Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boothby1952

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Needing some ideas for 2012 RAM Express, 5.7, auto...here are the problems I’m having with this truck. Any info will be extremely appreciated.

1. As I’m driving, engine cuts out until accelerator pedal is tapped a couple times.
2. Trac Control/serv4x4 lights come on at same time, intermittently. I can drive 20 miles without incident or I can drive 1 mile and they both light up.
3. No click when key turned. But clicking sound when steering wheel is moved in either direction.
4. Shift lever sticks until pushing hard on brake pedal.
5. Which starts a better fire, diesel or kerosene?

I have taken this to several garages and no codes were found. Except #3 and #4 as this just happened. Ran well until I replaced front rotors and pads. But can’t understand this would have anything to do with the no click and shifter problems. Again, thanks for any ideas...

XCELLR8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
1. Throttle Position Sensor bad. (Would think code would be set) Check for shorts in wiring and make sure ground is clean.
2. Damaged ABS wiring or sensor. Possible damage during brake work?
3. No Answers for you.
4. Check to see if brake lights and shift interlock work at same time. If so, possible bad brake sensor switch. If not, could be sticking shifter inlock.
5. Neither starts a fire. I suggest a match.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I would check the ABS system, if no where else to start

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have they checked the brake switch? When mine went out I was getting errors for traction control, Brake and maybe 4-wheel drive. I got several errors. Hooking up to my scanner it never did indicate a faulty brake switch (that's one thing about scanners is they never just indicate what the problem is --you gotta 'dig' for it). However by pressing on the brake a number of times I did see one time where it indicated. New brake switch cured the problems.

If your truck has a number of miles on it, consider replacing it. It's something easy to do. The switch, as I've posted on other threads, weights like 20 grams ...no wonder they flake out a lot.

You might also want to look at the ecm and see if there's any corrosion in it. Reseat the fuses (not the airbag fuses though). And make sure the battery/engine & body grounds are very good.

There could very possibly be a faulty gas pedal switch (assembly) too by your description. If it turns out to be the accelerator, I'd still replace the brake switch due to age and ease of replacement (and they're not very expensive). Good insurance to prevent future problems.

OP
OP
boothby1952

boothby1952

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you for your suggestions.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Almost everything on that list could be ignition related, bypass ignition with the TIPM and see what remains.

Here is a link, do it exactly like this, even if just temporary to diagnose. If you do this use the cig lighter relay, you can even hide the push button under dash or somewhere cool, someone would have to know about it to use it, a second way to start your truck.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Nothing burns better then gas, but kerosene has a lower flash point then diesel and is safer then gas, so kerosene would be the good choice.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could be a wheel sensor shorting out. Don't know if you can use Alphaobd to scan, maybe jscan can do it, to diagnose which one.

I don't understand what are you trying to say with click or no click?

Are you parked on an incline? That could make the trans shifter to stick more than normal if you didn't use the parking brake before going into park.

No idea what starts a fire better. I use gas or wood starter fluid or whatever is called.

OP
OP
boothby1952

boothby1952

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just want to thank everyone's input. After checking out the all the suggestions, it was the starter. Now, to get it out. And no, I have yet to turn the ram into a bonfire. Thanks again

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Makes sense, hopefully it is just aged and not a TIPM shorting out. If the starter goes out again replace it again but try the bypass above before starting it first time. Battery is good too?

OP
OP
boothby1952

boothby1952

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, new battery. By the way it looks, it's probably the original...

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Starter? Now I am wondering because I just replaced my battery thinking I would cure a rough labored start up and it’s still doing it if it sits for a day so now I don’t know if it is a fuel issue. Battery definitely didn’t fix it.

OP
OP
boothby1952

boothby1952

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No. Just the not starting. The other issues are a separate pain in the a$$. Still trying to determine where they originate from.

OP
OP
boothby1952

boothby1952

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll consider your offer.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dam!...that's quite a few issues there..
I was thinking more along the the lines if a TIPM issue also.
Steering deal I had thoughts of a clockspring.
shifter deal..thinking the interlock(wasnt there a recall on that).
I'm definitely no dodge wrench gearhead but I did stay at holiday inn last night..lol
Just houghts here, as I just had the TYPM go bad due to improper grounding shorting out(stealerships words).....from some aftermarket lights whom I wont say....they been good to me.
But I hope you get those issues fixed.
I can definitely say my 2010 has some of the weirdest electrical hiccups every now and then I've ever seen in a vehicle....totally not explainable and not reproduceable.

OP
OP
boothby1952

boothby1952

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I also thought of the clock spring but no code showing it. There is about an inch of play at center and a slight resistance passing those 2 points when turning either direction. Still working on the trac control code and ser4x4. Actually...I'd like to have my old 92 Ram 1 ton diesel back. Never had any trouble like this with the old beast.

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Crack a fuel fitting loose under the hood, the fire will happen naturally