New sound issue on Ram 3500 Longhorn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bubbajames

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins Diesel
About 2 months ago, suddenly I began getting this sound. Here are the conditions when it occurs. Only when engine is cold, radio is on (determined on AM radio), occurs when I step on the gas or brake, or make a turn. The sound seems to come from like the dashboard area? The sound made is like an old phone ringing. If I turn off the radio, I do not hear it. I found if the radio is on FM or HD radio, I do not hear it. I would consider taking it to the dealership but unfortunately they are more engine mechanics and tracing electrical grounding (what it kinda seems), would require someone with more skills that the typical ASE mechanic can handle. Any thoughts where this is coming from?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I'm guessing you have a 6.4 Hemi(the 6.7 is CTD), most likely something with the spark plug ignition that causing interference with the AM radio. That was part of the reason condensers we're used on ignition systems with points to help eliminate spark noise on AM radios.