Newbie from NYC. Modifying my intake and exhaust in hopes of gaining 100+whp :D

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

Maximumrisk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah dude, i saw your pics! Your setup is awesome, very unique! Hoping that everything goes well for you! Good luck with the rest of the build

southernbnb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just read through your entire thread and am in pure awe!!!! Your truck is a work of art!!! Outstanding job man!!!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Rampitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks great.. Hooebyou don't have to change spark plugs anytime soon lol

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

Maximumrisk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks great.. Hooebyou don't have to change spark plugs anytime soon lol

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Actually, spark plugs can be replaced without having to remove any exhuast components. I replaced them 2 weeks ago and the only think i removed was the tubing going to the throttle body, nothing else :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Maximumrisk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First trip in the truck will be to the dyno right? Glad to see someone taking a crazy initiative such as this and knocking it out of the park!
I have an exhaust leak (stripped vband clamp) that i would like to fix before heading to the dyno. I was having problems locating a quality vband clamp, but i found one and will be installing it this weekend along with exhaust tips which i should also have ready by this weekend.
After i fix the exhaust leak and install the exhaust tips, and if nothing else needs trouble shooting then i will call and setup an appointment for dyno tuning. I will keep you up to date

OP
OP
M

Maximumrisk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a bit of a problem and would like to see if you can help me troubleshoot.
I give the truck a little gas (maybe 15-20% throttle, not getting into boost but close to zero vacuum) i let off the gas but the motor keeps acceleraring. I had to throw it into neutral, one time the revs came down, another time i had to shut the truck off then turn it back on because the revs kept up going up. By the way, when the revs do come down there is a lean pop out the exhaust.
Has anyone ever heard of something luke this? Is that something that could be fixed with tuning or is it something wrong with the computer or throttle body? There are no codes

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Do you have a surge valve on the intake line to bleed off any boost when you come off the gas? A BOV will limit boost but it doesn't relieve the building pressure when the TB snaps closed, this'll either cause compressor surge or force past the TB.

Don't worry too much about the lean pops, the PCM cuts the fuel when you come off the pedal so it's lean but there's no combustion, at least that's what my tuner's told me is the case. Mine pops all the time when I come off the pedal and it's really loud if I have the cutouts open.

OP
OP
M

Maximumrisk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have a surge valve on the intake line to bleed off any boost when you come off the gas? A BOV will limit boost but it doesn't relieve the building pressure when the TB snaps closed, this'll either cause compressor surge or force past the TB.

Don't worry too much about the lean pops, the PCM cuts the fuel when you come off the pedal so it's lean but there's no combustion, at least that's what my tuner's told me is the case. Mine pops all the time when I come off the pedal and it's really loud if I have the cutouts open.

I have been doing some research and have found that in some occasions the problem is the BOV but most times it is in the tune. I will wait to hear from my tuner to see what he says. If he doesnt think it is tune related, i will then rework the BOV

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
It's definitely possible it's in the tune as the guys on *** have pointed out but there's always the potential of the mechanical side being an issue which is why I brought it up. AJ will get it worked out if it's in the tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

Maximumrisk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I FINALLY was able to install the brakes today. I drove to my friends shop and he loaned me one of his lifts (thank god! LOL) anyways, thats done. Now i have to finish half of the PCV system, the part that works under boost. I will maybe do that tomorrow, i say maybe because it is Mothers day. We will see.

20160507_183811_zpspqx18ogd.jpg
20160507_183818_zpsfq2ho6ko.jpg
20160507_183828_zpsmqursxe1.jpg
I also found a spot to install the gauges. I do have a question: where do you guys tap for gauge lights? I tried to tap the dimmer wire to power the fauge light, but whenever i hooked the wire to it, the power would go away). Any tips?

20160424_190127_zpso25ct5sl.jpg

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I like the gauge placement. I tapped my dome light wire behind the A-pillar for my gauge power on my '07. I never could get the dimmer line to ever work except to just activate the night mode but I eventually cut those wires because it would cut out the dimmer function every so often.

OP
OP
M

Maximumrisk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like the gauge placement. I tapped my dome light wire behind the A-pillar for my gauge power on my '07. I never could get the dimmer line to ever work except to just activate the night mode but I eventually cut those wires because it would cut out the dimmer function every so often.

I am having the same problem, i cannot get the dimmer wire to consistently power the gauge bulb. I am tapping it right by the light switch. I wanted to see where you guys were tapping to power the guage light, but for it to also dim.
Wouldnt tapping into the dome light only power the bulb when the dome light is on? I would like to power it with the head lights (but like mentioned before, for the light to dim)

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I put a resistor in line with the lights and leave them powered all of the time. They are way too bright at night anyway.

OP
OP
M

Maximumrisk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have another question, is there a company that sells 3/16 or maybe 1/4" hubcentric wheel spacer for these trucks? Thanks

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Max, it's all looking good as it comes together. Great Fab skills...

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have another question, is there a company that sells 3/16 or maybe 1/4" hubcentric wheel spacer for these trucks? Thanks

I've seen 1/4" somewhere I think.. check out motorsport-tech.com. they make custom pieces if you can't find any