New milwaukee m12 stubby impact 1/2!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I added another Milwaukee tool to my collection.
Wanted something for the hard to reach place and to throw under the seat for a road trip.

This thing is a beast for how small it is. Claims 250lbs but I am thinking more like 200ish. There is 3 speed setting and 1 setting that stop as soon as it gets snug.

First video is just a simple lug nut on a trailer I am rebuilding

Second video is of me taking my lug nut off my truck and putting it back. It was torqued to 130lbs before taking it off. Torque wrench is set to 130lbs you can see it in the video but it moves just a little before it clicks. The lug nut was still turning when I let off so I am sure I could of gone higher.

This tool is worth the money if your looking for a small compact impact.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'd probably go with the fuel m18 mid torque for that. More tool options in the m18 so the batteries are more usefull and still pretty small. I have the m18 high torque for big stuff, but I have a couple ryobis for the lighter stuff right now. If they die I'll replace with the m18 mid torque since the high torque is too big for and snaps the small stuff.

OP
OP
Dinky

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd probably go with the fuel m18 mid torque for that. More tool options in the m18 so the batteries are more usefull and still pretty small. I have the m18 high torque for big stuff, but I have a couple ryobis for the lighter stuff right now. If they die I'll replace with the m18 mid torque since the high torque is too big for and snaps the small stuff.

Yeah I have a bunch of Milwaukee m18 and m12. I have the m18 mid torque but does not fit into small places and well it's big lol. 250lbs of torque there is nothing on this truck it cant take off. Also just because it's not m18 doesn't mean its crap. Ever use the new m12 3/8 ratchets? Or the m12 dremel?

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yeah I have a bunch of Milwaukee m18 and m12. I have the m18 mid torque but does not fit into small places and well it's big lol. 250lbs of torque there is nothing on this truck it cant take off. Also just because it's not m18 doesn't mean its crap. Ever use the new m12 3/8 ratchets? Or the m12 dremel?
I haven't. I'm just reluctant because my most used tools are higher draw and all m18 so I have lots of batteries. How much torque is the m18 ratchet. Maybe its more than my air one.

OP
OP
Dinky

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
I have pretty much all the M12 tools and love them. If I run into anything they can't handle, I also have DeWalt 18v tools, but they weigh probably twice and much and are half again as big. M12's are much easier to pack around IMHO.

**EDIT** I just looked and there's like 65 M12 tools available. Change that first sentence above to I don't have nearly enough M12 tools.... But if I start now, I will soon. ;)

Last edited:

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Love it I had the 3/8” preordered, I’ve used it a number of times and couldn’t be any happier so much more compact and easier to use and haven’t had to use my heavy ass 1/2” in quite some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
Dinky

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have pretty much all the M12 tools and love them. If I run into anything they can't handle, I also have DeWalt 18v tools, but they weigh probably twice and much and are half again as big. M12's are much easier to pack around IMHO.

**EDIT** I just looked and there's like 65 M12 tools available. Change that first sentence above to I don't have nearly enough M12 tools.... But if I start now, I will soon. ;)

Nice yeah i wish i had that many lol. i have way more m18 stuff but i am building my m12 selection up. my tool bag weight was around 40lbs with out drills then you add drill with a impact and another power tool. 8 years of that was enough lol. switched out to m12 drills and impacts still need m18 for bigger stuff.

OP
OP
Dinky

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Love it I had the 3/8” preordered, I’ve used it a number of times and couldn’t be any happier so much more compact and easier to use and haven’t had to use my heavy ass 1/2” in quite some time.

nice yea i wish i got it sooner. for how small it is the power is amazing. having the ratchet and this impact makes a perfect combo for working on cars and trucks. the big m18 impact is nice but i found its over kill on a lot of stuff i work on.

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I’m going to have to add this to my M12 collection.
Home Depot had the 3/8” ratchet, battery, charger, & hard case for $100 on Monday. I buy knockoff m12 batteries on eBay for $12 each, so far they been just as good.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FUEL or nothing, IMHO.

If there is a FUEL variant of any tool, I buy that instead.

If you watch Home Depot, occasionally they have decent buys as "deal of the day" or sometimes clearanced in store. Have to jump on them quickly, though, since they sell out so fast.

OP
OP
Dinky

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m going to have to add this to my M12 collection.
Home Depot had the 3/8” ratchet, battery, charger, & hard case for $100 on Monday. I buy knockoff m12 batteries on eBay for $12 each, so far they been just as good.

I dont buy knock offs I've never got a good quality one. They just dont hold a charge as long. I just buy batteries off craigslist, Facebook, and offer up. I just picked up 2 6ah m18s for $100.

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I typically buy batteries off eBay i can usually get two for the price of one instead of buying from Home Depot etc.

Fuel line is nice that’s what I buy for my personal use tools... tools I keep either in the truck or at home.

However for my work tools I stick to the non fuel line because they go on sale pretty often without breaking the bank and I know they’re going to get covered in paint and they don’t get used daily so they’ll still last for awhile

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didnt need any tools until today for some reason. Thanks for nothing!

* edit, just bought it

Last edited:

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the mid-torque M18 Fuel which serves me well, along with most of my M18 items. I'm thinking they might come out with a M18 "stubby". I have a couple of M12 items that work great, right hand drill which is very hand for tight places, including installing mud flaps w/o removing the wheels, and the dremel type tool.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the full torque M18 Fuel impact....man that thing is crazy, but 90% of the time completely unnecessary, now that the mid-torque exists. I still haven't bought a mid-torque yet, though...its on the want list.

My most recent addition was an M12 Fuel ratchet. Great little thing to have....I always said I didnt need one, but once they finally made a Fuel version I figured I would give it a shot.

The latest gen M18 Fuel hammer drill and impact driver are crazy compact. The battery pack itself is "longer" than the head of the tools. Which makes me think maybe they have reached saturation point of making the tools smaller - if the battery pack is now the biggest part of the tool, what is the point of making the rest of the tool much smaller?

OP
OP
Dinky

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
FUEL or nothing, IMHO.

If there is a FUEL variant of any tool, I buy that instead.

If you watch Home Depot, occasionally they have decent buys as "deal of the day" or sometimes clearanced in store. Have to jump on them quickly, though, since they sell out so fast.

i have my old brushed stuff i use outdoors in the winter. ANY brushless tool with die if it gets to we(makita, dewalt, botch, milwaukee). you can run the brushed stuff underwater and it still works. fuel is no doubt a better tool but it has flaws. brushed drills in the summer time are no good ive set a few on fire due to high ambient temps.

I typically buy batteries off eBay i can usually get two for the price of one instead of buying from Home Depot etc.

Fuel line is nice that’s what I buy for my personal use tools... tools I keep either in the truck or at home.

However for my work tools I stick to the non fuel line because they go on sale pretty often without breaking the bank and I know they’re going to get covered in paint and they don’t get used daily so they’ll still last for awhile

i am the complete opposite when i am at work cream of the crop tools. gotta spend money to make money as i always say. If a tool will give me a better edge ill be buying it regardless of the cost.

OP
OP
Dinky

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I didnt need any tools until today for some reason. Thanks for nothing!

* edit, just bought it

welcome to the internet. always finding something else you need lmao

OP
OP
Dinky

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the full torque M18 Fuel impact....man that thing is crazy, but 90% of the time completely unnecessary, now that the mid-torque exists. I still haven't bought a mid-torque yet, though...its on the want list.

My most recent addition was an M12 Fuel ratchet. Great little thing to have....I always said I didnt need one, but once they finally made a Fuel version I figured I would give it a shot.

The latest gen M18 Fuel hammer drill and impact driver are crazy compact. The battery pack itself is "longer" than the head of the tools. Which makes me think maybe they have reached saturation point of making the tools smaller - if the battery pack is now the biggest part of the tool, what is the point of making the rest of the tool much smaller?

yeah i agree but if the head of the tool is smaller you can reach tighter places. also batteries are getting bigger so you gotta make something smaller lmao. when i was roaming around the job sites i just used the 2.0ah m18 batteries in my drill and impact. in those tools the 2.0 gives you plenty of power and last a long time. i save my bigger batteries for sawzall, metal shear, skill saw ect...

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep...I did just buy the 2997 kit which comes with the new gen hammer drill and impact driver. It also comes with 2.0ah batteries, which normally I wouldnt be thrilled about, but with the tools being so small, I think I would rather use them with the 2.0 pack instead of a 4/5/6ah pack.

I might return the kit anyway, but Im not sure yet. As if I needed more drills....I now have the first second and third gen M18 Fuel hammer drill. I dont think I ever even used my first gen M18 fuel hex impact driver, but now I have the 3rd gen too.

The one thing I *dont* like is the chucks they use....there is a lot of wobble on my 2nd gen. 1st gen is OK. Havent tried the 3rd gen yet. The problem with 2nd gen and newer is that they went to a fairly non-standard arbor diameter, so you cant exactly buy a good chuck to replace their crappy one. 1st gen there was a Rohm chuck that would fit.