New shock recommendation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FlatbedHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
looking for recommendations on new shocks. I do tow and haul stuff, and my truck is carrying an 8’ flatbed, but most of my miles tend to be empty highway miles to and from work. That being said, I am looking for something that will make a decently smooth ride without being squishy under the bed. I always ran Bilstien on my Z71s, but this big girl is a whole different animal and I just wanted to see what everyone suggests for the Ram 2500.

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I just got some Bilstein 5100's to replace my Power Wagon Bilstein 4600's. I'll comment in here again once I get them installed.

COAinPaso

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
One vote bilstein. Used them on this truck and the last one. Also on my work f250, my dads 2nd gen ram, and my wife's old bronco. I have also used rancho and do not recommend them, not the 5000's anyway. Good luck.

OP
OP
FlatbedHemi

FlatbedHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
One vote bilstein. Used them on this truck and the last one. Also on my work f250, my dads 2nd gen ram, and my wife's old bronco. I have also used rancho and do not recommend them, not the 5000's anyway. Good luck.

Which Bilstiens?

COAinPaso

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5100 series. Not sure the part number but I’ll look later tonite.

24-066464-rear
24-251754-front (front is leveled with PW springs, 2” or so)

Last edited:

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
5100 series. Not sure the part number but I’ll look later tonite.

24-066464-rear
24-251754-front (front is leveled with PW springs, 2” or so)
Those work on a stock truck as well.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've yet to change out the shocks on my 2014 2500 so this opinion is based on 2 previous HD trucks. New shocks are okay and the day I get them, sure they seem better than the old ones. A couple weeks later I'm hard pressed to say I can notice a difference. I suppose if the old ones have failed there would be a difference but in both cases mine really weren't bad and I was just looking for some improvement. In the end I was disappointed.

I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer but I guess just go in with reasonable expectations. Nothing is going to make an HD truck ride like a Cadillac. After my past experiences if/when I replace mine I'll likely just go with something middle of road that is similar to stock - Monroe Reflex, etc.

JoshR104

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
looking for recommendations on new shocks. I do tow and haul stuff, and my truck is carrying an 8’ flatbed, but most of my miles tend to be empty highway miles to and from work. That being said, I am looking for something that will make a decently smooth ride without being squishy under the bed. I always ran Bilstien on my Z71s, but this big girl is a whole different animal and I just wanted to see what everyone suggests for the Ram 2500.

Depending on what you want to spend checkout thuren kits. I got it on my 2500 and rides way better than stock even better than my 1500 stock did. It will surely improve ride but you will lose capability but you can always fix that with airbags when your loaded up.

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I would think to really improve the ride you would need softer springs instead of just doing shocks.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would think to really improve the ride you would need softer springs instead of just doing shocks.

^^^^^^ this

While shocks do work with ride quality to some extend, the biggest difference will be new/softer springs, like Thurens or Carlis. And like stated above, your gonna loose some payload by doing it, but not horribly. Nothing that bags cant take care of.

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
My $0.01......I've had plenty of experience with Bilsteins my Toyota rigs and I wouldn't spend someone else's money on them. Blew up a set of $800 coilovers years ago and haven't been impressed with their longevity in their lower trims either. Then again, they are relatively short money so it is what it is.

That being said, I wouldn't do anything that decreases the capacity and capability of an HD truck. The whole reason to have one is the capacity and capability from my perspective.

Honestly, the thing that really is noticeable in changing the feel of the ride is tire pressure. I have been riding at 67 front 72 rear when unloaded and just came back from the dealer (drag link recall etc) yesterday and they rotated and aired me up to 72 front 82 rear and holy hell we are back to making 2" potholes feel like I need a kidney belt. Play with tire pressure before decreasing capability of the truck

OP
OP
FlatbedHemi

FlatbedHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, I may try that. I cant stand that light on the dash though. I need to get the pin from my dealer to reset the TPMS warnings. I may air down and see what happens, and just put up with the light. Maybe that will motivate me to actually call for the pin.

I even went as far as to take my leveling kit off to see if that helped any. Seemed softer but kept bottoming out on rough roads and my tires were scrubbing. Put it back on today, and it’s still a bit rough.

I have driven 3/4 trucks all my life, so Im used to it for the most part. Just never had a truck this rough on the highway. I also haven’t had one that yells at you when you don’t have 80psi in the tires.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, I may try that. I cant stand that light on the dash though. I need to get the pin from my dealer to reset the TPMS warnings. I may air down and see what happens, and just put up with the light. Maybe that will motivate me to actually call for the pin.

I even went as far as to take my leveling kit off to see if that helped any. Seemed softer but kept bottoming out on rough roads and my tires were scrubbing. Put it back on today, and it’s still a bit rough.

I have driven 3/4 trucks all my life, so Im used to it for the most part. Just never had a truck this rough on the highway. I also haven’t had one that yells at you when you don’t have 80psi in the tires.

You have had 3/4 ton trucks all your life, and they all rode better than your coil sprung Ram hd truck?

pwjouster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
holy crap you guys are riding on bricks.

if your empty and not towing with a hemi...nearly any appropriate tire should be at most 50PSI
that will retain some wear and tear and MPG savings but still too stiff.

if your on most 33s and 35s+ with the hemi and not towing, try out 45 front and 40 rear.
it may feel squishy, you may not want to turn as fast, but this is how its meant to be.

Cant wait to get 37s and run 38 front and 32 rear...i like to turn fast so may need to bump the front to 40

FIRST STEP TO IMPROVING THE RIDE^^^^^

any one considering an aftermarket shock needs to first contact Thuren Fabrication.

they can provide any level of decent improvement from street comfort to Baja truck.
best in the business.

OP
OP
FlatbedHemi

FlatbedHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You have had 3/4 ton trucks all your life, and they all rode better than your coil sprung Ram hd truck?

Yeah, I was surprised at how stiff the rear coils felt when compared to the leaf sprung Chevrolets I used to have, even after putting a flatbed and a front bumper replacement on it, it still feels a bit stiff on these rough east Tx roads.

Now let me clarify. The ride doesn’t necessarily bother me unless I am specifically paying attention to it. Most times I can just drive and not think about the bumps. However, my wife tends to complain, which makes me notice how rough it is. Just trying to make it more comfortable for her. Happy wife, happy life.

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
6.4L w/ 4:10
I just ordered 4600 for my truck.
I was thinking of the 5100 series as I thought they were better seeing as they cost more and some reviews by guys suggested that as well. Call Bilstein up and was told they are both essentially the same shock, other than the colours, but the 5100 allows the shock to be extended further based on being used on trucks that are lifted or leveled.
So went with 4600 seeing as my truck is stock height and will remain that way....waiting for them to arrive....

Last edited:

Marine Les

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2018
Engine
5.9 cummins/3.6 Pentastar
After 3 sets of shocks I put Bilstein 5100s on my Cummins and they are the best I have tried.

OP
OP
FlatbedHemi

FlatbedHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On a related note, what’s the life expectancy for a factory shock? I know they can be worn out without being broken, and it often depends on use, but how long could one expect them to last?