New headers and blown head gasket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChuPapi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 V8
So about a month ago I put ARH Catless LT headers on my 16’ Ram 1500 5.7 8-speed. After the first couple of days the check engine light came on, which I figured would happen without a tune. Then a week ago I noticed the start up was rough, white smoke started coming out of exhaust, and it vibrated like crazy at red light for about 10 seconds. Yesterday I drove maybe 10 miles, and the high engine temp came on and then it cooled down immediately. Started it up for awhile again today and after 20 minutes did it again, out of nowhere, and afterwards I heard radiator cap bubbling and hoses moving coolant rapidly. I almost positive it’s a blown head gasket. Wondering if it could be anything else? I suppose I should have cleaned my heads better before installation, and maybe gasket seal, any advice?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So about a month ago I put ARH Catless LT headers on my 16’ Ram 1500 5.7 8-speed. After the first couple of days the check engine light came on, which I figured would happen without a tune. Then a week ago I noticed the start up was rough, white smoke started coming out of exhaust, and it vibrated like crazy at red light for about 10 seconds. Yesterday I drove maybe 10 miles, and the high engine temp came on and then it cooled down immediately. Started it up for awhile again today and after 20 minutes did it again, out of nowhere, and afterwards I heard radiator cap bubbling and hoses moving coolant rapidly. I almost positive it’s a blown head gasket. Wondering if it could be anything else? I suppose I should have cleaned my heads better before installation, and maybe gasket seal, any advice?
When you say you should have cleaned the heads better before installation, did you have the cylinder heads off of the motor for some reason? If so, were they off for a previous blown head gasket or cam/lifters?

OP
OP
C

ChuPapi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 V8
No the cylinder heads were still on, just installed new gasket and LT headers. But all I did was wipe down the heads before the install, so I might have left old built up and what not on the heads, before I put the new ones on.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm no tuning expert by any means but I highly doubt that a simple header install would cause that to happen. My buddy put headers on his 11 express when the stock manifolds cracked and he never got it tuned and he's currently near 200k miles with it.

Were you having trouble with it beforehand? Were you beating on it trying to hear how different the exhaust note would be with the new headers on???

I would let it cool down and replace the thermostat, radiator cap and fill it back up and drive it again to see what happens.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
No the cylinder heads were still on, just installed new gasket and LT headers. But all I did was wipe down the heads before the install, so I might have left old built up and what not on the heads, before I put the new ones on.
Okay just wanted to clarify that. There is nothing you did by installing the headers that could or would cause the issue you are having.

With that being said go get a block test kit from your local auto parts store and perform the block test. A block test detects combustion gases in the coolant.and the fluid used for the test changes from blue to green if combustion gases are detected.

Another test that can be performed is a cylinder leakdown test if you have an air compressor or shop air. A leakdown tester applied air pressure to a cylinder with both valves closed. You check for air escaping through the crankcase, radiator, intake and exhaust and you can determine where the problem lies.

My guess is that with white smoke on startup, a rough idle and the engine getting hot is a blown head gasket too but I would still perform a leakdown test to verify my diagnosis.