No 4WD auto option

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My new-ish RAM (2012) doesn't have 4WD Auto, just 2wd/4wd lock/4wd Lo.
I don't have a problem with that but I do have a question. My drive to work in the winter consists of about 50km on a single lane highway that's frequently pretty crappy to drive on in the winter. Since I don't have the auto option, what approach should I be using? Switch back and forth manually between 2wd and 4wd lock or just leave it in 4wd?

Rambling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
I think it depends on your comfort level. I drive my '03 Ram in 2wd 98% of the time. I actually only use it if I'm stuck or start spinning on glare ice at stop signs/lights. Beyond that I'm always in 2wd. Again, it all depends on your comfort level. But if you want peace of mind then leave it in 4wd. The only downside is you'll use more gas. But if your comfortable driving it in 2wd a lot of the time then just use 4wd whenever the weather is nasty out. It's really just personal preference.

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if its mostly snow, ice, slush, just leave it in 4wd. Even some wet pavement going straight wont be an issue. Just dont forget to take it out when you get back to normal conditions.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i mainly run 2wd unless it's really bad but you can run 4wd all the time as long as it's slippery enough to allow the wheels to slip a bit during turns

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
If it's snowing slushy locking into 4wd high will be fine. Dry pavement going stright is fine you just can't turn it'll bind. The main thing is don't force the steering when when your in 4wd if you feel any binding click it back into 2wd.