Need Immediate Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
I've driven tractor trailer for 5 years now, where retorques are the law, so I get em done. I have yet to see a properly torqued nut actually be loose when it comes time for a retorque.

How many miles between them doing the work and you bringing it back to them for this issue?

OP
OP
Tolson93

Tolson93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1075 miles when I checked the odometer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I paid 681$... Four tires, mounting balancing and a protection plan. Then they told me to come back and get them retorqued .. I didn't and this happened so that's everything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal

Thats ********* man, im a mechanic in an independent garage and ive been changing wheels and what not since i was 14 or younger and ive never had a nut slack off. By hand, torque wrench, torque sticks or straight impact i always double and triple check everything because if its not my life or someone elses in danger when you lose a wheel on the highway, I would be fired for a comeback of this magnitude.
Also we dont do retorques, it goes on the first time and stays on.
But that has alot to do with what i said before, if there is corrosion on the rim/hub and you dont clean it before installing the wheel you are not doing your job properly and you greatly increase the chance of a comeback. Clients dont like to comeback, often they will go to another garage to get their problem fixed if they are not stubborn enough you come back and give you ****. Either way you just lost a customer.

If i were you as a paying customer i would want the garage to assume the costs of replacing the wheel and studs. If they say **** off its time to find a new place to work/ get work done. Some protection plan right
Is this an auto/light truck garage or something else like big rigs or farm equipment? What do you do?

OP
OP
Tolson93

Tolson93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's a store called L&M fleet supply.. We have a little of everything, farm equipment , power equipment, lots of feeds for farm animals and pets, hardware tools plumbing clothing sporting goods.. Also have a auto department with a shop... Small engine repair and working on hat type of stuff. Also they do tires and batteries and simple things like that on vehicles. Not really a mechanic or anything. Just a tire and oil change type place.

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
It may be shoddy workmanship but I think you dropped the ball by not getting them re-torqued. My pop always told me to check the lug nuts after the first 50 miles. If they can meet you in the middle I think that would be pretty fair.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tolson93

Tolson93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's what I'm thinkibg

OP
OP
Tolson93

Tolson93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well finally found a rim looks brand new for 50$.. Can't wait to get that ugly spare off... Trucks already ugly with the cancer showing ...

Another question for someone who would know. Since I have a bad pinion bearing and it howls like crazy from 30-45 mph .. Could that affect my gas mileage? I know it's a Hemi and I shouldn't expect good mpg but I'm seeing on average 12-13 and most of my driving is either 55-60mph or 70-75 mpg depending on the way I take to work.. It's about 40 mins round trip a day .. I have traveled before and gotten up in 16-17 mpg so curuous if going 70 won't get best mpg or if that pinion bearing and rear end could have something to do with my gas mileage ..

4-5 more miles per gallon would help haha I'm barely making it by now. But I still love the Hemi :)

OP
OP
Tolson93

Tolson93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Curious if anyone has any ideas...

I took my truck off-road and was a little more bumpy than I liked... Pretty damn rough if you ask me.. I noticed a couple things afterwords..

1. A/c works when moving, when I would stop for a min or few mins it's start to get to like a Luke warm temp..

2. Horn sounds terrible.. Don't know hitting bumps hard wouldve messed that up? Did a dinging noise when i bottomed out once...

3. Feel some rattling type thing right under my feet it feels like when going over bumps? Also tonight just heard a little squeaking too over bumps... Not sure if that could be shocks? I jacked truck up and tire was tight like no movement.. Had new lower ball joints, wheel bearing, sway bar link, steering rack and outer tie rod done..

If anyone could maybe help on any of these that'd be appreciated.. It seems I'll never run out of questions about my truck since i have so many issues.. But thanks in advance !