New Battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rockycmt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hdmi 5.7
Looking to get a new battery for my 2017 1500. 5.7l. What is everyone getting?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Asking about what battery to use is about one step under asking what oil to use.
Whatever you buy, consider switching to an AGM type battery instead of a flooded cell design.
Your truck uses a H7 size battery with a 730 CCA rating. You can go with a higher CCA rating and you can even use an H8 size battery.
I'll throw my hat in the ring, I'll recommend Odyssey batteries, they're a little pricey but made here in the US. The Odyssey part for your truck is: 94R-850 or you can use the same one as in my EcoD which is a 49-950.

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
What he said ☝️

However, I have always used Diehard which is now carried by Advance Auto I believe but since I was working at Walmart at the time I bought a Everstart H7 AGM and have had now issues. It also has a 4 year full replacement warranty.

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you are going to change your battery, definitely look for the thread that tells you how to go a size up like earlier said. It’s very easy, and you get the benefits of more CCA as well as a deeper reserve. I did mine and was a very worthwhile upgrade.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Odyssey AGM94r-850 LN4-H7

Some guys like upsizing to H8 to add a bunch more electronic loads, subwoofers, etc.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Asking about what battery to use is about one step under asking what oil to use.
Whatever you buy, consider switching to an AGM type battery instead of a flooded cell design.
Your truck uses a H7 size battery with a 730 CCA rating. You can go with a higher CCA rating and you can even use an H8 size battery.
I'll throw my hat in the ring, I'll recommend Odyssey batteries, they're a little pricey but made here in the US. The Odyssey part for your truck is: 94R-850 or you can use the same one as in my EcoD which is a 49-950.
Which series odyssey battery are you running ? Tks

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought a Walmart battery listed for the Ram. I don't normally buy Walmart batteries, but at the time, they had the Ram one (at the time) in stock. It is made by Johnson Controls Inc, and was/is an exact duplicate of my original RAM battery (which was also made by JCI per the Chrysler sticker). Fits perfect in the battery cover/tray. Got a little over 10 yrs out of the original, so that's good enough for me. And the Walmart Batteries in various tests do really well.

Johnson Controls supplies 80% of the batteries out there (under different names). The main thing if you want longevity is to get one of their (or any companies) premium lead-acid batteries (new lead/new acid, thicker plates, more internal supports). Just look at the battery weights and warranty. Longevity is also a factor of the climate you live in and how often the battery goes flat (and for how long) ..among a few other things. Where I live is about as optimal for battery life as a person can get. Guys who live in the S. where it's hotter don't get that kind of life. I've gotten about the same lifespan out of Optima batteries which are about 60-90% more (depending if you go Optima Redtop or yellow-top). ..so the value *for me* is with a standard FLA, therefore I mostly buy FLA batteries anymore. But I do have two Yellow-top's around as well. Good luck!!

But buy whatever trips your trigger and fits your budget.

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Which series odyssey battery are you running ?
It's the Performance series, I don't believe they offer an Extreme version in the correct Group/DIN size(H7/H8) that fits the Ram trucks.
AGM94r-850 LN4-H7
Just an FYI about battery sizes for those looking at different batteries. The LN4 is the European Norm size or referred to as the EN Code. It's sometimes shortened to just L4 and is the equivalent of an H7 (DIN size) battery.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Last I checked it's made by Johnson Controls. Be the same as the Walmart and AC Delco ...and other parts store versions with a different sticker and different color plastic. That's what originally came in my truck (but with a Chrysler sticker -- that had 'by Johnson Controls' stenciled in tiny print in the corner).

It'll work for ya. My original lasted 10 yrs. They make good batteries. Happy truckin!

cityredneck

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i went with walmarts evermaxx h8 (i think thats wat it is) been a couple of years no issues

Richard Kim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just replaced my battery with another Costco Interstate battery. Cranking was slower than usual; exchanged the battery for a new one with no questions asked. It was within the 36 month warranty period.

RDNKB34R

Reaction score
Odyssey AGM94r-850 LN4-H7

Some guys like upsizing to H8 to add a bunch more electronic loads, subwoofers, etc.
IF you're not planning on a bigger electronics load , would going up one size be a BAD thing? At all? Sorry I'm a 49 yr old newb here.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I'll go against the grain and say the type of battery you should get, and I'm talking battery chemistry, is what will work best for you. No sense in spending additional coin on, for example, AGM chemistry if you are not going to reap the feature of AGM.

The best battery is the one that is on sale.

oldroy61

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Turbo Diesel
Go with Walmart everstart there's Walmarts everywhere everywhere

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I usually buy lead acid batteries for my cars and get good life from them. Walmart has some of the best prices and they have always served me well. Now on our van that has the auto stop start and comes with agm and requires the same in replacement.... I will buy agm for that one.