Need to replace my shocks...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old Fart

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I posted this in the Power Wagon section but got no response...maybe better luck here :)

I need to change the shocks on my 2005 Power Wagon...they are the original ones!!

I tried searching but got little results. I sense that they are the same as a regular 2500 series but I would like confirmation please?

I would like the truck to have a smoother ride so do I need to stick with Bilsteins? How about the Rancho 5000 series?

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Bilsteins are a top quality shock durable, reliable and not cheap. The rancho’s are a decent shock for the price, ride comfort is way better then stock but bilsteins have a lifetime warranty I think, don’t quote me on that though.

OP
OP
Old Fart

Old Fart

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the replies. My main concern is if they are the same as the 2500 model?

OP
OP
Old Fart

Old Fart

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok...did some more research by going to Bilstein's website and found that the shocks are the same for the PW and the 2500...I hate it when I forget to do the simplest things, lol!!

Now as for what shocks to get, I forgot to mention that I'm a cheap SOB and don't want to spend too much on the truck. The Bilstein 5100 will cost me $520 CDN + tax and the Rancho RS5000X will be $255 CDN + tax at Rock Auto. I would prefer the Bilsteins, but for the price difference are the Ranchos a bad thing for the truck? They also offer a lifetime warranty...but so does Monroe with the Gas Magnum and the Reflex brands.

I could also go the cheapest route and get the Gas Magnums for $226 CDN??

Last edited:

KSMegaOwner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 MegaCab 3500
Engine
Cummins
Spend the money on the 5100 Bilstein's. They are totally worth it, those Ranchos aren't even close in durability and ride. Just my opinion.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Ok...did some more research by going to Bilstein's website and found that the shocks are the same for the PW and the 2500...I hate it when I forget to do the simplest things, lol!!

Now as for what shocks to get, I forgot to mention that I'm a cheap SOB and don't want to spend too much on the truck. The Bilstein 5100 will cost me $520 CDN + tax and the Rancho RS5000X will be $255 CDN + tax at Rock Auto. I would prefer the Bilsteins, but for the price difference are the Ranchos a bad thing for the truck? They also offer a lifetime warranty...but so does Monroe with the Gas Magnum and the Reflex brands.

I could also go the cheapest route and get the Gas Magnums for $226 CDN??
If you can’t get the bils and it’s just because your cheap like you said then you will regret it. The rancho’s won’t hurt anything but are nowhere near as comfortable, the couple sets I had in my days weren’t bad, got around 50k+ on each set but they were on much lighter trucks. It’s all up to you bud. Gl on your choosing.

OP
OP
Old Fart

Old Fart

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I really hate being on a budget but I'm retired and still putting my son through university. That is why I asked the question. If you got 50K+ on your set of Ranchos, even it if it was a lighter truck, way more miles that I will ever put on the truck. I usually drive around 4-5000 kms per year.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
At that little amount of driving they’ll rot out before they go bad lol.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Go Bilstein, the Ranchos will not ride as good as the Bilsteins and certainly will not last as long. They rust out easily and quickly. The Bilsteins are a far better shock.

Message me if you would like a quote.

OP
OP
Old Fart

Old Fart

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
At that little amount of driving they’ll rot out before they go bad lol.

That's my thinking as well!! If I were still working and driving more miles, I wouldn't hesitate to put Bilsteins. But I figure I could put lesser quality shocks and still be ok.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Old Fart

Old Fart

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Go Bilstein, the Ranchos will not ride as good as the Bilsteins and certainly will not last as long. They rust out easily and quickly. The Bilsteins are a far better shock.

Message me if you would like a quote.

I realize that and wish I could buy Bilstein, but it just not in the budget. I guess another way to ask the question is which one is second best??

OP
OP
Old Fart

Old Fart

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Might be going with the Monroe Reflex shocks? A few mechanic friends suggested them.

OP
OP
Old Fart

Old Fart

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Since there is no negative opinions about Monroe Reflex, that's what I'm going to order.

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 SLT Quad Cab Short Bed
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bilstein doesn't offer the 4600 HD Shock for your application? If they do they will be cheaper then the 5100's and are a good shock.

OP
OP
Old Fart

Old Fart

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your link doesn't work. I presume the $340 is USD, so it makes it about $450 CDN which is higher than budget. I went to Bilsteinlifts.com and with shipping it comes to $431 US or $564 CDN. The 4 Reflex shocks at Rock Auto are $255 CDN shipped.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Your link doesn't work. I presume the $340 is USD, so it makes it about $450 CDN which is higher than budget. I went to Bilsteinlifts.com and with shipping it comes to $431 US or $564 CDN. The 4 Reflex shocks at Rock Auto are $255 CDN shipped.
Crap, sorry bud. I thought I was helping.