New parts installed (ICON, Core 4x4, Hellwig, SuspensionMaxx)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MidwestExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
After spending the last few years dreaming, saving money and studying on suspension parts - I finally got some goodies. I've been rocking Bilstein 5100s, front & rear, since the truck was new and they honestly served me well for the price point but I've always wanted more. Here's what I ended up with:

Parts.JPG

Front:
- ICON 2.5 coilovers, part #211000
- ICON Neoprene Coil Over shock protection covers, part #191003
- ICON 2 pin spanner wrench, part #198000
- ICON Delta Joint Tubular UCAs, part #218550DJ
- ICON Tubular UCA Cover cap kit, part #191011
- SuspensionMaxx Links 1-3”Leveled trucks, part#SMX-1300L

Rear:
- ICON rear coil springs, part #212150
- ICON 2.0 Aluminum series rear shocks, part #216524
- ICON 2.0 shock boot kit, part #614700
- Thuren shock nut set, part #TF-1500RSHNTWR-SET
- Core 4x4 rear end links for 1” lift
- Core 4x4 rear panhard/track bar tier three
- Hellwig rear sway bar, part #7709

With help from a mechanically skilled friend, I got all of these parts installed yesterday. Took us about 6 hours to get done. There's quite a few guys that have posted installation information already for these parts, so I won't get into those details unless someone has questions. I've never done suspension work like this before, so I leaned heavily on info found on this forum (thank you!), YouTube vids and manufacturer's instructions - and of course, my 'Iknowaguy' cheat code.

Front.JPG

Rear.JPG

Because I installed everything at once, I can't really review any individual component. But man, this truck is awesome to drive now. Everything feels solid and crisp. We'll see how it goes in the long run, but I have zero buyer's remorse at this moment.

Side.JPG

I ended up with about 1.25" rake, which I'm fine with. I didn't adjust the height on the coilovers, but I think I'm going to crank the driver's side up just a bit - it's around .25" lower than the passenger's side. I'm getting an alignment done tomorrow morning. I had no rub today, riding on 20x8 stock wheels and 285/65 BFG A/T.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Congrats on the kit and install. She has come a long way so it’s nice to see the end results.
If the difference is only .25” then one full turn on that side should do ya.
Do that before alignment. She might settle some though you have the 650lbs springs so I don’t know if she’ll settle down right away or not.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice!

yea, if you are gonna change ride height slightly, do it before the alignment. Otherwise it will be a waste.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Ohhhhh yeaaaaa! Looks awesome! You know we need some more full truck pics right.....those were just hordourves (sp?!)

You've been in the mix for a while, so now it's your turn to compare the popular billies to a full blown suspension kit! Let's hear it!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
MidwestExpress

MidwestExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Ohhhhh yeaaaaa! Looks awesome! You know we need some more full truck pics right.....those were just hordourves (sp?!)

You've been in the mix for a while, so now it's your turn to compare the popular billies to a full blown suspension kit! Let's hear it!

I'm not a great photographer, but here are a couple more that I took yesterday:

Front.JPG

Side.JPG

As far as comparing the 5100s to everything that I have now.....it's not really fair to do that, haha. We're talking like $400 vs. around 3k. You get what you pay for, you know that better than most in the suspension game. The 5100s did serve me well for 5 years, so I'll be nice to them. But, this truck is a dream to drive now compared to what it was like for the past 5 years.

OP
OP
MidwestExpress

MidwestExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
I was too lazy this morning to adjust the height on the driver's side coilover before my 8am alignment appointment. So, I'll just live with the slight .25" height difference for awhile - it's not noticeable at all.

Here's the alignment sheet:

Alignment.JPG

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Very true it's not a fair comparison. It's hard to validate, until you feel the change than it's like WHY DODNT I DO THIS SOONER.

Truck looks awesome! I wouldn't worry too much about that 1/4" right now. I'd say run the setup pretty hard for a while and check the measurements for final settling heights. Than you can tweak if need be. No matter how many times j measure I always seem to be off a 1/4" each time.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
After spending the last few years dreaming, saving money and studying on suspension parts - I finally got some goodies. I've been rocking Bilstein 5100s, front & rear, since the truck was new and they honestly served me well for the price point but I've always wanted more. Here's what I ended up with:

View attachment 187035

Front:
- ICON 2.5 coilovers, part #211000
- ICON Neoprene Coil Over shock protection covers, part #191003
- ICON 2 pin spanner wrench, part #198000
- ICON Delta Joint Tubular UCAs, part #218550DJ
- ICON Tubular UCA Cover cap kit, part #191011
- SuspensionMaxx Links 1-3”Leveled trucks, part#SMX-1300L

Rear:
- ICON rear coil springs, part #212150
- ICON 2.0 Aluminum series rear shocks, part #216524
- ICON 2.0 shock boot kit, part #614700
- Thuren shock nut set, part #TF-1500RSHNTWR-SET
- Core 4x4 rear end links for 1” lift
- Core 4x4 rear panhard/track bar tier three
- Hellwig rear sway bar, part #7709

With help from a mechanically skilled friend, I got all of these parts installed yesterday. Took us about 6 hours to get done. There's quite a few guys that have posted installation information already for these parts, so I won't get into those details unless someone has questions. I've never done suspension work like this before, so I leaned heavily on info found on this forum (thank you!), YouTube vids and manufacturer's instructions - and of course, my 'Iknowaguy' cheat code.

View attachment 187036

View attachment 187037

Because I installed everything at once, I can't really review any individual component. But man, this truck is awesome to drive now. Everything feels solid and crisp. We'll see how it goes in the long run, but I have zero buyer's remorse at this moment.

View attachment 187039

I ended up with about 1.25" rake, which I'm fine with. I didn't adjust the height on the coilovers, but I think I'm going to crank the driver's side up just a bit - it's around .25" lower than the passenger's side. I'm getting an alignment done tomorrow morning. I had no rub today, riding on 20x8 stock wheels and 285/65 BFG A/T.

Digging those front swaybar endlinks. $150 is steep but those look like they get the job done.

OP
OP
MidwestExpress

MidwestExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Digging those front swaybar endlinks. $150 is steep but those look like they get the job done.

Yeah, I teetered on getting them or not. But, I fell into a self made trap of wanting to get my parts wish list done all at once. They're nice and seem well constructed.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Awesome set up. that really is a nice full package. Thank you very much for letting us be a part of your build. It was a pleasure working with you and we hope to work with you again.

OP
OP
MidwestExpress

MidwestExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
So, I'm a month in on the new stuff (about 700-800 miles for me). I've yet to really bash it off pavement and test the limits, so to speak. But, with street driving and hitting some easy dirt - I love the way the front end and 2.5 CO's are doing, real controlled and drama free. The rear end, while improved, isn't as "perfect" for me. Could be just the 2.5 on the front vs. 2.0 in the rear? Or, the feel of the ICON springs compared to the stock springs? The rear end is just bit more stiff and doesn't feel as controlled as the front, it dances just a tad bit. Possibly track bar bracket help? IDK. I'm not making any changes, will definitely go with what I got for a good while - could just need some break in and getting used to time. Overall, nothing has broke and it's still a great improvement from what I had.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Man you don't drive much! Lucky!

For the rear, what psi do you run? Our 20s aren't very forgiving, I've got mine at 40 psi cold. Only thing I can think of is you rub totally empty iirc. Might take a while to break in, and even than might feel a tad stiff with those coils. Eventually you'll get some weight back there and that should take the edge off.

OP
OP
MidwestExpress

MidwestExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Man you don't drive much! Lucky!

For the rear, what psi do you run? Our 20s aren't very forgiving, I've got mine at 40 psi cold. Only thing I can think of is you rub totally empty iirc. Might take a while to break in, and even than might feel a tad stiff with those coils. Eventually you'll get some weight back there and that should take the edge off.

I keep them high, around 48-50psi all around - BFGs recommendation. When these tires burn up, I'm planning on going to 17s - I want to get 5 wheel/tire combo and bed mount the 5th. 95% of the time, my bed is empty.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Talk to icon. They should be able to recommend a different valving to suite your needs. I havent done it myself yet but the rear shocks without RES should be a lot easier to dissasemble and rebuild. Either that or sell the 2.0's and upgrade to 2.5's if you dont want to thinker with it too much.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I keep them high, around 48-50psi all around - BFGs recommendation. When these tires burn up, I'm planning on going to 17s - I want to get 5 wheel/tire combo and bed mount the 5th. 95% of the time, my bed is empty.
I'm sure that helps in the mpg department.

I'm right there with you, I want 17s. I'll keep these 20s and put snow tires on. I leave the spare strapped in the bed anyways. Screw that stupid hoist thingy they use, I ain't wrestling that in the winter.

Aside from a revalve, toss some weight in the bed. The ride will get better. 200-250lbs is all it takes

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check the TRA table. it seems you dont need 50psi in those 285/65/20 LT KO2's?
45psi will match 2600lbs of the factory P rated ones, remove 10% cause they're mounted on a truck so really all you need is tires to support about 2340lbs each.

285/65/20 single at 40psi gives you 2390lbs, 2600lbs at 45psi. You should be fine with all 4 at 40psi.

Screenshot_20191225-082520_Drive.jpg

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Check the TRA table. it seems you dont need 50psi in those 285/65/20 LT KO2's?
45psi will match 2600lbs of the factory P rated ones, remove 10% cause they're mounted on a truck so really all you need is tires to support about 2340lbs each.

285/65/20 single at 40psi gives you 2390lbs, 2600lbs at 45psi. You should be fine with all 4 at 40psi.

View attachment 189849
What is this table?

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve got suspension envy: I want some Icons too. Definitely in the plans for later on.

What bumper are you running? New bumpers will probably be the next thing I do.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but man, do they ever come up with some great ideas.