New Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Ok guys I got some real god information for a new hood for my truck and now I got a dialema again. I am now looking at replacing the screwed-up headlights I currently have for some new ones. Realize this though I am not looking for what everyone else has but something completely different. These are what I currently have and am rather disappointed with them:

Spyder® - Dodge Ram 2006-2008 Black Halo Projector Headlights with LEDs

Ok here is why I am disappointed:

1 Aiming these headlights requires you to remove them to get to the adjusting nuts. There is no way to get to them at all on the low beams when the lights are installed in the 07 Ram.
2 The color of the light coming from the lights is tinted blue no matter what bulb you stick in them. This is due to cheap projectors.
3 The cutoff for the projectors is absolutely horrible. Again causing major problems with aiming.
4 The fit is not too bad but could be improved.
5 They are in no ways "plug and play". A lot of wiring is required to hook these up, especially if you have HiD's.
6 Most HiD bulbs do not fit properly. They are too long for the projector, again going to cheap projector housings.

Ok now that is off my chest here are the ones I am looking at:

Spyder® HD-JH-DR06-AM-BK - Dodge Ram 2006-2008 Black Euro Headlights - 1500 / 2500 / 3500

Ok here are my reasons for choosing these:

1 I have yet to see anyone else with these on their truck.
2 They have that unique look I am looking for.

I will be doing several things to them before the install though:

1 I will have a set of Morimoto h1 mini projectors installed.
2 I will be installing a set of ccfl Halos.
3 I will be installing a lower amber led light strip (that may change to putting it in the top haven't decided just yet).
4 I will be using HiD's with these once I have the projectors installed.

Found these also on Carid.com: http://www.carid.com/2007-dodge-ram-headlights/spec-d-euro-headlights-12130240.html
Looked them up and found some god reviews on them. No matter what Lights I get I plan on doing the same thing to any of them. Want different most definitely.

Ok guys let me know what you think. Yall have been a lot of help in the few questions I have had so far and would love to get some feedback on this matter.:happy107:

Last edited:

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
much better! ;) those spyders SUCK!!!

OP
OP
M

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pulled the sucky ones out. Have to have my truck inspected and without the lights being aimed properly it will fail. Got my stock ones back in for now.
SO the only one that has so far responded is Jeremy and I thank you for your feedback. Would like to ask this: I can get new oem headlights at a fraction of the cost. Would it be cheaper to get those and then get you to do the install of the morimoto's and strip all the chrome off them then paint them black or no?? I am kicking a few ideas around about this, and not sure on the quality of the second set of spyder lights that I had linked. Found the Nightrunner lights also for a decent price but I do not like the amber strip on the bottom at all. Would prefer to have a completely clear lens and add led's and ccfl's to it to make them unique.

OP
OP
M

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Was thinking on this for the last few days )ok I have not quite yet gotten the new lights), but I was thinking on getting a replacement set of new oem headlights and de-chroming them. I did a bit of research on de-chroming plastic, and it seems easy enough. Has anyone tackled this yet?? Wondering if I will be getting in over my head or not. I am thinking on doing it this way for several reasons:

1 Fitment. OEM parts will fit a lot better than any aftermarket.
2 Build. Ok this is a no brainer. OEM parts are made better than aftermarket 95% of the time.
3 Quality of materials. This is a biggy for me. I hate to have cheap crap on my truck (yes I did that a couple times and learned my lesson).

Ok those are my reasons for thinking of doing it this way. I already have purchased the Morimoto H1 mini projector retrofit kit and it will be here soon. Have been holding out on the lights themselves due to doing a lot of research on them and what I want to do to them.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
OEM is great, but they are really fun to get open, especially when they are brand new.

Dechroming? So, stick it in bleach? Or oven cleaner? Can't remember which does the trick......I don't mess with that stuff. :D

OP
OP
M

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OEM is great, but they are really fun to get open, especially when they are brand new.

Dechroming? So, stick it in bleach? Or oven cleaner? Can't remember which does the trick......I don't mess with that stuff. :D

Several of my searches came up with the bleach method, oven cleaner, and acetone (acetone can destroy plastic so that is OUT). I wish I could get a set that has not ben chromed yet, that would solve the problem real fast.:suicide:

OP
OP
M

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Jeremy how fast can you get me these: TYC 07-08 Ram Headlights

and are they the oem or a good aftermarket?? Your price is the best I have found and if you could send them already disassembled that would be great. Lemme know either way on the disassembly I am willing to pay more for them that way.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Get yourself some TYC replacements, way easier to open up.

Get a 5 gallom bucket to bleach off the chrome. Works great!
If you want them black, it'll leave behind a shiny smooth black surface, or you can scuff / paint this.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
Jeremy how fast can you get me these: TYC 07-08 Ram Headlights

and are they the oem or a good aftermarket?? Your price is the best I have found and if you could send them already disassembled that would be great. Lemme know either way on the disassembly I am willing to pay more for them that way.

its takes 2-3 days to you, and I'll need a few days to take 'em apart. Shot you back an email.

OP
OP
M

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Get yourself some TYC replacements, way easier to open up.

Get a 5 gallom bucket to bleach off the chrome. Works great!
If you want them black, it'll leave behind a shiny smooth black surface, or you can scuff / paint this.

Gonna paint them a flat black once I have the chrome off them. These are the parts I will be installing into them in my project:

Bi-xenon: Morimoto Mini H1 6.0 - HID Projectors from The Retrofit Source Inc

Morimoto 3Five Ballasts (AMP) - HID Ballasts from The Retrofit Source Inc

Morimoto xbALed Angel Eyes - Accessories from The Retrofit Source Inc

H1: Morimoto 3Five - HID Bulbs from The Retrofit Source Inc

The above bulbs will be 5k.

Mopar Specific HID Relay Harness

Already bought the above harness and the rest of the parts.

2006 2007 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 2500 3500 ORACLE SMD/LED Headlight Halo Kit- Custom Lighting from Advanced Automotive Concepts

Now the above will be a bit harder to get what I want. I want an amber ring around the turn/park light. Already talked to AAC style and found out they have a shop in New Orleans so will go visit them when I have time off from work. Most likely I will see them when I have the headlights soaking in bleach.

:headbang:

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
wish I would have nabbed ya before you bought the parts. I have all of that here too, and cheaper than my own supplier sells them on their site ;)

what shrouds did you go with?

OP
OP
M

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Going with the gatlings. Gonna dechrome those too. Big project but this should take me a bit less than a week if everything goes right. Also I have not heard from the people at Retrofit yet. They have not sent the bill too me yet. So I might cancel the order through them and go with your shop to have everything coming from one place. I will see Monday. If they have not gotten back to me by noon my time I will see what the wife wants me to do. She is wanting something different for her truck also, but I let her know that she will have to wait until I get mine done first.

Last edited:

krakaman24

2018 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7L
I know I'm too late but I thought I would throw in my two cents anyway and maybe hope for some input from Jeremy. I have those same Spyder lights. Not impressed with them at all. Love the looks, but the light output is horrible. If you were planning on buying all the stuff to retro fit new projectors why didn't you just do it to the Spyder's you already had? I've been looking at it and researching. I think I may throw my stocks back in and retro in the mini morimoto projectors. I'm thinking that the better projectors will be an easy swap since the light already have projectors. At least that is what I'm hoping for.

OP
OP
M

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know I'm too late but I thought I would throw in my two cents anyway and maybe hope for some input from Jeremy. I have those same Spyder lights. Not impressed with them at all. Love the looks, but the light output is horrible. If you were planning on buying all the stuff to retro fit new projectors why didn't you just do it to the Spyder's you already had? I've been looking at it and researching. I think I may throw my stocks back in and retro in the mini morimoto projectors. I'm thinking that the better projectors will be an easy swap since the light already have projectors. At least that is what I'm hoping for.

Ok the reason I decided to go and get new lights is I want something that no one else ahs, and what I plan no one else does have. I will be installing a standard halo kit from AAC style, plus another Halo on the shroud for the projectors. Now that is not the big reason for this. With HiD's it is impossible to aim the projectors properly in the spyder lights. The HiD bulbs are just too long and you have to remove the lights to get at the adjustment screws. Not fun at all. Another reason is the quality of the lights. CHEAP is the nicest thing I can say about them. The ones I will be purchasing from Retro are almost OEM quality. Which means much better materials used to make them. Check out Retro Shop too see what they have. Their prices are tons better than anywhere else on the items that I need, and Jeremy is more than willing to work with you on what you want. That is a very big plus in my book.
I was thinking on doing the same thing that you are on just replacing the projectors. But again due to the crappy quality of materials I decided against it. It might work but I would be afraid that destroying the lights would be a big possibility seeing as you have to heat them up to take them apart, and not sure if you noticed but the plastic that was used to make the spyders is very thin. A good candidate for warpage from to much heat. Hopefully that gave you a better and clearer picture of why I will not be doing it like that myself.:pepper:

krakaman24

2018 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7L
it is impossible to aim the projectors properly in the spyder lights.

Oh I know!! It's a huge P.I.T.A. to aim those lights. I'll eventually buy something from retro when I have the cash and can actually decide which route to take.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
Yeah, we've done a swap on those spyders before.........it was fun! that was before TRS came out with their adapter plates for them. Would be a tad easier now, but honestly - the set I had........opened harder than some stockers I've done. ALL sorts of options!

She is wanting something different for her truck also, but I let her know that she will have to wait until I get mine done first.

Best
line
ever :roflsquared:

OP
OP
M

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh I know!! It's a huge P.I.T.A. to aim those lights. I'll eventually buy something from retro when I have the cash and can actually decide which route to take.

I will post pictures of the build at important steps. Might get you interested in doing it the way I am. And yeah, in order to aim the stupid things you have to remove them from the truck turn the nuts a bit stick them back on and hope they are aimed. If they are not right the firsts time you have to repeat the procedure which is a massive pain.

OP
OP
M

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, we've done a swap on those spyders before.........it was fun! that was before TRS came out with their adapter plates for them. Would be a tad easier now, but honestly - the set I had........opened harder than some stockers I've done. ALL sorts of options!

Best
line
ever :roflsquared:

She did just get an almost free Hemi upgrade in her truck, so its my turn for goodies.

OP
OP
M

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok guys I finally got to get a decent photo of my truck and here it is:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The lights on it are the ones I am in the Process of replacing with my new ones. There is the Reflexxions hood I got, which I like. I will have more photo's available as soon as I get off the boat. Took this one while we were docked for repairs.