Need help with intake, exhaust and tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crockett

Reaction score
Ram Year
None yet
Engine
None yet
I just bought a leftover 2018 RAM 1500 Reg Cab Long Bed HEMI. Love the truck but really want to be able to hear that V8 more. At some point I may install a Whipple SB. That being said, I do no want any drone and nothing that is very loud. Quality goes over quantity with this one.

I do want a cold air intake for the suction noise combined with a cat back exhaust that is a great match.

1.) Is this a good intake: https://www.sbfilters.com/cold-air-intakes/dodge-ram-5-7-hemi-intake-75-5106&variant_id=189

2.) What exhaust system do you guys suggest. I do not want a dual exhaust at the rear, only something in the same spot to the side.

3.) Will I need a tuner for this setup to prevent the engine from running to lean? I want to keep the longevity. What tuner should I get?

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
1) S&B Makes a good intake
2) For your preference of no drone but rumble I would go 18" Magnaflow or Flowmaster (Everyone has their own preference)
3) Tuner isn't necessary for these mods but you can benefit from more power if you get a tuner

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
1. S&B makes a great intake. I'm running one now and the fit and finish is as close to factory as you're going to get with an aftermarket intake.

2. If you're not looking for a super loud exhaust go with a Magnaflow 24". Its quiet when you want it to be and loud under hard acceleration.

3. No tuner necessary for a cold air intake and/or exhaust. The PCM will adjust the air/fuel to compensate for the added air.

4. Congrats on the new truck and welcome to the forum!

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
1. The S&B intake is a good one.

2. I put on a Magnaflow muffler on my 6.4L powered truck. It was nice at cruising speeds, just a bit louder around town and when you went WOT you knew you had something going on under the hood.

I have a Corsa dB series performance muffler on my CTD and it sounds great.

3. I'd get a programmer and a custom tune. The difference in performance is amazing. I'd recommend a Diablosport programmer that accepts custom tunes. The combo of programmer and custom tune can be purchased from a couple of supporting vendors here, Moe's Performance and HemiFever Tuning. I had a DiabloSport I2 & a custom tune on my 6.4L truck and the results were amazing.

OP
OP
crockett

crockett

Reaction score
Ram Year
None yet
Engine
None yet
Thanks for all the great feedback. I started today by deleting the muffler and keeping the resonator in place. Great sound for a cheap mod!

I'll wait with the intake and tuner, because I'll throw a Whipple SB at the truck when it has some 10k miles on the engine without any problems. Then I'll do the entire enchilada with a matching intake, headers, cats in the trash.

Any good dyno shops around Tampa Bay with Whipple / Diablo experiences?