Newbie 2500 Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
....Yes, a one time diesel PM cost more, but since you almost can go twice as long between PMs then it pretty much evens out.

^ Exactly. I always have guys throwing the "you need 12 quarts per oil change to my 7" When I explain that our change interval is pretty much twice what the gas is and they are actually using 2 quarts more then a diesel it kind of debunks that argument.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
So I keep hearing guys say "All the extra maintenance of a diesel" Please explain because as someone who has owned both a gas and diesel HD trucks, other then fuel filters every 15K miles I'm not seeing it? Both pretty much the same from my experience.

At 120k:
14 oil changes with 7qts of 0w-40 synthetic
~$8 oil filter
16 spark plugs($150-200)
Fuelly shows 12 mpg avg
10000g fuel at $3(current local price) $30000

8 oil changes with 12qts of 15w-40
~$15 oil filter
4 fuel filter changes($50x4=$200)
~15 DEF fills at an avg $2.74 pump price(5.5gx15x$2.74=$226)
Fuelly shows 17mpg avg 7058g fuel at$3.46(current local price) $24424

If you change your own oil the costs are probably a wash. I don’t have time for that, so I buy the 3x express lane oil changes for $135 from my dealer. The Cummins oil change there is $159/per.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoshR104

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Um the entire drivetrain / truck needs more maintenance than the gas version from all that power. It isnt just the engine that needs to be maintained. If you have the asin tranny you are going to do 4x the changes on that. Fuel filters like you mentioned with every oil change. Transfer case you will be doing 2x more over same period granted you are using it under normal conditions like the OP would be. Diffs you will be doing with every other oil change or should be as well where the gas is at the 120k mark. I don't know why guys with diesel get so defensive when you make any mention of anything negative being I drove plenty of diesels personally and for work I have no problem with diesels but there is definitely more cost to them than most people factor in outside of the initial cost and savings from fuel. If he is using it mostly for highway use and not towing I think personally he would be better off with a gas motor but hey its his money if he wants a diesel and neglects maintenance on it the whole truck eventually something will fail with the power they make these days.

upload_2018-10-11_12-5-43.png

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
OP, if you are mainly highway driving, the diesel will get you better fuel economy. When I'm on the highway without my trailer, I'm getting 19-20 mpg at 70mph. I'm astonished that it gets such good mileage. Its way better than any gas truck I've driven. If you are on highway for good stretches, you are getting temps up high enough for passive regen.

Yes, maintenance is a little more involved in a diesel, but its not a deal breaker at all. I pay about $70 an oil change, not bad. Fuel filters every 15K miles is about a year and a half for me. I buy the filters on Amazon for about $90 for both and they are easy enough to change myself. The CCV filter I thought was 120,000 miles on DEF trucks, as they use EGR substantially less... but I honestly don't remember. The filter is $70 and its super easy to change.

Every thing else is the same, regardless of engine. Transfer case, cooling, transmission, etc.

Personally, if I was all highway miles and worried about engine durability and trade in value at higher mileage, I'd get the Cummins.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
At 120k:
14 oil changes with 7qts of 0w-40 synthetic
~$8 oil filter
16 spark plugs($150-200)
Fuelly shows 12 mpg avg
10000g fuel at $3(current local price) $30000

8 oil changes with 12qts of 15w-40
~$15 oil filter
4 fuel filter changes($50x4=$200)
~15 DEF fills at an avg $2.74 pump price(5.5gx15x$2.74=$226)
Fuelly shows 17mpg avg 7058g fuel at$3.46(current local price) $24424

If you change your own oil the costs are probably a wash. I don’t have time for that, so I buy the 3x express lane oil changes for $135 from my dealer. The Cummins oil change there is $159/per.

$159 for an oil change? Holly hell, is that for synthetic? My dealer is $69 with the coupon that shows up online every other month and $89 at regular price for regular 15w40. Also, there is a CCV filter that needs to be changed every 65k. It costs about $70 and takes about 5 minutes to change.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
I personally have a 5.7 and am ready for a 6.7. I’m bypassing a 6.4 cause I dont wanna go later down road and wish I had it. I’m regretting my gasser as I start towing more. But just everyday traveling the mileage is not great. I know I know I don’t usally worry about gas mileage in a hd truck. But the 6.7 will net me better mileage and I can maybe actually pass a gas station. My range in the 5.7 sucks.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Reapeat after me. The big bad diesel will not harm you......The big bad diesel will not harm you
I personally have a 5.7 and am ready for a 6.7. I’m bypassing a 6.4 cause I dont wanna go later down road and wish I had it. I’m regretting my gasser as I start towing more. But just everyday traveling the mileage is not great. I know I know I don’t usally worry about gas mileage in a hd truck. But the 6.7 will net me better mileage and I can maybe actually pass a gas station. My range in the 5.7 sucks.

You are in the perfect spot for a Cummins. When I was up there a few months ago, driving up and down 965 was sooo fun. The truck would just pull you up the short inclines without downshifting and hearing the exhaust brake bounce off the canyon walls going down was just awesome. I have been wanting to take my diesel BMW up those roads some day. Although that car is more of a high revver for a diesel and does not have the low end torque pull my Cummins does.

Last edited:

JoshR104

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Yea not sure why they put the 5.7 in these but I guess they were just taking there time to develop a better gas engine. If I towed often I would have looked at the 6.7 for sure as well but flat ground with the MDS 4 cyl crap I'm not complaining about mpg in a 7400 pound gas truck lol. One reason I actually preferred gas is the payload as my wife lovesss to bring 4 100 pound suit cases with her when we go away for anything. Tack ontop of that 2 100+ pound dogs, cages, food bins and other various crap we were pushing the 1500s payload to the limit with 4 occupants, full tank of gas and cargo. I think you still get around 2200 pounds of payload in the diesel but figured no camper just yet and the little amount towing the 2700 pounds payload would be pretty future proof for us.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD

Loses-their-mind.jpg

Pricejh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Guys thank you so much this is exactly the kind of feed back I am looking actual owners giving me the pros and cons. Anyone see any issues with a 16 Mega Cab 4x4 Cummins with only 17k miles. Seems like it’s been sitting more than driven.

A couple of years ago I traded my ‘12 1500 5.7L w 70k for a ‘15 Cummins with 14k. Best move I have made in a long time. Love me some big D.

Pricejh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
......You might want to re-phrase that Lol

You’re right. Big D is not my favorite place. Now, the Cumins does have a special place in my heart.

OP
OP
T

Trtlvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Guys this has been tremendous help. As most of you stated not really looking for what is better gas vs diesel . Just wanted to here from people that drive both. Maybe find someone in my same position. I test drove a 17 Mega Cab 6.7 4x4 Bighorn today and man it was nice on the interstate. The reality is my 1500 suits my needs for now actually got 19 mph hand calculated today on a 300 mile trip. But always wanted a HD and driven a company vehicle for years so had to drive what they gave me. Now I have a choice. Maybe end up at the end with something I want to keep. I greatly appreciate everyone’s help and personal experiences.

GottaBeKD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a BMW diesel with a 3L bi turbo 35d. When it was time to switch it up I wanted to stay with the diesels and looked at both the 2500 CTD and 1500 EcoDiesel. I knew the issues with emissions and whatnot with diesels in general.

2500 was too stiff and much for my needs. To top it off it wont fit in most parking garages in downtown Toronto. So it was between the ED and Hemi. Did the math and it just didn't make sense for my needs as it wasn't very different after everything was said and done in the grand scheme.

End of the day figure out what makes sense for you and your needs. Cost, maintenance, drivability, etc. Lots of info in this thread already.

G'Luck

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk