New Ram Trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cardboard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm a Ford owner, but my Ford has 150,000 miles.
Been looking at a 2013 1500 Ram 4 dr 2 wd. Not sure I want to pay the price for a 4WD being retired.

Wanted to buy a new dodge truck toward the end of the year.
So I thought I would try to do some homework now.

Been told the 5.7 motor has problems with the timing chain going out, and the motor had problems.
Got to come on here where there are Ram owners to get the truth.
I haven't owned a new Dodge since 1984.

How does the new dodge trucks hold up.
And with the 5.7 how is the fuel milage.

Appreciate all the help I could get.

HuskerRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
The Ram 5.7 doesn't have the problem with the timing chain guide (but the car version does). So you'll have no worries there.

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
The Ram 5.7 doesn't have the problem with the timing chain guide (but the car version does). So you'll have no worries there.

the 345 hp hemi seemed to have that problem, on/off though.

haven't heard of it on the newer 390/395 hp hemi.

Ramzaq

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 CC 4X4 3.55 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As mentioned above the timing chain problem was not with the Hemi in the truck but with the Challenger and Charger.

The biggest problem the engine had, and this is with the earlier 4 gen trucks, would be the bolts for the exhaust header would break occasionally. Haven't heard much of a problem in the last few years.

Mileage is all relative. The Hemi is capable of excellent mpg if driven properly. The 4x2 with the 3.21 rear and 8 speed is rated around 22 or 23 highway and I think 14 or 15 city. Cold and winter gas will lower that.

OP
OP
C

cardboard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As mentioned above the timing chain problem was not with the Hemi in the truck but with the Challenger and Charger.

The biggest problem the engine had, and this is with the earlier 4 gen trucks, would be the bolts for the exhaust header would break occasionally. Haven't heard much of a problem in the last few years.

Mileage is all relative. The Hemi is capable of excellent mpg if driven properly. The 4x2 with the 3.21 rear and 8 speed is rated around 22 or 23 highway and I think 14 or 15 city. Cold and winter gas will lower that.

You are saying the 4th generations of truck.

Sorry ,I don't know anything about generations.

And why the heck would of all things a Header bolt break ?
Is it not supported and it breaks or is the metal of the bolt not any good.
What the heck.

Never heard of something like this. And why is it acceptable ?

This truck would be for my wife who drives 90 miles to work on Monday morning and don't come back till friday nite.
And she drives threw some pretty bad neighborhoods.
Would really hate for her to break down.

How are the sensors on the rear end and the transmission holding up.
How is the front end and brakes holding up.
Do the brakes have enough stopping power.

Burd Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
The 5.7 Hemi has been tweaked and improved for 12 years. I've never had an issue. My friend is on his third 5.7. (trades his truck in every 4-5 years) He's had zero engine issues. Of course, every engine/vehicle is different and problems can arise. I trust my Hemi. I would have anxiety every day running a twin turbo ecoboost from Ford. Just my two cents.

Also, the fourth gen ram would be model year 2009-present. The half tons received a facelift and updates in 2013.

preachp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi cardboard,
The bolts would break because the output on the hemi requires it to move a little and the bolts apparently were not up to spec. The hemi in the 09-15 are the fourth gen of this engine and they are solid engines. Gas mileage in a truck is a misnomer. How many vehicles that can haul 1500 lbs, or pull a 9000 lb trailer get 30mpg? If you are serious about buying a RAM test drive it, It will speak for itself. As for longevity there several people that have got 150K miles on them. As for the 13's mine is a tank. I have 4X4 with LSD and it pulls like a beast. Remember that the hemi will deliver its power fairly aggressively so prudence in the application of the throttle is needed when working the truck.
Want to know more test drive one. Like I said it will speak for itself.

Good luck with your search,

preachp

OP
OP
C

cardboard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi cardboard,
The bolts would break because the output on the hemi requires it to move a little and the bolts apparently were not up to spec. The hemi in the 09-15 are the fourth gen of this engine and they are solid engines. Gas mileage in a truck is a misnomer. How many vehicles that can haul 1500 lbs, or pull a 9000 lb trailer get 30mpg? If you are serious about buying a RAM test drive it, It will speak for itself. As for longevity there several people that have got 150K miles on them. As for the 13's mine is a tank. I have 4X4 with LSD and it pulls like a beast. Remember that the hemi will deliver its power fairly aggressively so prudence in the application of the throttle is needed when working the truck.
Want to know more test drive one. Like I said it will speak for itself.

Good luck with your search,

preachp

Test Drove a 2013 with 29,000 miles.
Why would somebody trade in a 2013 Truck with 29,000 miles.

HuskerRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
May have traded up to a 2014 or 15 or found another Ram with more features (LSD, 3.92 gears, Laramie/Sport, etc).

preachp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Because they bought in the moment instead of thinking about what they really wanted and traded it in on something more to their needs. Get VIN and look it up on the Chrysler, Car Fax or what ever site and find out if there are any issues with it. Maybe they really needed a 4X4 and couldn't find/afford one that was available. Maybe they wanted to tow a very large TT and they just want more head room. Maybe they thought a truck would be cool and decided they really didn't like it. Then again maybe they got a really good deal on a step-up model that had more stuff in that they wanted. Why would they do it who knows.

preachp

MikeG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought my 2012 December 21st 2012 with 17 miles on it and now have 58k on it. I haven't had one issue at all until last week which is my rack in pinion is starting to leak on the driver side. I was a diehard ford guy and this is the first Ram/dodge ive every owned. If I had to do it all over again I'd head right back to the ram dealer.

OP
OP
C

cardboard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought my 2012 December 21st 2012 with 17 miles on it and now have 58k on it. I haven't had one issue at all until last week which is my rack in pinion is starting to leak on the driver side. I was a diehard ford guy and this is the first Ram/dodge ive every owned. If I had to do it all over again I'd head right back to the ram dealer.

I'm a Die Hard Ford guy. And I'm tryin to look at the Rams and the fords.
My wife drove a new 2015 f150 with the 5.0 and 385hp. She liked it
But she drove the 2013 1500 ram and liked it too.

Wanting to learn more about them. Everybody I know that owned them was saying they couldn't get over 14mg.
That's tough now days.

And I know unless you pull a boat or something, Most people don't pull much with their truck.

MikeG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mines a crew cab 2wd with a 3.92lsd and if I drive with some sense I can get 16-17 mix driving and 20-21 hwy.

jwndriver14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
We had an 09 with a Hemi that was getting close to 200k. Personally I'm a die hard Dodge/Ram guy and we have 2 4th gen hemis, 1 3rd gen Hemi with almost 210k, 1 3rd gen cummins, and 1 4th gen cummins and they're all great trucks!!! We've had ford and chevy as well but they just don't compare to a dodge seems like but it also depends on personal opinion.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Mine is my second ram. I was raised ford and had 4 of them. I like both but I think you get more for your money with the ram. My last ram was a 06 hemi and it had 60+k miles on it and the only issue was the battery went bad.... Can't conplain any there. My current truck has 13k on it and I did what other have said I bought in the moment and settled on a few things making me want a different truck less than a year later. With a kid on the way I will be tuffing this one out. Another reason you might see a low mileage truck on the lot is that they could be a rental vehicle they usually run them for 2ish years and between 20-30k miles so get a car fax. I would never worry about my truck breaking down on me but I wouldnt worry about a 5.0 either but no way I would trust a high mileage twin turbo 3.5l. The only bad thing I can speak about my hemi is the fuel mileage it's a thirsty beast under accleration it lIke's the highway I average 15-16 on my 9 mile drive that's about 50/50. I have seen 19 average on the highway at 75mph for just over 900 miles. I just make sure you get the options you want and the options I recomend is the 8 speed automatic, the "anti spin diff" also known as a limited slip, and sense you don't tow much I would also recomend the 3.21 gears the rest is just personal preference. One last thing my best friend has a 08 hemi almost 80k no issues and his dad has a 05 hemi with 140k and only engine replacement part was a cam sensor.

Last edited:

OldGrump

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cardboard,

I could be reading into it wrong, but your posts make it feel like you are already heavily leaning towards staying with Ford, and are just looking for any/every problem with Ram to back that up... or maybe its just because I'm old and grumpy that it comes off that way.

Unfortunately as it is with the interwebs, if you go looking for people that are complaining about... well just about anything, you will always find them. People that aren't having issues generally have less reason to be vocal about it.

My other vehicle's manufacturer (not Ram) always ends up in the top of the list for reliability/satisfaction, and yet of the three I've owned, I've had to deal with multiple recalls (and multiple repairs for the same recall), multiple issues related to sub frame alignment/bolts not properly torqued, potential oil delivery system failures, suspension component clearance issues, etc. Heck some of the issues I've found ended up being written up as model wide technical bulletins :crazy: That said, I still consider them to be some of the most reliable cars I've ever owned.... problems with complex machines are not really all that uncommon.

As for the gas mileage thing, I'm not sure what you are expecting to get out of a V8 strapped to a heavy vehicle. For what mileage I've put on my 2014 (4x4, 3.21, 5.7L, 8speed) so far, I've averaged about 17mpg, but sometimes that means 10-12 (or even less) and sometimes that means 21.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Well said Old grump. I have 09 OP and it is nearing 100k only think I have done to the motor is those damn bolts on exhaust manifold passenger side and a clutch fan which began to make noise. I have found the truck to start well in cold weather and be very reliable. I really don't care for the turbos and things for a long term truck. I would buy my same Ram all over again and the new ones are even nicer but I really have close to no complaints. The 8 speed transmission is the best transmission in any 1500 for sure not even close. I intend to get the diesel next time not to save money but because I like it. The Hemi is very stout and I don't see you having issues with it. To top off the convo the Ram is better price for what you get and it looks the best of all the options out there of course that is my opinion.

RyanJM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express RC Black Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I traded a 13 CC line star 4x4 with almost all the toys you could get and it had 13,500 miles on it for a 14 Express 2wd reg cab. I just wanted a change and I got my 13 cheap with all the rebates so I got what I owed in trade and $2900 cash for the extended warranty and gap back after that. Plus I got my 14 stickered at $29860 for $23,750 OTD with no money down and dropped my payments $80/month and still had the same 5 years left on my new loan as the old loan which was a 6 year. Now I am bored with the 14 RC and going to get a 15 Express QC with all the options you can get on a express. Some people are like me and just get bored and buy something new every year or 2 and I don't put many miles on my Ran it wil be at about 7500 miles when it hits a year in April. I just have this thing with now keeping vehicles more than a year or two since I can usually get them cheap enough to do it. Only thing I have held onto is my modded 98 Trans Am because I like it and there aren't many new cars similar that interest me. I am not a fan of dodge cars at all and I don't like anything from GM aside from the new Vette which I honestly can't afford. Only car I even like at all in my price range would be a loaded 15 Mustang GT premium. Also the reason I buy express trucks now is because I am not a fan of the 8.4 radio while I liked the look and function I didn't like that fact that when it dies it killed my Ram I prefer the express where the radio and ecm are separate so if the radio breaks off for a alpine and no worries.

VectorZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Test Drove a 2013 with 29,000 miles.
Why would somebody trade in a 2013 Truck with 29,000 miles.

Really? The same reason all people trade out of cars! Divorce, injury, job change, bankruptcy, boredom, and stupidity. Look, I've had lots of Fords, my buddy gets me X-Plan as he works on the assembly line. They've all been great, my wife drives a 2014 Escape. When it came time for me to get my truck the Ram just offered a lot more and looked a lot better for less money. I recently drove the new 2.7EB and liked it, but I've spent some time on the Ford truck forum and there are plenty of people over there having all sorts of issues from rust, to paint, to ill fitting seats etc. Being a new brand new model that is to be expected, but they are also not giving any deals on them so I'd wait for a year or two at least before I shopped a new Ford truck.

Good luck.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
June of 2013 I traded a 2012 1500 with 11000 miles on it in. Picked up a 2010 2500 6.7L cummins with 35000 miles on it. Most likely when you see a 2 year old vehicle with around 30k miles it is a lease trade in.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk