no brake signal for trailer plug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rod7515

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just bought a 2011 ram 1500 quad truck to replace my 98 1500 single cab truck. It has the towing package so the plug is a factory one.
I towed an enclosed trailer home the other night and I didnt have any trailer brakes. Today I went out and found that there is no power to that leg of the plug. I went to my owners manual and found nothing that refers to a wiring diagram or breaker for that circuit. Im hoping someone here can help.
I check the cartridge fuse#J2 which ilisted as the electric brakes and that is good, also mini fuse # m1 15 amp is good.
I havent crawled under the truck to test any wires yet but was hoping someone here may know of a fuse or connector that is a common fix? Can anyone refer me to a wiring diagram from the factory or offer any help. It would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Rod

OP
OP
R

rod7515

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update, for whatever reason when I moved the trailer tonite the brakes are now working. Not sure what changed but Im happy now!
Rod

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Clean your connections and check for loose or damaged wires. Spray the connectors with contact cleaner. You can find that in Home Depot or Lowe's in the electrical section. A coating of dialectic grease wouldn't hurt either as a final step.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
If the trailer is using the ball connection for the ground then that is your problem. Add a separate ground wire from the lights to the trailer connector.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If the trailer is using the ball connection for the ground then that is your problem. Add a separate ground wire from the lights to the trailer connector.
4, 5, 6 and 7 pin trailer plug for automotive when wired correctly include a ground wire.
Trailer lights also use the mounting bolts for the ground. The trailer frame should be attached to the ground wire that is in the plug, same for the tow vehicle.connector-wiring-diagrams.jpg

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Nice Crash, +3 on the trailer connection poster!

Two things I could never figure out about the 7-way connectors... 1 - why didn't they just keep the pinouts the same? I know the trucking industry uses the round, which is an SAE configuration. Why did the RV peeps have to come up with their own connector. And 2 - Why doesn't the 7-way RV connector use the largest connector for ground, like the SAE?

If I didn't have to hook up to such an assortment of work trailers on a regular basis, I would just replace all my truck and trailer connectors with an SAE.