New Key

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello again, it appears after 2 months of ownership, the dealer is not going to give me a second key. What is the most straight forward way (excluding dealer involvement) to get a key and have it programmed? Thank-you, Nick

Texram155

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pop a lock or a local locksmith.

ETX Ram

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Longhorn Southfork Edition
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Your local locksmith can fix you up quite readily and less expensively than a dealer.
Lee

OP
OP
Nick14

Nick14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank-you for responding. I didn't even consider that as an option.

Jendsley06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is a DIY solution. alfaOBD and a obd adapter. You will need to get a PIN for your truck from the parts Dept at the dealer. And you can make as many as the truck will accept

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Xena1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
I called several local locksmiths and they all said they can not program the keys. Did find a rural small dealership who quoted $35 to cut and program key. Bought one on-line for about $20.

TexasDrone

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 and 2019
Engine
Cummings 6.7
Hello again, it appears after 2 months of ownership, the dealer is not going to give me a second key. What is the most straight forward way (excluding dealer involvement) to get a key and have it programmed? Thank-you, Nick

Is this on a new vehicle if it’s a new vehicle they are required to give you two. When I receive my 3500 there was only one they ordered from Chrysler a second one and was cut locally and programed locally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Nick14

Nick14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No, I bought it used. It was my fault. 'Got a second key? ya, he is supposed to bring it by Saturday, and I will call you, Ok. ' Didn't get it in writing. I did the biggest mistake possible at a dealer... I Trusted/believed. Never again.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
No, I bought it used. It was my fault. 'Got a second key? ya, he is supposed to bring it by Saturday, and I will call you, Ok. ' Didn't get it in writing. I did the biggest mistake possible at a dealer... I Trusted/believed. Never again.
they love ya, until you leave....

Jeremiah walker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

As others have mentioned, a locksmith is the way to go for programming. I paid $40 to have a key I purchased off ebay programmed for mine. Just make sure you buy a new key and not a used one because apparently you can't reprogram them. Also, be sure to call around... Prices varied quite a bit from locksmith to locksmith for me.

OP
OP
Nick14

Nick14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank-you for your assistance. I found a oem fob, used, new blank on ebay. I called a local locksmith, he programmed and cut the key.

OP
OP
Nick14

Nick14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank-you for your assistance. I found a oem fob, used, new blank on ebay. I called a local locksmith, he programmed and cut the key.