Need some solid advice

Which truck

• Laramie ( black )

Votes: 14 38.9%
  • Big horn ( grey )

Votes: 22 61.1%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We are in the same situation. Right now considering a trade up to a new 2500. And it's an even swap. With used prices being so high. Great deal.

The only down side is a year worth of payment's that are lost and have to start all over again.

Good luck!

jagman_xjs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 2011 2019 2023
Engine
5.7 Hemi(s)
V6 vs Hemi I see no second thoughts. Not a fan of the black out but I do think it is a BETTER move. Adding a footnote here from when I posted this before. Laramie is the Cadillac of RAMs. What about keeping the Laramie and dropping a Hemi in down the road?

Last edited:

Plankton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Another factor is gas mileage. It's a small difference, but does add up. I'm dumping about 70 bucks a week into mine, but I use 93 and drive like my heads on fire most of the time, which in turn is wearing out my tires faster than normal... as well as other things. She's at 100k and I need to slow it down. lol

I'd say go for the Hemi.

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
I own a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie. V6 other than that it’s pretty loaded. I’m starting to hate the chrome on it along with the v6 which I never thought would. My issue is a local dealership has a 2020 Ram 1500 big horn hemi midnight edition. I could pretty much trade even Steven. What would you do? Same mileage 11,000

View attachment 234396

View attachment 234397

Ihave tried two V-6 3.6 RAM 1500 trucks. The 269 lbs. of torque is pathetic! No matter what you do its nothing but a very light duty truck. I doubt you will get a even steven deal. I so dislike my 14 RAM with the 3.6 I took a $4,000. hit to get what I really wanted. That was on Oct. 11, 2017. I am now down to almost $21,000. left to paying it off.

If you are young enough to eat the loss I think it would be worth giving real serious thought to. I was 72 retired and just could not see us living with a truck that could nottwo more that 4,200 pounds and could barely go up steep hills on the freeway, unless I downshifted.

Good luck.

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
Another factor is gas mileage. It's a small difference, but does add up. I'm dumping about 70 bucks a week into mine, but I use 93 and drive like my heads on fire most of the time, which in turn is wearing out my tires faster than normal... as well as other things. She's at 100k and I need to slow it down. lol

I'd say go for the Hemi.

Why use 93 octane> I use 87 and get 18 to 19.5 mpg. I tried the 93 and it did not seem to make any noticeable difference. Are you towing a lot?

Plankton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why use 93 octane> I use 87 and get 18 to 19.5 mpg. I tried the 93 and it did not seem to make any noticeable difference. Are you towing a lot?

No reason other than giddyup.

blahargoue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Be sure and check out the owner history on the used truck. Seems like now about all you can find in the used market are "Previous Daily Rentals."

That is not necessarily a bad thing if it still has low miles.

Hemimania

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I own a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie. V6 other than that it’s pretty loaded. I’m starting to hate the chrome on it along with the v6 which I never thought would. My issue is a local dealership has a 2020 Ram 1500 big horn hemi midnight edition. I could pretty much trade even Steven. What would you do? Same mileage 11,000

View attachment 234396

View attachment 234397
I agree with the hate on chrome. Go with Big horn.

sledsmacker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
RAM Sport
The interior finish on the Big Horn is a big step down tho.

andymax

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Resale value is a consideration...go look at similar same year, same engine trucks but Laramie vs Big Horn...there is a HUGE price difference. That may or may not matter at all to you depending on how you use your truck and how long you keep it. That hemi vs v6 is definitely another issue...V6 certainly has less resale value than a similar hemi, so offsets some of my resale argument.

Given that you don't value the Laramie trim as much, I say do it and get rid of that v6.

Curious how this one turns out...keep us posted.

lazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi5.7
I think that you will miss the trim level, you spend your time in the truck not looking at it. I'm outnumbered here I would keep the truck and black it out. This sounds good with a new muffler

Last edited:

Tracy in IL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
i know I grew up driving in the 80's, and a big v8 then only had about 250hp.
The modern 300HP+ V6 engines are a marvel. I drive a Ram with the V6 when I fly/rent a car. If you're not going to be towing heavy, they are by far the most reliable of the Ram engines available (BTW my own truck is a 17 with the ED for towing).

GreenF8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Option 3 - You love your Laramie. Find a '20 Laramie with the Hemi (new or used) and pay up to get the best of all worlds. I love my Laramie trim and my hemi. The inside of my '19 Laramie is nicer in every way than the Escalade it replaced
49301401211_82ce018082_c.jpg

Kukailimoku

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
What recession?

(That's what the wife and I have been saying ever since the supposed recession under Bush and the later dip again for the 'rona. No matter how bad the economy seems to be, we always see the day-glo shirt wearing crowd with better souped up trucks and jeeps then we can afford, the wife used to teach public school in a distressed zip code and no matter how ragamuffin the poor kids looked their moms mostly had better cars and fingernails than my white collar degreed professional wife ever did, all the 'poor' people in this country are fat, and on this forum we see guys all the time with one, two, or three year old big-asz expensive trucks *****-nilly toying with the idea of trading it in - usually for some trivial thing like the chrome. This is why anytime anyone mentions how bad the economy is supposed to be, we look around at the consumerism that never stops one iota, turn to each other, and say, "What recession?")

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m going with the minority opinion here. You have the higher trim level and the creature comforts are used daily as compared to actually needing the power of the V8. You’re a year into the payoff of your present truck and be honest, black and chrome vehicles have been a classic staple of the automobile almost since it’s inception. The blacked out vehicles are a bit of a fad and their day will come to a close sooner than the black truck with chrome. I’m biased as I have a 2018 BigHorn CC 4x4 in black and chrome with the V6 and I couldn’t be happier with it for my needs. When I bought my truck I got rid of a mustang GT500 and my days of driving like I stole it have been satisfied. I’m much happier with the lower maintenance cost of the pedestrian pentastar V6.

KrazyIvan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Thanks guys. I’m leaning towards getting the big horn with the hemi. Just really second guessing myself.
I have a bighorn with the 5.7L. I love hearing that Hemi when I get on it a little. If like me you like that, then by all means get the new truck. You will like it alot. Especially when you get the exhaust you choose on that bad boy!