I think it is about 75 to 82 when I start up the truck and let it idle. I have added 6 pictures, I titled them the best I could to help orientate you to the view. Oil seems to be on the top of the oil pan, all over the Transmission pan, residue on the Transmission bell housing, the cross support frame beam and some on the exhaust pipes. There are oil spots on the ground.

Same exact thing happened to me the other day with my 2016 ram 1500 with the 3.6. For reference I am in MN where we recently had a few days of arctic weather. I was able to diagnose the problem after reading a few things online. Leak is coming from my oil filter housing. Didnt know if it was the gaskets or the housing itself so I ordered everything and it should be showing up tomorrow. After tearing it apart today I was able to confirm it is the gaskets but I plan on installing the upgraded aluminum housing anyways. I have around $350 in parts (including housing, gaskets, oil, filter, and coolant). The shop I called said it would be atleast $1k with parts and labor. If you are mechanically inclined at all you would be able to handle swapping everything out. It is fairly straightforward but it doesnt hurt to watch a couple videos on how it is done.

ADUBIS

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Oil filter housing is a common leak. My truck had the same mess as in your pictures. I had mine replaced yesterday under extended warranty. Unfortunately the dealer replaced it with the exact same plastic part that came out. The truck is a 2016 with only 48k miles

AdventureDad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I know this thread is getting old, but Dorman who makes the aftermarket aluminum one said when I called that they are on backorder until possibly July. EVERY place I tried was out of stock. The local places are buying the cheapo Amazon ones for $99 and charging over $250. That happened to me at a NAPA yesterday. I even watched the guy open the Changfengdong whatever box from Amazon.

1979PowerWagon360

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 TRX
Engine
I agree, clean up the mess first and you'll be able to pinpoint much easier. You're going to want to clean it up anyway. Sounds like they've pointed you to the problem. With leaking oil I always start looking at the top of the engine knowing it's going to work it's way down, then I work my way down looking for the leak. I hope you get it solved soon; leaks are so annoying.

ramrod_2023

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Curious, did you ever get this fixed and find out where the leak was?

Scincade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
So did you fix the oil leak or no?? Same thing with my RAM 1500 3.6 V6. Would like to know if it was the oil pan gasket or oil filter housing.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7