Towing help for someone brand new to trucks and towing.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a 2019 1500 with a 5.7 in a Quad cab, two wheel drive and 3.21 axle and the placard on the door jamb says max tow in 6900 pounds.

How does he his vehicle get to 8000?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 96278 miles.
I haven't seen any placard on any sticker that tells you what your towing capacity is. I think you're looking at GVWR - Gross Vehicle Weight Rating - which is the maximum amount your truck can weigh, including all the payload you can stuff into the front and back. Which also includes you and the family.

netshadoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi/no eTorque
Do you have a sunroof on your truck? Just curious, I haven't weighed my truck yet but if you do we should be roughly the same weight.
I do…the sport models are pretty much the same with minor differences.

netshadoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi/no eTorque
I have a 2019 1500 with a 5.7 in a Quad cab, two wheel drive and 3.21 axle and the placard on the door jamb says max tow in 6900 pounds.

How does he his vehicle get to 8000?
I have never seen a RAM truck with tow rating on a door jamb. Mine is 8200lbs per RAM’s charts. The only number I have near that 6900lbs is my GVWR which is 7100lbs.

netshadoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi/no eTorque
You guys have dot weigh scales along your highways that are similar to the weigh scales in Canada. Why are you not using them to get your weights rather than paying out of pocket to use CAT scales?
Not sure if they’re open for public use here in Ontario. Never tried.

Closest DOT scale for me is farther away than the CAT scale. Towing the rig there and back would be a wash in the amount of fuel to burn there and back compared to just going to the local CAT scale. Initial weigh here in Canada is $23 with each re-weigh at $6. I’d burn more than that doing the 60mile round trip to the closest DOT scale.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have never seen a RAM truck with tow rating on a door jamb. Mine is 8200lbs per RAM’s charts. The only number I have near that 6900lbs is my GVWR which is 7100lbs.
You are correct. My comment was in serious error. I had transposed GVWR with towing for some unknown mental reason. I can't even blame this on Jim Beam!

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 96389 miles.

OP
OP
ram71093

ram71093

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Another question for the group... I'm looking for trailers with a dry weight of 5,500ish and I hopefully won't exceed 6,500lbs. When looking, does it matter if the dry weight is say 5500 but the fully loaded weight is 7500+ if I don't plan on traveling with any water and only looking to put less than 1500lbs of gear?

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Another question for the group... I'm looking for trailers with a dry weight of 5,500ish and I hopefully won't exceed 6,500lbs. When looking, does it matter if the dry weight is say 5500 but the fully loaded weight is 7500+ if I don't plan on traveling with any water and only looking to put less than 1500lbs of gear?
The dry weight of the trailer is without anything in it, water or anything. Full propane tanks add weight plus the battery. So if you don't intend on putting anything inside other than food, clothing, bedding, water/sewer hook ups, adult beverages a grill, toys for the kiddos or any other items, those items are what are adding weight to the dry weight of the trailer. So if you dry weight of a trailer is 5200 lbs., add 60 lbs for a battery, 100 lbs., for the full propane tanks, and then 800 lbs of food, clothing, bedding, accessories, grill, toys, 5460 lbs. would be your trailer weight loaded, if that's all you bring, for an example. You'd have to know what everything weighs...as far as the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating, that just lets you know the max of what the trailer is...really shouldn't get that heavy for safety margin.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ram71093

ram71093

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The dry weight of the trailer is without anything in it, water or anything. Full propane tanks add weight plus the battery. So if you don't intend on putting anything inside other than food, clothing, bedding, water/sewer hook ups, adult beverages a grill, toys for the kiddos or any other items, those items are what are adding weight to the dry weight of the trailer. So if you dry weight of a trailer is 5200 lbs., add 60 lbs for a battery, 100 lbs., for the full propane tanks, and then 800 lbs of food, clothing, bedding, accessories, grill, toys, 5460 lbs. would be your trailer weight loaded, if that's all you bring, for an example. You'd have to know what everything weighs...as far as the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating, that just lets you know the max of what the trailer is...really shouldn't get that heavy for safety margin.
Thanks, I guess what I mean is.. I've been looking at the bullet 243bh with a weight of 6500lb max and it's a good trailer for my truck. I recently saw a nice trailer with the same dry weight as the bullet of roughly 5300lbs, but the fully loaded weight was over 1000lbs heavier. Does that matter if I wouldn't actually tow at the max weight? If theoretically (with no water) I towed either trailer at about 6000lbs? Hopefully this question makes sense.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Either trailer not at their max gross weight would be fine....especially if both are at 6k lbs. loaded out with your gear. The higher gross max for the other trailer is just saying that trailer has more suspension to carry the weight.

OP
OP
ram71093

ram71093

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Either trailer not at their max gross weight would be fine....especially if both are at 6k lbs. loaded out with your gear. The higher gross max for the other trailer is just saying that trailer has more suspension to carry the weight.
Thanks, that's what I was hoping but wasn't sure

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The dry weight of your TT is just that...only the weight of the trailer as it came off the end of the factory line. The GVWR is max the trailer can weight, which is the dry weight + the Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC) including all your gear, water, pots, pans, etc. If the TT says 5500# dry weight, and the GVWR is 7500#, it simply means that you can load 2000# of cargo into it, it doesn't mean you have to. Like OC455 said, you would have to know what each piece of gear weighs that you put in it.

Last edited:

DinkyDauBilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
"... although I know absolutely nothing about trucks, towing etc ...".

Take a look at this:

Scroll down to the bottom for links to the other chapters in the series.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
This is seriously the best towing forum of all time lol. So much great info and I appreciate it all!
Another great forum you should look into is iRV2. Great information on the camping do's & dont's. You mentioned getting groceries after you get all set up. I personally would not like doing it that way. It is usually really hot, & after I set up, I am most likely worn out from the day. Last thing I would want to do is get back into a vehicle to "hopefully" find a grocery store. Sometimes a store is 20-30 minutes away. We only run to town if we forgot or run out of something. But you will learn as you go what works best for you. I do highly recommend that forum though. Very helpful information like you get on here.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Another great forum you should look into is iRV2. Great information on the camping do's & dont's. You mentioned getting groceries after you get all set up. I personally would not like doing it that way. It is usually really hot, & after I set up, I am most likely worn out from the day. Last thing I would want to do is get back into a vehicle to "hopefully" find a grocery store. Sometimes a store is 20-30 minutes away. We only run to town if we forgot or run out of something. But you will learn as you go what works best for you. I do highly recommend that forum though. Very helpful information like you get on here.

This. Pack what you think you'll need, or even stop at a grocery store on the way and load up as a worst-case scenario. But once you're set up, you're not going to want to go back out for a bit. It's more work than people realize to setup and tear down camp, even with a camper.

chopperdog45

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
This. Pack what you think you'll need, or even stop at a grocery store on the way and load up as a worst-case scenario. But once you're set up, you're not going to want to go back out for a bit. It's more work than people realize to setup and tear down camp, even with a camper.
100% agree. I generally will get everything not grocery related loaded up in my camper the day before my trip, and also buy whatever groceries I need. I prep any food that needs prepped and bring my groceries over to the camper either the night before my trip, or the morning of the trip. I also try to make my first meal of the camping trip something that requires very little work to prepare. That way once I get to my campground, I set my camper up and am ready to eat.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
This. I'm also a member there.

Rule of thumb.... calculate whether or not your truck can tow it based on the GVWR of the trailer. Stuff adds up in it fast and before you know it, you'll be at the max trailer weight. Then add in ~100 lbs for the WDH, add in some margin for cargo in the truck (I usually plan for 300-400 lbs) and THEN determine on paper what your remaining payload on the truck will be. I use 15% to calculate the trailer weight. Always leave a margin of error. If it looks close to using up all your payload don't do it. Chances are, you WILL exceed it.

If the payload on the truck is 1,400 lbs and the GVWR of the trailer is 6,500:

6,500 * 15% = 975 lb hitch weight
WDH = 100 lbs
Truck cargo (firewood, extra people, dogs, etc..) = 400 lbs

975+100+400 = 1,475 lbs anticipated payload. If it's even close I won't bother with CAT scales. It wouldn't be worth it. But if it's within 5-600 lbs of payload I would then weight it on a CAT scale and get the true weight.

That's what I would PLAN for. Could the truck do it a couple of times? Probably. Would you want to do it? Probably not for long.

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I recently purchased a 2019 Canadian sport 1500 with a 5.7 hemi ,crew cab 4x4, 5'7 bed and 3.21 gears. On the sticker on the inside of the door it says the max payload is 1423lbs and total weight of the truck is 7,100lbs. I want to eventually get a travel trailer and the Keystone Rv Travel Trailer RVBullet 243BHS seems like a perfect match although I know absolutely nothing about trucks, towing etc lol (although I'm trying to learn before any TT purchase). The specs of the TT ...
Dry Weight
5,088 lbs.
Payload Capacity
1,412 lbs.
GVWR
6,500 lbs.
Hitch Weight
580 lbs.
is this safely doable? Thanks in advance
No problem whatsoever. Your truck will pull that pretty easily.
Just remember, proper weight distribution is your friend. It makes all the difference in the world on the road.

One tip if you plan to fill the water tank on your trailer, is to plan a spot closer to your destination to fill up. Keeps towing weight down and helps to save on fuel.
Assuming a 30gal fresh tank, that's about 240lbs you can trim.

Last edited:

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I can't find the tow chart for the 2019 MY, but for 2023 the chart says your max towing capacity is right about 8000#. Even with a max loaded TT at 6500# you still have over 20% safety margin on weight so you should be fine. Be careful, take it slow, have fun. There will be a learning curve involved so don't get frustrated.
That's interesting. I knew there would be some difference, but hadn't realized the tow cap was so much lower with the 3:21 rear end.
I was able to find a chart confirming 8,040lbs for the 2019.

Makes me even happier to have the 3:92s with an extra couple thousand pounds of wiggle room.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That's interesting. I knew there would be some difference, but hadn't realized the tow cap was so much lower with the 3:21 rear end.
I was able to find a chart confirming 8,040lbs for the 2019.

Makes me even happier to have the 3:92s with an extra couple thousand pounds of wiggle room.
The main difference between the gear ratios is when you first start moving. After you get up to speed the difference pretty much disappears.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
all good info above. our travel trailer was 4700# as delivered and 56-5800# when towing. the gross was 7000# but even tho I thought the wife was packing everything we owned in there, we never were over 6000#. we towed that 28' trailer all over the place with my '19 laramie 4x4 ccsb 5.7 with the 3.92 gears. it towed great and liked to settle in around 68-70. like others have said, good to have everything you need when you get to camp. after towing and then setting up we usually had something easy for dinner like burgers or even pasta salad and a cool beverage or two. save the big cooking for the next day. on long travel days I always plan ahead for a good spot to pull over for lunch in the trailer. we recently traded that trailer for a 5th wheel and bought a 2500 laramie to pull it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat