Newbie 2500 Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I had a BMW diesel with a 3L bi turbo 35d. When it was time to switch it up I wanted to stay with the diesels and looked at both the 2500 CTD and 1500 EcoDiesel. I knew the issues with emissions and whatnot with diesels in general.

2500 was too stiff and much for my needs. To top it off it wont fit in most parking garages in downtown Toronto. So it was between the ED and Hemi. Did the math and it just didn't make sense for my needs as it wasn't very different after everything was said and done in the grand scheme.

End of the day figure out what makes sense for you and your needs. Cost, maintenance, drivability, etc. Lots of info in this thread already.

G'Luck

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Oh how I miss my 335d. I only had the 3.0L single turbo diesel, but it was still a blast to drive. I have a 328d now with a 2.0L diesel. Even after it was tuned and deleted, it still isn't what my 335d was. Close, but still falls short especially below 1,700 rpm. But I guess I can't complain because I consistently get 42-45 combined mpg in the 328d while I was getting 32-35 combined mpg in the 335d. The 328d is still fun to drive down curvy roads and it makes my 41 mile one way commute more bearable.

GottaBeKD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh how I miss my 335d. I only had the 3.0L single turbo diesel, but it was still a blast to drive. I have a 328d now with a 2.0L diesel. Even after it was tuned and deleted, it still isn't what my 335d was. Close, but still falls short especially below 1,700 rpm. But I guess I can't complain because I consistently get 42-45 combined mpg in the 328d while I was getting 32-35 combined mpg in the 335d. The 328d is still fun to drive down curvy roads and it makes my 41 mile one way commute more bearable.
Mine was a 2011 335d and it was bi turbo. 330hp and 600tq after it was all said and done with the tune. Total Jekyll and Hyde personality. Drive it easy and its like any other car out there... step on the skinny pedal and it puts you in your place and tells you who's in charge because you're going for a ride.

Same can be said about the 6.7 I suspect. All about what the end goal is.

I absolutely miss that little diesel. Loving the 5.7 however. Different beasts altogether.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Mine was a 2011 335d and it was bi turbo. 330hp and 600tq after it was all said and done with the tune. Total Jekyll and Hyde personality. Drive it easy and its like any other car out there... step on the skinny pedal and it puts you in your place and tells you who's in charge because you're going for a ride.

Same can be said about the 6.7 I suspect. All about what the end goal is.

I absolutely miss that little diesel. Loving the 5.7 however. Different beasts altogether.

Yeah, the 6.7L is the same. Even on its highest level four 515 rwhp/1100rwtq tune, it is very modest when driven normally, but push the skinny pedal past 30% with the torque convert locked and it will just pull you to 100 mph like it was nothing. I generally keep it on level two which is 450rwhp/950rwtq. Still a blast to drive, but I am not as concerned about breaking **** as I am on level 4.

OP
OP
T

Trtlvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So on my quest I went out yesterday and drove a new 2500 with the Hemi. It had the off road package just like the Mega Cab Desiel I drove. Big difference in the ride. The Mega zcab was so much smoother. I felt the Hemi was nice but way rougher ride. Is that the weight of the Desiel engine making it smoother, or the Mega Cab? Still haven’t driven the Cummins in a Crew Cab yet.

OP
OP
T

Trtlvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also found a 2018 Deleted Tradesman with the 3” Fox BDS lift, Fuel wheels and 35” Nittos with only 14k miles. It’s at a Ram dealer near me. Awesome looking tuck. Would anyone be hesitant to purchase a 18 that has already been deleted? Truck doesn’t look to have been abused in any way.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Also found a 2018 Deleted Tradesman with the 3” Fox BDS lift, Fuel wheels and 35” Nittos with only 14k miles. It’s at a Ram dealer near me. Awesome looking tuck. Would anyone be hesitant to purchase a 18 that has already been deleted? Truck doesn’t look to have been abused in any way.

I know you will get different opinions on this but I personally wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. Number 1, you have no warranty now that it's deleted. Number 2 you have no idea what the previous owner did to the truck and why he is dumping it so soon after putting all that money into it (usually they dump it because they are having issues) And number 3, I see a lot of issues with the later model deleted trucks. If you follow over on the Cummins forum seems like more guys with deleted truck have issues then non deleted.

Don_T

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
An 18 that has been deleted and traded with only 14k miles. I wouldn’t touch it.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
I know you will get different opinions on this but I personally wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. Number 1, you have no warranty now that it's deleted. Number 2 you have no idea what the previous owner did to the truck and why he is dumping it so soon after putting all that money into it (usually they dump it because they are having issues) And number 3, I see a lot of issues with the later model deleted trucks. If you follow over on the Cummins forum seems like more guys with deleted truck have issues then non deleted.

Unless his ass got it repoed and it’s for sale. Car fax would show if it went to auction. But I’m with them in a way. If I’m going into a Cummins it’s new or I don’t want it.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
So on my quest I went out yesterday and drove a new 2500 with the Hemi. It had the off road package just like the Mega Cab Desiel I drove. Big difference in the ride. The Mega zcab was so much smoother. I felt the Hemi was nice but way rougher ride. Is that the weight of the Desiel engine making it smoother, or the Mega Cab? Still haven’t driven the Cummins in a Crew Cab yet.

Funny, my brother said the same thing yesterday. He has a 2014 CTD like mine and his friend has a 2015 6.4 Hemi. He said riding in each truck back to back, they both noticed a rougher ride in the Hemi. He thought it was a weight thing as well.

OP
OP
T

Trtlvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Funny, my brother said the same thing yesterday. He has a 2014 CTD like mine and his friend has a 2015 6.4 Hemi. He said riding in each truck back to back, they both noticed a rougher ride in the Hemi. He thought it was a weight thing as well.

The only other thing that it could be is both the Desiel were used. One a 16 the other a 17. The 6.4 was a new 18 maybe it hasn’t settled in yet. It was a big difference though for sure.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L

It’s the weight. Mine rides much better with a cab full or 300-500 lbs in the bed. Every time we hitch up the trailer, my wife asks why it doesn’t always ride like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoshR104

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Leaning that way for sure.

If you want a smoother ride check out a Thuren king setup. I had one on my 1500 I traded in and that thing rode like a mix between a caddy over bumps and a sports car in the twists. If your leaning towards diesel just for the ride then the king setup would be cheaper with a gas motor and ride way better than a stock suspension on a diesel would.

East0352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have the 6.4L Hemi 2500 4x4. I recently towed a fifth wheel to Kansas and back from Houston TX. About 1400 miles and I literally couldn't even tell the camper was back there. I normally average about 15mpg at 70mph and averaged 10mpg pulling the 5th wheel at those speeds. My half ton averaged 16.5 mpg overall, and averaged 8mpg pulling the same trailer. I have an older fifth wheel that weighs 7500lbs empty. The biggest thing you will get out of a diesel is when pulling 12,000lbs or more and going up an incline for long distances such as you will find in the Rockies. I added an S&B intake and run 305/50-18 tires.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I have the 6.4L Hemi 2500 4x4. I recently towed a fifth wheel to Kansas and back from Houston TX. About 1400 miles and I literally couldn't even tell the camper was back there. I normally average about 15mpg at 70mph and averaged 10mpg pulling the 5th wheel at those speeds. My half ton averaged 16.5 mpg overall, and averaged 8mpg pulling the same trailer. I have an older fifth wheel that weighs 7500lbs empty. The biggest thing you will get out of a diesel is when pulling 12,000lbs or more and going up an incline for long distances such as you will find in the Rockies. I added an S&B intake and run 305/50-18 tires.

I have to disagree, the biggest thing I get out of mine when driving on its level two 450rwhp/950rwtq tune is a smile. :D

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
‘14 Cummins
With stock tires, I could make it from Chicago to Tampa on 2 tanks. Stock tires was in the 14-15 around town, as high as 24-25 on long highway trips keeping it 65.
I towed an S10 full of crap, my bed had a bed, clothes, tools, & other household crap, crap on the inside, & 3 people. Vegas to Chicago was in the 12-14 mpg range depending on where I was.

This is doing actual math at fill ups

I live 3 miles from work so it regularly gets shuts off mid-regen, haven’t had an issue after 48k.

I will never own another gas truck again unless it’s a classic.

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have to disagree, the biggest thing I get out of mine when driving on its level two 450rwhp/950rwtq tune is a smile. :D
I bump the Juice up to level 6 at red lights when I see the driver next to me edging up thinking he is going to get i front of me.
My wife laughed the one time I left just about sideways.

Aelwulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
If you do the math, the higher fuel prices go the more you benefit from a diesel. Lower fuel prices means less benefit for diesel.

Lets do the math on the 170k miles you stated and the average Fuelly for both vehicles which is 15.5 mpg for diesel and 12 mpg for the gasser. The average for regular unleaded currently seems to be around $2.80 and $3.20 for diesel in your area on Gasbuddy.

170,000 / 15.5 = 10,968 gallons used
10,968 x $3.20 = $35,097.60 DEF will add about another $500 over 170k miles.

170,000 / 12 = 14,167 gallons used
14,167 x $2.80 = $39,667.60

Oil/Fuel and other PM items are almost the same for the two. The diesel costs more per PM, but you will 11 oil/fuel filter changes(every 15k) over 170k miles in the diesel versus 21 in the gasser if you stick to the 8k interval. Hope that helps.

Unless he's constantly foot-deep into it on the highway mileage on my gasser is closer to 16-17 with hills, since he said it'd be mostly highway. In most of Florida should be closer to 18+. And my 16-17 was manual calculation cross-country, not relying on the computer. Computer said 1MPG more. So unless the diesel is pulling 20 MPG+ consistently the difference isn't that great. And on the diesel you have to consider DEF. It's not much, but in the scheme of things neither is a gallon of gas when only talking 3-4 MPG difference.

Price will be a bit higher though on the gas if using at least the recommended mid-grade instead of the Regular quoted.