New to me 06 RAM 1500 few questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dakota1820

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I posted about a truck I was considering buying the other day. Come to find out it's a 3.7 and not the 4.7. the for sale sign had a .7 on it. The front number had worn off or something and wasn't legible. I assumed 4.7 since it didn't have any hemi badging. But it's the little 3.7 which is still fine for what I do so I snagged it up for $3300. Runs and drives great. New Michelins tires interior is spotless.
Has a couple of issues I'd like to address.
First a/c doesn't work. Should I start with trying to refill it? Is there a low cylce switch you can jump to get the compressor to kick on? I'd like to verify that it all works.
The other issue the owner said it had was when you had the fan speed above 2 after awhile you would smell a burning smell from the resistor. Would that likely be just a bad blower motor resistor?
It has the 42rle transmission. Do those still have adjustable bands? I'm not familiar with that transmission. My old 95 is a 46rh and it has to have the bands adjusted every so often. Thanks for the help everyone.

Last edited:

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Get it properly diagnosed; if the system is empty, it's empty for a reason. They can check everything else while they're in there.
Quite possibly the resistor.
42RLE just flat out SUCKS. It started life as a FWD transaxle (42LE) and someone thought it would be a good idea to make it a longitudinal trans (hence the 'R') and stick it in things like pickups and SUV's. Anyhoo it's fully electronic, so no band adjustment.