Need Immediate Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Tolson93

Tolson93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Still see some smoke puff out when I rev it... Doesn't smoke out instantly , almost like when Rpms are dropping I see some smoke shoot out. But I'll update more as I figure it out, just is taking forever cause low on funds. Thanks for all the help so far everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Still see some smoke puff out when I rev it... Doesn't smoke out instantly , almost like when Rpms are dropping I see some smoke shoot out. But I'll update more as I figure it out, just is taking forever cause low on funds. Thanks for all the help so far everyone

Smoke on deccel points at the valve seals. "High vacuum state".

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
If I were you man I would accept that the truck needs some high dollar repairs and stop nickel n dimeing it... that's just money you could be saving for your valve seals.

If you're willing and able to do the work yourself, or with a buddy who might know how, valve stem seals are not an expensive job. A full set of Fel-Pro's from rockauto are $20 lol.. You'll need some other seals, gaskets and fluids while you're in there, but you COULD do it all yourself for probably $2-300, my guess. It's paying someone else to re&re the top half of your engine at $100/hr that's the expensive part. If the job is well planned, it can be done in a weekend too.

However doing that job yourself will not only teach you A LOT about working on your own vehicles, but you'll also get to know your engine intimately, and you'll know exactly what shape it's in once you get it apart.

OP
OP
Tolson93

Tolson93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay so do to that job, what other fluids and seals, and gaskets would I need?

Also, would it be good to upgrade or replace the valve springs while id be in there since I've read they have been known to break on the 03's

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine

Also, would it be good to upgrade or replace the valve springs while id be in there since I've read they have been known to break on the 03's

Yes, springs, seals and spark plugs. You will need the special valve spring tool, a air compressor and air fittings to hold the valve closed. I suggest a strong stick magnet. Paper towels to plug all the drain holes so has not to drop anything. Trans cooler quick disconnect tool. I like to pull the radiator so you have access to the crank nut to turn the motor over and can stand inside the engine compartment. So you'll need coolant. Remove the front wheels and inner fender liners for easier access. Do your research on cam installs which will cover just changing the springs/seals so you are comfortable with pulling it down taking a lot of pictures. I'm sure there will be lots of folks giving details better than I. Good luck.

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360

You'll also need a torque wrench if you haven't got one already. Rocker arm bolts are torqued to 195 in lbs or 16.25 ft lbs.

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
I just did a cam swap/springs/seals/headers etc. And RonJon just rebuilt his entire engine. Both of us did it within the last couple months. Between us, and everyone else on here, we'll do what we can to help!

BTW, because I was doing headers at the same time and I DESPISE working in tight spaces, I actually re&re'd my heads to do the valve springs n seals. The new gaskets run about $70 each side I think. You're already in there, in my opinion, buy yourself some extra insurance and do the head gaskets at the same time...

Only head ache will be removing your exhaust manifolds... sort of ur call, it can b a big head ache each way.

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Right, forgot. Well then it's just the PITA factor.. most guys seem to be fine doing the valve springs with the heads on the block so I'm sure you could manage too. Save some coin too.

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
Blue Meanies just did his valve seals while leaving the heads on. If you give him a shout I'm sure he would have a few tips, like what all he took of the engine.

OP
OP
Tolson93

Tolson93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys back with another issue I noticed...:(

So I moved back home and have a freeway all the way to work now. 70mph.

I notice at 70mph+ feels like front driver side tire shakes? Having the shop at work look at it, tires don't even have 1000 miles on them..

But the main thing is I noticed, truck wandered bad tonight... Was coasting to slow down on a off ramp and it was like swaying back and forth.. Kinda scary , and some points felt like it pulled harder to right but other times drives more straight... Any ideas? Related to the tire shaking?

Had 4 new tires, two lower ball joints, driver side wheel bearing, steering rack done not super long ago. Also tie rod ends a few months ago.

OP
OP
Tolson93

Tolson93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the alignment done with that front end work also, but had the front end work and alignment done the day before I got the new tires if that makes a big deal or not.

BlackMagnum2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Did you keep the same rims ? I'm no expert on this at all, just giving my .02. A wheel weight always could've fallen off. Pray it's something simple like that, and not something much more serious

OP
OP
Tolson93

Tolson93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know I know, same rims and everything. Just hoping the tire needs to be balanced or something and that'll end it . I can't afford anything more with this truck.

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Did you put good brand new tires on? Or off brand? Or used? Could be tire pull or a shifted belt. If they can't find something mechanically wrong with the front end, cross rotate the front tires and see if the problem changes/reverses.

OP
OP
Tolson93

Tolson93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cooper discoverer at3 all brand new is what I put on

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
If it is acting erratic, then something serious has gone wrong or broken. You need to get it inspected. Could have a loose wheel or the alignment shop left something loose. It's hard to get good help anymore.

OP
OP
Tolson93

Tolson93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Back drivers side lug nuts were loose ... Could screw them off by hand... So I tight need them until I get to work. But one of them just kept spinning? Not sure what that' is but having our shop check it out today

OP
OP
Tolson93

Tolson93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update: lug nuts did come loose, wrecked a rim and need all new lug nuts, studs, and a rim....

Also they took off parking park brake cause it was shot... I didn't have lug nuts retorqued so it's probably my fault but still should I call and complain about that? I didn't think they'd come loose like that if they were properly put on the first time...