New Power Folding Mirror Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5, 2023 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
With power folding mirrors, can you fold just one in to avoid brush or obstacles? Sure doesn't seem like you can but maybe there is something in the computer set up that allows that? Under the carport where I park my trailer there is very little clearance on the passenger side. With my 2004 manual mirrors I can fold the mirror in. Could not find anything in the manual about this. If not, I will have to drop the trailer when towing with the new truck and switch to the older truck to park it. Doable but it would be nice to avoid that exercise. Or fold both mirrors in and rely on my wife to guide me pulling in. Yikes!:banghead:

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The engineers don't consider 'inadequate backup help' when designing these systems. It's both, or none. :cool:

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can you fold one in manually?!?! Or would that mess up the gears in it?? I'm not sure, but I would think you could...if you accidentally hit something with a mirror you would think they would want it to flop in and not mess up everything, but sometimes engineers don't engineer things the way they should!! Haha

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Can you flip the passengers side mirror down to give enough clearance?

OP
OP
M

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
No. It's too close to the vertical supports to have anything extended. I also noticed that even when flipped down the mirrors extend further than my towing mirrors on the 2004 2500. With one (drivers) tow mirror out I can watch hand signals from someone in the back. I've been looking into one of the electric tow dollies that allow you to move trailers after detaching but without going into $3K territory they are limited to 500 or 600lb tongue weight and my trailer is 600 tongue weight empty. Was thinking about calling them to see if I can exceed their advertised weight by upgrading tires or something else.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Can you fold one in manually?!?! Or would that mess up the gears in it?? I'm not sure, but I would think you could
Yes the power fold mirrors can be manually folded in. Can even unfold it via power even if it was manually folded by cycling the mirrors in then out by the button.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Yes the power fold mirrors can be manually folded in. Can even unfold it via power even if it was manually folded by cycling the mirrors in then out by the button.
Yep. Learned that on my wife's with the power mirrors - someone folded one of hers in at the dealer and left it that way, not sure why. Glad it's built that way but kinda crappy way to learn.

OP
OP
M

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
Thank you for the feedback. I will try again on my truck. I did put some pressure on mine but was concerned about too much pressure. There seems to be quite a bit of resistance.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Thank you for the feedback. I will try again on my truck. I did put some pressure on mine but was concerned about too much pressure. There seems to be quite a bit of resistance.
There absolutely is quite a bit of resistance. I was always careful not to lean on the mirrors on my Wagon because they were power, but knowing what I know now I'll be less scared of it in the future if I get another set with power.