New to trucks.. what's your recommendation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JudoCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Hey guys!

I'm new to trucks. I currently own a 2014 Charger R/T and have paid it off. i'm looking to get a secondary vehicle. I want to take my two little girls through some Mountain Passes and trails here in the Vegas valley and that's what has made me stuck on a truck.

I love the feel of a Dodge. My buddy let me drive his '05 RAM Hemi Big Horn and I loved it, plus the RAM has the best grill IMO. So I want a RAM 1500, but here's my dilemma:

I don't know if I should go V8 or diesel. Here's what i'll use the truck for:

- Off Roading, mountain passes, trails
- Camping
- Getting drunk in the back

I won't be towing anything, or I doubt it. I was also planning to get it lifted 4". I like the Sport look the msot but it doesn't come with a diesel so thats why I'm not sure if it's worth it. My Charger has a HEMI and I feel it would be odd to own a truck with the same engine as my sedan.

Anyways, just want some recommendations. I heard those Cummins go for like 1mil + miles but I don't know if I need that. Just want the best ride for my buck.

Josh

JimsRamTruck2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
:welcome: JudoCobra.

From everything you posted a 3rd Generation Ram 1500 or a 4th Generation Ram 1500 running on pump gas would work for you. The S.L.T., Tradesman, & Big Horn trim packages would work best as well as a sport edition quad cab.

Most trucks come with the 5.7L Hemi, but there are some that have the smaller V8.

I have a 2004 and a 2012 Ram both have the Hemi and they work great. :waytogo:

Of course how much money you have to spend will also determine your choice.

I hope this posting helps you.

OP
OP
J

JudoCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Okay, so I can get like a 15/16 Sport lifted V8 and be fine?

Also, I heard having larger tires like 35" and a split axel or something like that helps with off-roading, is this the case? I want a 4WD so I don't get stuck easy anywhere.

Stringer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here is an example of an express 1500 with a 5.7 Hemi, 8spd Auto, 4x4 with a 4" lift and 35s... the express is similar to a sport when it comes to looks. Coming from a Ford to this Ram I can say that the power this truck has is unbelievable - even with it pushing my 35s around.

picture.php

picture.php

OP
OP
J

JudoCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Do you mind telling me approximate cost for a setup like that? Looks good! Would you recommend anything done on the axels? I forgot the proper term for it, but my buddy told me his Jeep has his axel so the back tires offer more flexibility when off roading.

Stringer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you mind telling me approximate cost for a setup like that? Looks good! Would you recommend anything done on the axels? I forgot the proper term for it, but my buddy told me his Jeep has his axel so the back tires offer more flexibility when off roading.

The best I can give you would be the price of the tires. I bought the truck with the 4" lift and 20s already on it. I paid a little over $1,100 for the tires and an alignment. Depending on the brand of the lift you want will greatly determine the cost and as well as labor charges if someone is putting it on for you.

I have heard mixed reviews about the RCX lift that is on my truck but so far I have no issues what so ever. Most suggest going with a Zone suspension lift due to its price and durability or a BDS.

Anyhow, here is my lift: 4in Suspension Lift Kit for 12-15 Dodge 4wd 1500 Ram [323S] | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

Wheels: 20 20x9 XD Series Spy 5x139 7 12mm Black Machined Wheels Rims | eBay

Flares: Rough Country Pocket Fender Flares w/Rivets for 09-16 Dodge Ram 1500 Pickup (Plastic Bumper) [F-D10912] | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

So if I had to guess, including parts, labor, and paint for the flares, I'd put around the $4,500 - $5,000 mark. Maybe someone who did these mods on their own can chime in and give you a better estimate on pricing. Keep in mind the RCX lift is significantly cheaper than a BDS lift.

As far as the axles, that is a whole different beast that I have no desire to get into with my truck lol. For the light off roading I do, my stock axles do just fine. If your concerned with this, I'd look at a Power Wagon since you have a lot more options when it comes to the factory off road suspension.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JudoCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
It does help a lot thank you! I didn't know so much went into it. My only concern is if I buy a new RAM I don't want to void a warranty by lifting a base model.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If you don't tow 10k or so pounds you don't need a diesel period. I love me diesels don't get me wrong, owned a Cummins and drove one professionally for a decade, but everything costs more with a diesel. The cost alone ends any discussion, you wont make it back. It is like Burning money. But if you are on the trail, I would opt for a solid axle, meaning you should get a 2500 or install one at a cost of 3 g's. The 4 wheel drive system in the 1500 is like for going to the snow or light mud. But if you gets down like country folk do, you will want a solid axle in my opinion. You will replace a front axle shaft daily with real wheeling. I blew a cv boot just by adding a level.

Stringer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It does help a lot thank you! I didn't know so much went into it. My only concern is if I buy a new RAM I don't want to void a warranty by lifting a base model.

I don't know what your price range is or anything like that but I'd suggest looking at a Rocky Ridge if your concerned with voiding the warranty. They take a brand new truck and add their package too it which is all covered under a 3yr/36,000 mile warranty. Just be ready to pay the price lol.

Rocky Ridge Trucks

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Just stick to the hemi. You can't get a Cummins in a 1500 anyways they have a v6 3.0 diesel for the half ton. At this point you just need to play around on rams website and surf though the different models and maybe visit a dealer ship there are only 2 things I can tell you to look for. You are going to want the 3.92 rear axle with anti spin diff to help you push the big 35s you want to put on there. And if you are going serious off road you need to stay away from the higher end models that have the 4wd auto transfer case. I'm not sure if they still have the outdoorsman but it is or use to be the highest end model you can get with the non 4wd auto transfer case. The way you can tell is by looking at the electric shifter it will have a 4wd auto option that you want to avoid they are a weaker transfer case if it's just 2wd 4wd hi and low you have the stronger t case generally come in the tradesman, express, and outdoorsman. I can't remember witch one is in the slt.

Just a disclaminer the 4wd auto isn't a bad transfer case it's just not as strong it all depends on how much your going to beat on it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JudoCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
If you don't tow 10k or so pounds you don't need a diesel period. I love me diesels don't get me wrong, owned a Cummins and drove one professionally for a decade, but everything costs more with a diesel. The cost alone ends any discussion, you wont make it back. It is like Burning money. But if you are on the trail, I would opt for a solid axle, meaning you should get a 2500 or install one at a cost of 3 g's. The 4 wheel drive system in the 1500 is like for going to the snow or light mud. But if you gets down like country folk do, you will want a solid axle in my opinion. You will replace a front axle shaft daily with real wheeling. I blew a cv boot just by adding a level.

I wanted the 1500 because it's the lower price point and then I can upgrade from there.

So can I get a 1500 with a solid axle?

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
People have not asked this question yet. How big of a back seat do you need? Smaller people will not mind the quad cab, but 2 full sized people (if you know what I mean) want to be comfertable then you need a crew cab.

Also bed size, the NEW Express and BigHorn only come with a 5'4" bed for the Crew Cabs, you need to get at least a sport to get a crew cab to get the 6'4" bed.

Also note that the blue Express pictured above has projector headlamps which are not an option unless you get a "black out express", but are standard on Sport and up.

If you want a good radio and guage cluster then you need to get a bighorn as a maxed out express will give you everything a base big horn will get you. check out the dealerships and website. but the HEMI is the way to go for you, id only recommend the eco Diesel if you towed, and your going to kill the Penta with 35's lol

chesafreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport Crew
Engine
You sure are new to trucks. There hasnt been a half ton with a straight axle since 2001. Dodge was the last holding on to the the straight axle too. Sounds like you need to figure out what you need to really use this thing for. If you plan on some rock crawling or gonna just hit some light trails? If your gonna hit the rocks you might as well look at some jeeps and go from there possibly get a 2000 older 1500 if you want a cheaper pickup with a solid axle. Or you can go all out and just get you a new Power Wagon and be done with no need to modify anything. If you want a DD with some light trail work then a 3rd/4th gen 1500 ram could work.

Also if its for trail riding gas is the way to go. Diesels are heavy.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So can I get a 1500 with a solid axle?

So you can get a 1500 and get an after market d44 at a rear end shop would be about 3g's, a little more if you want to re-gear. I say rear end shop because that's what they are called, they still do front end stuff as well. You can get a 1500 and give it a try, just don't be surprised if you are replacing ball joints and axle shafts early. Especially if your trail is rough. So when you get damage, instead of fixing it then just do an SAS (Solid Axle Swap).

If I was you, I would be looking at an older truck, there are plenty of good examples that survived Obama's cash for clunkers.

hrazz7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Love my Ram i have a 5.7 Hemi and love it use it for offroading, as well as work. I would recommend the Hemi for off roading and trailing. The diesels get way better mileage but thats what you give up mainly wanting it for off road. As for the lift i would look into a bds suspesion lift or fox. BDS is the top of the line.

hrazz7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And if money isnt a big deal look into the the ram runner and go off of that. Baddest truck out there!!!!

OP
OP
J

JudoCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
You sure are new to trucks. There hasnt been a half ton with a straight axle since 2001. Dodge was the last holding on to the the straight axle too. Sounds like you need to figure out what you need to really use this thing for. If you plan on some rock crawling or gonna just hit some light trails? If your gonna hit the rocks you might as well look at some jeeps and go from there possibly get a 2000 older 1500 if you want a cheaper pickup with a solid axle. Or you can go all out and just get you a new Power Wagon and be done with no need to modify anything. If you want a DD with some light trail work then a 3rd/4th gen 1500 ram could work.

Also if its for trail riding gas is the way to go. Diesels are heavy.

Thanks for your input. I don't plan to do bouldering or rock climbing, just some moderate trails (not flat ground, but nothing that is a 90 degree angle either)

That's why I felt I could get a RAM Sport and get the lift kit and tires and call it a day.

OP
OP
J

JudoCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
People have not asked this question yet. How big of a back seat do you need? Smaller people will not mind the quad cab, but 2 full sized people (if you know what I mean) want to be comfertable then you need a crew cab.

Also bed size, the NEW Express and BigHorn only come with a 5'4" bed for the Crew Cabs, you need to get at least a sport to get a crew cab to get the 6'4" bed.

Also note that the blue Express pictured above has projector headlamps which are not an option unless you get a "black out express", but are standard on Sport and up.

If you want a good radio and guage cluster then you need to get a bighorn as a maxed out express will give you everything a base big horn will get you. check out the dealerships and website. but the HEMI is the way to go for you, id only recommend the eco Diesel if you towed, and your going to kill the Penta with 35's lol

So I the 2016 RAM 1500 Sport has a Crew Cab? Most of my friends are tall as well, I would prefer they have more room. The axel spin diff. stuff is what confuses me haha.

I'm thinking I will downgrade the interior to beef up the exterior. To upgrade a Sport with automatic running boards, 35s and a 4" lift at the dealership was like an extra 10-12K.

danam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Dodge Ram 4WD SLT Quad Cab
Engine
4.7l
Might want to be a little careful there I shop for 1500 as a mod for my charger meaning so as not to have to drive my charger on rainy days it never sees the snow anyways I got the Ram I started doing double modding. I continue to mod the charger and I've been constantly modding the truck outside of my mode money I'm broke.

I keep telling myself all the next big mods are strictly for the charger but it just doesn't work out that way. :-(

:)