Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SFCSmart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Hello, i'm new here and have been able to learn some tips and tricks dealing with the Ram 1500 4.7L engine. I've never torn an engine apart, but with the cost associated with a new engine I figured what do i have to loose. I found that I had dropped a valve seat on the driver's side head.

Got my heads rebuilt and started to put everything back together last weekend. I ran into an issue that I'm needing some advice on. As usual, I forgot where some of the bolts go and probably lost some. I was about to put my power steering pump back on and saw there were multiple holes in the head but only 3 bolts to hold the pump on.

Does anyone know what goes in all the extra holes on the front of the driver's side head where the power steering pump bolts up? Also, there are 2 threaded plugs on the passenger side head that give you access to the chain guides. does anyone know what size is the smaller of the 2? Any help would be much appreciated.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
welcome!!

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to RamForum.

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
:party36::party36::welcome::party36::party36: Sorry, I can't help you with your engine build as I own a 5.7L Hemi, hope you get it sorted.
IMG_0811.JPG

OP
OP
S

SFCSmart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Thanks for the Welcome aboard posts. Great news, sort of, I was doing the rebuild under my big oak tree but in sand. I had to be extra careful on dropping nuts and bolts in the dirt and cleaning before putting them in. We had a good rain the other day and to my surprise, the plug for the r/s head was uncovered. As far as the extra holes around the power steering pump, I just put hex head plugs in all the extra holes. I hope this was the right thing to do.

The only thing that I have yet to receive the r/s valve cover. I ordered one from Summitt Racing but they shipped a 6 cylinder cover. I bought one Friday on eBay that was listed as a 4.7L but when I got the confirmation, it was for a 5.7L

I'm in my 60's and this was my first time to rebuild an engine. The engine overheated and dropped a valve seat into the #4 piston. Believe it or not, I disassembled the engine and rebuilt it by watching you tube and from reading these forums. I guess I will find out if I did everything right when I find the valve cover, finish plugging everything back in on that side, and turning the key. Keep your fingers crossed.