Newbie here

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamMatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Howdy folks! My name is Matt from Gods country...beautiful Georgia! I'm tryin to learn this forum business. Cut me some slack if I don't figure it out quick. Not a big fan of computers haha. Anywho, I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 reg cab lifted 3" with 33x12.5x16R. I'm trying to figure out what's best for my gears. My truck lags comin off the line now, doesn't accelerate worth a tick in a hounds hear. Feels almost like it skips 2nd gear. My old 97 f150 had more punch off the line and I had stock gears with 35s. Any help guys? Again I'm new to this forum thingy and needin to spruce up my truck again. I'd appreciate any help and suggestions y'all might have. Thanks

OP
OP
R

RamMatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm tryin to figure that out, how to upload em haha, I'll have some up ASAP guys...stock 3:55

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok...couple questions...do you plan on going any larger with tires? Do you do a lot of highway driving at highway speed?

Best way to upload pics is to host them on a site like Photobucket, then copy and past the IMG tag here in a post.

OP
OP
R

RamMatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea I wanna go 35s. I have the room. Umm, I drive alot yea but its like 50/50 as far as highway n backwoods...I live down in the holler. So mostly back roads and highway when headin to town...I won't change my tires for a few more months yet, wanna run mine down some more

OP
OP
R

RamMatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also don't drive too fast I usually take my time but I like to move along when I have to, or playin round in the mud

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would say at a minimum go 4.10's...if not, 4.56...and gear change that isn't at least 4.10, won't be wort it.

OP
OP
R

RamMatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What about my pickup issue, it feels like I don't have power in second, shifts to third quickly and if I punch it off the line, doesn't feel very strong

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome to the forum - this is a good way to learn about computers: reading and talking about the trucks we love.

OP
OP
R

RamMatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I like the idea of that, I'm obsessed with building trucks and figuring out new stuff. Thanks for the welcome SageBrush!!! I've had about every truck there is lol

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What about my pickup issue, it feels like I don't have power in second, shifts to third quickly and if I punch it off the line, doesn't feel very strong

Kind of hard to say if it's engine or trans related. My gen2 had an issue to where it would actually start off in second gear and would not downshift to first. Which, gave it 0 balls taking off at redlights.

Now, with that being said, when was the last time the trans was serviced?

OP
OP
R

RamMatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hell prolly a while...I'm close to full maintenance on everything...do it about once a year. Do you just mean a flush? Yea that's what mine does,....like the present day dukes would say..."NO Balls!!!

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hell prolly a while...I'm close to full maintenance on everything...do it about once a year. Do you just mean a flush? Yea that's what mine does,....like the present day dukes would say..."NO Balls!!!

If it's not down shifting from 2-1 and not upshifting from 1-2, you need to replace the shift solenoid in the trans.

I wouldn't do a flush per say, just a fluid and filter exchange. To save you a little money, don't buy name brand ATF +4, use Advance Auto Parts brand...it is rebranded Valvoline ATF +4.

OP
OP
R

RamMatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's shifting, just seems like its lacking something. I have a test pipe on the truck too with no cat. It's just a stock muffler and pipe. So it has a quiet hollow sound. Could that have anything to do with it, not having any back pressure?

OP
OP
R

RamMatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I didn't wanna but when I had work done they fd it up and they didn't wanna fix it and haven't had the time or money to spare lately. Moved recently. Also when I reconfigure the exhaust, I was thinking of some x or y pipe with super 44s. I do have the 5.2 keep in mind. Or I thought of adding a hollowed out single cat with a 1 in 2 out exhaust ...your thoughts? Also any suggestions on upgraded ignition and intake? Or any performance computer?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca