New Member Looking for Advice, I just purchased a 2014 2500 with low 22,000 miles. Unfortunately I wasnt aware that it had 11,400 idle hours!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Richiep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Am I screwed or what? My wife's gonna kill me. Its a 5.7 and m concerned that its gonna soon die on me. Doesnt have much service records on carfax. Thoughts anyone? Dont know if the engine is at the end of its life and worry that its gonna die on me on some long road trip... Thanks!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
My current Ram & my old 2009 Dodge Ram, both had a load of IDLE HOURS.

I live in what is called the High Desert & i often had to go over to the Low Desert

Our temps get nasty Hot & when i am working, i am given a place to meet a Semi Truck driver.
I am told to meet the driver at say 6AM, every once in a while, the Driver is actually there, sometimes they are any where from 1 hour to 8 hours late, sometimes they show up the following day because of break downs.

When the Temps are over 85°F & there is not any shade, like a tree with in site. my A/C is going to be on.
Sometimes there will be another Pilot Car at the location & we park drivers door to drivers door & have a short conversation & then roll up the window again.

Our Dispatcher, should give us the truck drivers name & phone number, all too often, that info is not available

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is the engine quiet? Or is it ticking?

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Long idle times have not been an issue with Charger fleets using the hemi *as long as oil changes are done to spec*. It's not ideal, but it's probably not going to grenade on you.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Just Waiting on a 8 lane Highway Ramp, no buildings nearby, truck driver may show up at any time.
When he passes by on the main Freeway, i have to fall in behind him.

Truck is Idling, for a quick maneuver

1657230634629.png

1657230724205.png

Last edited:

Rc55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
Am I screwed or what? My wife's gonna kill me. Its a 5.7 and m concerned that its gonna soon die on me. Doesnt have much service records on carfax. Thoughts anyone? Dont know if the engine is at the end of its life and worry that its gonna die on me on some long road trip... Thanks!
How did you find out how many hrs of idle time was on it?

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That is a ridiculous amount of idle hours for a gas engine... But there is nothing you can do at this point so just try and keep up with your scheduled maintenance and go about your day. If going on a lot of long trips some sort of towing insurance is never a bad idea just in case.

Water under the bridge now but it's always a good idea to look at the vehicle history and avoid any of those fleet lease vehicles for reasons like this. I passed on several that I looked at that turned out to be low mile (high idle) lease trucks from mining, gas/oil companies etc.

Freeland Mark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I see long idle times killing Charger Hemi all the time. The Tampa machinery auction is full of well maintained Chargers that have been serviced regularly. The cam lacks proper lubrication at extended idle from what I have seen. But on the other note, if the engine is quiet and has no valvetrain noise it is fine. Who knows maybe it has a fresh cam in it. What is the oil pressure at operating temperature in gear at idle? That is the true story teller. Compare it to others with like powertrain. I have a 6.7 so I cant chime in what normal operating oil pressure is.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Depending on the calculator used, I have seen convert hours to miles from either 25 or 60 miles for every idle hour.

That equates to either 285,000 or 684,000 miles. I would realistically say you are on the low end and your motor is probably close to being spanked on the end of it's serviceable life going forward.

Bryce Kircheis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have 2014, 2500 with 150K, There are more idol hours that driving ours, and I have had no issues. Mine was a windmill tender in the south west. I was happy to take the hours and have no rust.