No electrical power whatsoever

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamNotDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Monday truck (2018 2500 gasser) was dead, no lights, bells whistles, nothing. Disconnected the negative terminal and it all came back on when reconnected. Now it's Thursday and it's happened 4 times since then. I got a new battery three weeks ago... so last night I disconnected the battery and left it disconnected all night hoping for some sort of reset. But while disconnected from the truck I put the trickle charger on the battery. When I came out this morning the trickle charger was blinking as if there was a problem with the battery. Even though the battery is new that doesn't mean its good. Could the battery have an issue, the truck senses it and decides to protect itself by disconnecting all electrical function? In other words, does perhaps the body control module sense an issue with the battery that the voltmeter doesn't (13.6 volts)?

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All batteries, new or otherwise are an unknown variable until load tested.

Take the battery to an auto parts store for a load test, most will check it for free.
Or, the better solution is to buy your own toaster-style battery load tester.
They're only about $20 and far more reliable than a digital tester.
I enjoy the convenience of owning most of my own test gear.

battery load tester.jpg

The above picture is for reference only.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just because something is new, that doesn't always mean it is good. As mentioned you need to have the battery load tested to see how many amps it is putting out.....keep in mind a watch size battery can output 13+ volts but it definitely does not put out enough amps to start a truck. If you are having these types of issues with the truck and the trickle charger is indicating an issue, then a decent chance the battery is bad. But would have it tested before randomly replacing it.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
As mentioned above I'd definitely have the battery tested, and if your trickle charger is indicating a problem with the battery unhooked from the truck, there's a good chance it's bad.

Take it back to where you bought it, have them load test it, and since you just bought it 3 weeks ago, they should swap it out no questions asked.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I wouldn't even bother testing it. It's new. No reason to waste your time.

Take it back, get it replaced. For new battery though. I would put your charger on it before putting it in truck.

Don't charge it while it's connected to the truck. Full charge it, and then put in truck(connect it).