New here

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dsherman26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello, name's Dave. My wife's Equinox met an unfortunate demise, but she suggested we look at getting a truck to tow our new travel trailer. I had towed it a few times with my Honda Pilot, and while it did OK, it had to work at it on hills. Looked around at what was available, and we found a slightly used 2021 RAM 1500 4x4 crew cab today. Has an IOU from the dealer to put the hitch receiver on, but it's a sharp truck and drives nice so far.

Elvira

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will find the answers you ask for here and get some good information too. Good luck with your new truck and I know you will get many years of enjoyment out of it. Don't forget pictures !

M_Taylor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome! New here as well...I've had Ram trucks for the last 14 yrs ( 09 and a 13) and now looking for my next upgrade. I've viewed the forum as guest but figured its time I sign up.

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Welcome to the forum. Share a pic when you get a sec :)

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello, name's Dave. My wife's Equinox met an unfortunate demise, but she suggested we look at getting a truck to tow our new travel trailer. I had towed it a few times with my Honda Pilot, and while it did OK, it had to work at it on hills. Looked around at what was available, and we found a slightly used 2021 RAM 1500 4x4 crew cab today. Has an IOU from the dealer to put the hitch receiver on, but it's a sharp truck and drives nice so far.
Welcome, what type of trailer do you have? If it has electric brakes, you will need to get TT (RAM OEM) if not installed. MAKE SURE you get class IV receiver hitch, not Class III.

ADDED: Did U get truck with 6 cylinder, since your Avatar says 3.6L, or Hemi?

Always helps to put information on your truck with Avatar and/or in signature.

OP
OP
D

dsherman26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks all for the warm welome! Wife loves the truck too, she asked if she could use it to pick up her son this morning. Here's a pic of our new ride.

Attachments

• PXL_20230218_213917959.png
    PXL_20230218_213917959.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
OP
OP
D

dsherman26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome, what type of trailer do you have? If it has electric brakes, you will need to get TT (RAM OEM) if not installed. MAKE SURE you get class IV receiver hitch, not Class III.

ADDED: Did U get truck with 6 cylinder, since your Avatar says 3.6L, or Hemi?

Always helps to put information on your truck with Avatar and/or in signature.
Got it, signature updated. Yes, I have the 3.6 V6, and we have an IOU from the dealer to put the class IV hitch on. I wanted the 2" receiver so I could adjust the hitch height if necessary, and while I didn't realize the dealer sold me the class IV hitch initially, I think would be a little neater than bolting on the extra piece. Our camper is a 2023 Wolf Pup 14CC. Wife loves it, she calls it her "glamper".

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lil over 3,000 lbs, say loaded, 4K, not too bad. MAKE sure U have TT controller added if not with truck. I read description, does the Trailer, which I see is a single axle? Does it have brakes, either electric or hydraulic?

OP
OP
D

dsherman26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lil over 3,000 lbs, say loaded, 4K, not too bad. MAKE sure U have TT controller added if not with truck. I read description, does the Trailer, which I see is a single axle? Does it have brakes, either electric or hydraulic?
Yes, the camper is single axle, has electric brakes and they are a requirement here. Not familiar with the TT controller, but I found the wiring harness in the glovebox for connecting an electric brake controller. I have a Draw-Tite brake controller that I was going to move from the Pilot, I just haven't gotten to that point yet.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, the camper is single axle, has electric brakes and they are a requirement here. Not familiar with the TT controller, but I found the wiring harness in the glovebox for connecting an electric brake controller. I have a Draw-Tite brake controller that I was going to move from the Pilot, I just haven't gotten to that point yet.
This is my opinion only: With the finicky RAM Canbus system, I would only use OEM TT control and have flashed by dealer, which is what I had done-installed when I bought my 2019. U do as U see fit.