New HD owner (maybe)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wolfpack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Hi all,

I’m seriously considering the purchase of a 2019 3500 dually with the HO diesel and 4.1 rear end ratio for a hauler (horses). One thing I’m having a heck of a time figuring out is what is the difference between the 4x4 crew cab and 4x4 crew cab LONG BOX? Horse trailers are exclusively gooseneck (you all know that for sure) so you need the bed length to keep yourself from smashing the cab. Local inventory is slim to say the least so I’m looking at driving a couple of hours to get to some better delearships and I want to be in full possession of the facts before I stroll onto a lot and get mobbed and lied to.

Thanks!

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
4x4 crew cab = 6.4 ft bed,

4x4 crew cab long box = 8.0 ft bed

Welcome to RamForum.

OP
OP
W

wolfpack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Thanks!

I thought all duallys were long beds but I guess not.

Any other advice on what to look for/avoid on such a truck? I’m thinking about a 3-horse slant load with living quarters, so no small trailer. 25-30 ft long and probably 10k+ lbs dry.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
You have 2 choices with duallys.

Mega Cab which will have a small box.

Or the regular crew cab with the long box or 8' bed. 99% of duallys on the lot will be your standard crew cab long box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Ram offers a Gooseneck and Fifth Wheel hitch prep kit(including trailer plug in the bed) available both from the factory or installable after the fact. When hitches are removed, the bed floor is flat.

OP
OP
W

wolfpack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
OP
OP
W

wolfpack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
After looking more, it seems that Ram just prints LONG BOX on the Longhorn stickers and not on the LIMITED stickers. Weird, but OK. Guess two different employees typed that up!

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I've seen some longbox trucks and the window sticker didn't say it was a long box. But that 8' bed do stand out.

Most crew cabs come in a short box configuration.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I have a 2019 3500 Crewcab, Dually, Longbox, Cummins HO/Aisin, with 4.10 gears and rear air suspension. I pull a 41' Sundowner toyhauler, which is exactly like an LQ horse trailer, but with a garage where the horses would be. With my normal load it puts almost 4,900 lbs on the hitch. This truck pulls it like a locomotive.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
As stated. The dually will be a 8 foot bed in regular cab and crew cab.

To get the shorter 6'4 box you have to get the MegaCab and that is the only way it is offered.

So if you see crewe cab dually it will be 8 foot bed.

UFBret

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Wolfpack - it is absolutely false that a longbed is needed to haul a gooseneck horse trailer. I pulled goosenecks with my F250 standard bed for years. I just bought a 2500 Cummins with the standard 6' bed and will be installing a B&W gooseneck hitch in it to tow 2 different gooseneck horse trailers. One a Featherlite aluminum gooseneck, and also an older all steel stock sides gooseneck. Also, horse trailers are not exclusively gooseneck. Actually, bumper pull horse trailers are probably just as popular. I prefer the gooseneck because they just haul better since the tongue weight is directly over the rear axle instead of behind the truck but not everyone has a pickup truck to haul their ponies with.