New to RAM Need Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You know what ....after running some errands tonight, I'm going to amend my earlier statement (above) and say the 5.7 DOES have a lot more power than my older 350 tbi. Hard to put a number on it but it moves the truck around extremely well. It's powerful motor. And the Ram is a heavier truck. But the 4.7 and V6 both have more power

I was going to ask you if you had a pedal commander, if not, it truly is a night and day difference once you select your ideal setting. When I turn it off to go to the dealer, the truck feels so sluggish.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was going to ask you if you had a pedal commander, if not, it truly is a night and day difference once you select your ideal setting. When I turn it off to go to the dealer, the truck feels so sluggish.

No I don't. Been thinking about it though. Maybe when I get some of the other projects off my list. Thanks for the feedback though, it 'does' sound like a pretty impressive upgrade.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No I don't. Been thinking about it though. Maybe when I get some of the other projects off my list. Thanks for the feedback though, it 'does' sound like a pretty impressive upgrade.

It is... I can't live without it knowing it exists..

Original poster, when you get your truck, seriously consider the Pedal Commander...

OP
OP
XL Denali

XL Denali

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
It is... I can't live without it knowing it exists..

Original poster, when you get your truck, seriously consider the Pedal Commander...

What is it!?

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What is it!?

Like most vehicles now the gas pedal runs by an electronic wire (instead of a throttle cable back in the day). The way Ram programmed the system is horrible. The Pedal Commander is an in-line multi setting "computer" that changes the way the computer gets input from the gas pedal.

What Ram did wrong is, you have to press the pedal more than 50% to get the engine to accelerate hard, I keep my pedal commander set to City 2 (one of the many settings) to me, it almost perfectly replicates a drive by cable system now.

It gives the truck a lighter on it's feet feeling. It is hard to describe, but once you get one, you will not only understand it you will need it!

OP
OP
XL Denali

XL Denali

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Nice! Although it would probably cost me some mpg's because it sounds like fun! Haha...

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I haven’t driven a newer truck with a 6 speed but I had a 2005 hemi which I’m assuming had a 6 speed? Either way I love the 8 speed. I’m putting extra miles on my truck as it’s so fun to drive I make up reasons to go places to drive it. Never had a vehicle give me that feeling before

OP
OP
XL Denali

XL Denali

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Ok. Just had major trans slippage/no 3rd gear in my Yukon this morning. It's at the shop getting diagnosed.
I'm going to have to lower my standards of I need to truck shopping this weekend because I was planning on taxes and bonus this spring.
Should I consider a 2008 with the 4.7L? Any thing I should be concerned about? It's got about 190,000 on it.
Thanks

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry to hear about that.

That's a lot of miles on a tk, and an 08 isn't that much newer than what you have.

Have you had your truck's trans fluid changed lately? May not help, but listen to my story that happened to ME: About 11 years ago I changed fluid on my truck's trans. I was using NAPA (Valvoline) ATF at the time. About a week later it started slipping and going between 3-4 constantly ...really JERKING the truck, felt just gawd-awful! I thought I was for sure going to have to have it rebuilt. Just before pulling the trigger on a new tranny, I came across some posts online where guys had something similar and had success resolving the issue by changing the fluid to Penzoil ATF, because Penzoil has a different hi-mileage additive package with more anti-shudder agents. Some fluids may not play well with the friction plates. I thought it was a too-good-to-be-true thing, but I figured for $25 it might be worth a shot and maybe I could get another 6 months or year out of it. Anyway, the symptoms went away in about 50-75 miles and never reappeared. That was 11 years ago and I still own the truck!

So ...worth a try, depending on what they come back with. It might be a solenoid too (I had that with our Jeep), or wiring. Don't panic. Mechanics often miss 'root' problems, so I'd take it to another shop and a different mechanic (like the GM dealership). If the tranny shop tells you it needs to be rebuilt, I mean, shops WANT to rebuild or replace your transmission! That's good revenue. Again, don't panic ..people who panic generally make bad decisions. If you DO have them (or someone else) change the fluid, once it's done (but BEFORE they start the vehicle), remove one of the tranny cooling lines (at the radiator) and run a hose from the line into a 5-gal bucket. Then add two more qts to the tranny and have someone start the truck while you watch the bucket. Once it starts the pump will quickly pump fluid from the torque converter through the cooling line and into the bucket. Once you see the fluid go 'clear' shut the vehicle off and top off the tranny. If the fluid was recently changed, then just count to 7 seconds and shut off. Then you will have exchanged ALL the fluid!

If that doesn't do it, add some TransX and see if that brings it back (I've had that work too). Then you can be more methodical in your search.

That said, my truck with a 5.7 has 150k and runs great and feels tight. We have a 4.7 in a Jeep Grand Cherokee with 200k mi on it and it runs fantastic still, no excessive oil consumption, noises or anything. The headgaskets were changed a long time ago though. But OTOH, I don't put that many miles on my tk per year and can do my own maintenance. If you put on a lot of miles, in a couple years you might have 240k miles on that truck and thats REALLY getting up there and asking for problems. You might be back in the tranny problem situation or expect head gaskets ..things like that. You never know. If you can't do much vehicle maintenance, I'd try to find something in the 80k or so mile range. Just sayin'

Last edited:
OP
OP
XL Denali

XL Denali

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Well, the tech took it for a ride and it shifted fine for him. He said it was about a quart low, so he filled it up. I sure hope there's no more issues. I think I need to keep it for now. I don't want to buy something with a bunch of miles. I think I was jumping to conclusions.