Next question - any reason to avoid a 2021 75th anniversary? (see post #31)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
So twice now I've gotten scooped before I could get to see a truck or work a deal. I'm pretty satisfied the PW is my next truck. I'm ok with ordering new and waiting and I'm ok with a very late model used. Is there any reason to avoid a 2021 or the 75th anniversary model in particular?

**Original thread** As the title states I'm going to test drive a 2019 factory certified Power Wagon later this week. Other than the warranty, I've little faith in "factory certified" because so much is random chance of what tech certified it and if they paid attention vs just checking boxes. The last "factory certified" truck I looked at had mud caked along the frame several inches deep and obvious aftermarket downgrades that the PO thought were upgrades. No way it was properly inspected, but I digress.

Is there anything specific to the PW I need to pay special attention to? I'm aware of the generic applies to every vehicle sort of inspection, but each model/year often has it's own little quirks.

And, just to set expectations, is there a big difference performance wise between the '18 and earlier vs the current production?

Last edited:

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As the title states I'm going to test drive a 2019 factory certified Power Wagon later this week. Other than the warranty, I've little faith in "factory certified" because so much is random chance of what tech certified it and if they paid attention vs just checking boxes. The last "factory certified" truck I looked at had mud caked along the frame several inches deep and obvious aftermarket downgrades that the PO thought were upgrades. No way it was properly inspected, but I digress.

Is there anything specific to the PW I need to pay special attention to? I'm aware of the generic applies to every vehicle sort of inspection, but each model/year often has it's own little quirks.

And, just to set expectations, is there a big difference performance wise between the '18 and earlier vs the current production?
‘19 and up got the 8 speed trans. The most notable change and very big upgrade to the prior gen IMO.

OP
OP
Docwagon1776

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
‘19 and up got the 8 speed trans. The most notable change and very big upgrade to the prior gen IMO.

Yeah, that's why I sought out the '19+. I was not terribly impressed with the '18 I drove, but the suspension had been monkeyed with. This is *allegedly* a completely stock vehicle. (I have trust issues with used vehicles, obviously...)

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Make sure the lockers and electric disco work and make sure winch works.

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh crawl underneath and make sure rear pinion is not leaking and front driveshaft not flinging grease. I just both replaced under warranty on my 2020 with 22000 miles.

OP
OP
Docwagon1776

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Its going to ride rough on factory 33's especially fully inflated. otherwise they are fantastic. i have a 20 have had no issues, besides not being able to pass a gas station.

I've owned an F-250, I expect a somewhat rougher ride in a 3/4 ton. The one I drove was bad even for a 3/4 ton, but it was modified somehow so I don't know how much was the truck and how much was the OP downgrading to aftermarket cool guy parts.

I would like a bigger tank given the expected fuel economy. I don't care much about fuel costs, I don't drive enough to make fuel a significant part of my budget, but I really care about range between fill ups. I'v asked on here a couple of times and it seems there's no good options for the 6'4" bed for an OEM or aftermarket option for a bigger gas tank for these. Is that still the case?

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its going to ride rough on factory 33's especially fully inflated. otherwise they are fantastic. i have a 20 have had no issues, besides not being able to pass a gas station.
Leave IOU's when you leave the gas stations? LOL... J/K

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
I've owned an F-250, I expect a somewhat rougher ride in a 3/4 ton. The one I drove was bad even for a 3/4 ton, but it was modified somehow so I don't know how much was the truck and how much was the OP downgrading to aftermarket cool guy parts.

I would like a bigger tank given the expected fuel economy. I don't care much about fuel costs, I don't drive enough to make fuel a significant part of my budget, but I really care about range between fill ups. I'v asked on here a couple of times and it seems there's no good options for the 6'4" bed for an OEM or aftermarket option for a bigger gas tank for these. Is that still the case?
Yes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Docwagon1776

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
...and after sitting for almost 3 months it sells the morning I'm going to go look at it. They are pretty rare around here, apparently, I can't find another in a 1.5 hour driving radius. I guess it wasn't meant to be on this one.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
...and after sitting for almost 3 months it sells the morning I'm going to go look at it. They are pretty rare around here, apparently, I can't find another in a 1.5 hour driving radius. I guess it wasn't meant to be on this one.
My last six trailer and vehicle purchases including our Power Wagon were on the outside edge of a 4.5 to 5 hour driving radius between Denver and Salt Lake City. 9 to 10 hour round trips at up to 80 MPH speed limits. Rare and no competition means my last purchase was $20K cheaper than anything local.

OP
OP
Docwagon1776

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
My last six trailer and vehicle purchases including our Power Wagon were on the outside edge of a 4.5 to 5 hour driving radius between Denver and Salt Lake City. 9 to 10 hour round trips at up to 80 MPH speed limits. Rare and no competition means my last purchase was $20K cheaper than anything local.

I'm certainly not afraid to drive, or fly, for the right deal. Issue boils down to time. I've been trying to go look at this truck for over a month but getting the time to do it has been problematic between work and pre-scheduled play times. Local places I can pop in and not worry about the 14 hour work day ahead of me. 5 hours round trip, well, you see the issue. :D

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Long shot, I know, but anybody know about this truck: https://www.huntauto.com/used-Franklin-2019-RAM-2500-Power+Wagon-3C6TR5EJ2KG582965

It appears to have Fox shocks from the photo, unsure if the suspension has been modified further from what I can see. It's a drive for me, but not an undoable one.
that is well equipped no doubt. I would have them crawl under and take photos of the under carriage to make sure it has not been abused....and to see if other suspension mods or just the shocks before I made the drive. fox reservoir shocks are nice and nice AEV wheels. perhaps it has a Thuren suspension as thuren uses fox shocks

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
that is well equipped no doubt. I would have them crawl under and take photos of the under carriage to make sure it has not been abused....and to see if other suspension mods or just the shocks before I made the drive. fox reservoir shocks are nice and nice AEV wheels. perhaps it has a Thuren suspension as thuren uses fox shocks
Yea looks like thuren suspension to me…can almost see his white name on the front spring just above the tire. And with the way the truck is clearing 37’s, looks to have a little more altitude than stock springs

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't know anything about the truck, but for that price - that year - and those miles I believe I would order a new one.
Yeaaaa, except a comparable new one would be another 20 grand.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Long shot, I know, but anybody know about this truck: https://www.huntauto.com/used-Franklin-2019-RAM-2500-Power+Wagon-3C6TR5EJ2KG582965

It appears to have Fox shocks from the photo, unsure if the suspension has been modified further from what I can see. It's a drive for me, but not an undoable one.
Looks like a clean rig for sure with some nice suspension and wheel/tire upgrades. As long as it hasnt been beat up in the rocks and mud (will be easy to tell) seems like a pretty good deal.

OP
OP
Docwagon1776

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I don't know anything about the truck, but for that price - that year - and those miles I believe I would order a new one.

Even at 5% under invoice, a similarly optioned truck would be $13-$15k more and an estimated *minimum* 20 week wait. If you can find me a new one with the lvl 2 and 360 camera for, say $65k, on the market then send me a link and I'll be ecstatic to look in to it.

Last edited:

Coll4646

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Agree w/ other posts, looks like Thuren 1 1/2” front coils with the Fox resi’s. Which means prob at least front track bar and rear sways as well. That, plus the amp step, 37”s and whatever else you can’t see, that’s a really nice setup.

I bet you can push them down from $58 considering miles though…