Need to increase my payload, help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
Towing boats and towing a camper the same weight are not directly related. The camper is a large box that has quite a bit of wind resistance. So a camper takes more power that a boat does at highway speeds.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Towing boats and towing a camper the same weight are not directly related. The camper is a large box that has quite a bit of wind resistance. So a camper takes more power that a boat does at highway speeds.
Yeah I'm definitely aware of that but was talking more payload and tongue weight. But at low speeds a boat and camper are very similar since there is no drag. I have towed 8500lb campers before and there is definitely a difference at highway speeds.

sam darakjy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Tradesman Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
2016 big horn... I have a large travel trailer. If I have my whole family in my truck I'll be slightly over capacity with the bed empty. Besides tires and springs, what's my weakest link to increase my gvwr?

Weakest link is the truck itself. Upgrade to 2500

sequoia464

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you do go with heavier springs, these springs are worth looking into.

https://www.tuftruck.com/products/ttc-1211-rear-suspension-coil-spring-kit/

Call the folks at Tuf Truck - they are very helpful.

As others have said, check your axle, wheel, and tire ratings if you go over the sticker weights. Brakes come into play as well. If I remember correctly, the axles are rated high enough that you have a bit of extra there.

Officially of course, you are limited to the sticker, but I'm (very successfully) using the 1211 springs, (as are many others on this forum), I pull a trailer, and will run right up to the limits, maybe a couple of hundred pounds over. Added Eiback shocks and struts (very mild lift).

Of course a new, heavy duty, truck is the best answer, but these springs are only a couple of hundred dollars.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
On my last trip through I saw they were puling over F150s and 1500s with sled decks to check stickers and weights.

Only place in Canada I've seen a ticket for 91 in a 90 ticket upheld in court after presenting repair bill showing speedo was 2% off!
My son is out there, here, I am good at 19km over on the hiway, 121, ticket, Alberta is crazy, drive the speed limit, and grandma's will runover you.
Back to the question, Over weight, buy a 2500, It is stupid what you see pulling huge trailers down the road at or way over the speed limit Know ( knew a guy loaded a tractor on the back end of a flat deck tandem trailer, so the hitch would not drag on the road. He was a city dude, ****** tailed it into the front of a semi at 110km ( 60-70mph) The semi may not of killed him, the tractor did when it came through the back window. Or I see 3500, I never had one, but if it was a hauling truck more than anything, that would make sense.

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah I'm definitely aware of that but was talking more payload and tongue weight. But at low speeds a boat and camper are very similar since there is no drag. I have towed 8500lb campers before and there is definitely a difference at highway speeds.
Camper and boat trailers are completely different animals. Campers, aka travel trailers tend to run about 12-13% tongue weight were boats tend to run 10% or less. In most cases trailering boats is the inverse of Travel trailers. The bigger a boat gets the lower the percentage of weight transferred to the truck its due to the way the boat is mounted on the trailer and were the primary weight is in a boat. Most boat trailers for big boats are tandem or better, and the axles tend to be just forward of the transom. in short the weight rides on the trailer axle and the truck is just pulling and stopping it verse actually carrying it, kinda like a farm trailer with front and rear axles. That's why a 1500 can tow 8 to 10K lbs of boat, but is limited to 6 - 8K lbs for a TT.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
^ yep. My boat/trailer combo weighs about 9300lbs but I only have about 750-800lbs of tongue weight. That same weight in a trailer will be about 1200lbs tongue weight. I have not towed his big camper with a 2500 yet (will tomorrow) but have towed it with my old 1500. Have also towed my boat with my old 1500 too so I can compare them apples to apples. At low speed from a stop you can't tell the difference. You can definitely feel the difference when being passed by a semi or when you hit bumps.

I have towed my boat a few times with the 2500. Tomorrow morning me and my son are leaving from Baytown, TX in his truck that is identical to mine and will be towing his 9000lb TT. That will be my first time towing that heavy of a TT with a 2500 but he will be driving most of the way.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Camper and boat trailers are completely different animals. Campers, aka travel trailers tend to run about 12-13% tongue weight were boats tend to run 10% or less. In most cases trailering boats is the inverse of Travel trailers. The bigger a boat gets the lower the percentage of weight transferred to the truck its due to the way the boat is mounted on the trailer and were the primary weight is in a boat. Most boat trailers for big boats are tandem or better, and the axles tend to be just forward of the transom. in short the weight rides on the trailer axle and the truck is just pulling and stopping it verse actually carrying it, kinda like a farm trailer with front and rear axles. That's why a 1500 can tow 8 to 10K lbs of boat, but is limited to 6 - 8K lbs for a TT.
I agree, I have towed alot of boats between Upstate New York and Wisconsin and I've also pulled straight trailers and fifth wheels. Boat handle so much differently than a travel trailer. One Quirk about boats, their center of gravity tends to be a bit higher then a comprable size trailer due to the fact that the motor is a bit higher up then all of the camping supplies and tanks on a travel trailer.

Willie Mosher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 gas
My I ask, is truck your 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton? Payload? Your gear ratio?engine?
Max tow by book?
Your trailer empty Wt an max Trailer Wt?

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
My I ask, is truck your 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton? Payload? Your gear ratio?engine?
Max tow by book?
Your trailer empty Wt an max Trailer Wt?
I asked similar questions the beginning of page 2, no response

Jeremy Fry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2016 big horn... I have a large travel trailer. If I have my whole family in my truck I'll be slightly over capacity with the bed empty. Besides tires and springs, what's my weakest link to increase my gvwr?
Oh that's easy. I put the kids and wife in another car and make her follow me :) Makes the ride a lot more peaceful too.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Oh that's easy. I put the kids and wife in another car and make her follow me :) Makes the ride a lot more peaceful too.

We bought a toy hauler, because I was sick of the caravan. Truck/travel trailer, suv/SxS. The kids were split up, and I usually only had one with me. Now we’re all in the truck with one kid complaining about the front seat, and 3 bickering in the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeremy Fry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
We bought a toy hauler, because I was sick of the caravan. Truck/travel trailer, suv/SxS. The kids were split up, and I usually only had one with me. Now we’re all in the truck with one kid complaining about the front seat, and 3 bickering in the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I get you. It's a serious pain especially if you're going for a long trip.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L

This! And a whole lot less distractions also!