No I do not want to race you in your truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I've done a little street racing in my youth in my 1972 Demon 340. It was bone stock with a 3 speed so it had a restricted control module, wouldn't rev over 5000 rpm's if I remember correctly. Of course that was back in '72-'73, and there was a lot less traffic on the roads back then, after about 10:00 pm, the roads were pretty much deserted so not much of a chance of some innocent person getting caught up in the middle. Today, it's crazy and dangerous to street race.
I'd love to have that Demon 340 now!

Rockyhammock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had my days also. From Vettes to Novas. Started with a 71 340 Duster, ended with a 350 SS 69 Camaro. Lots of trucks tried, but it was due to there being another similar Camaro in town, almost the same color, but not with my horsepower. I was new to town and I guess they thought they would show off to the gal and beat this guys Camaro. LOL, they were in for a rude awakening.

Camarograss.jpg

JRI2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's literally a no-win situation, besides all the obvious problems. If you think it's going to be stop light to stop light, you would be wrong. Some idiot will take it to 150 just not to lose, and he might cut you off as well.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I had my days also. From Vettes to Novas. Started with a 71 340 Duster, ended with a 350 SS 69 Camaro. Lots of trucks tried, but it was due to there being another similar Camaro in town, almost the same color, but not with my horsepower. I was new to town and I guess they thought they would show off to the gal and beat this guys Camaro. LOL, they were in for a rude awakening.

View attachment 469872
I'd like to have that '71 340 Duster also!

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Growing up in northern NJ in the 70's as a teenager I worked at a Kawasaki dealership. Every Friday night there would be a race with a competing dealership or individual with another fast bike on the NJ Turnpike at like 1am. It would happen all so quickly were cars would slow down blocking all lanes to let the race happen. It was over and the winners took their money and went home.
NEVA "raced" on the "Pike", only on the GSP. I lived by da Shore, not the west side, LOL...

Drop a "QUARTER" in the basket every few miles. Heck, we were so broke, we would drop "25" pennies in the basket, lmao.

Elzie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I had my 81 Camaro I used to get trucks that would try to race me. Even with a 388 under the hood the car was a sled. It's not worth it to me. One day I was going down Chestnut St in Wilmington, real windy road, and an NSX was toying with me. I didn't even bother. Now I have my 01 Mustang convertible and I constantly get European cars trying to race. I don't know what people are thinking. Once in a while I'll get into the power of the car, but it's always brief and usually on a street in the middle of nowhere.

Salesguy7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Farmer Fran, they don't really want to race they just want to see a fast car go fast. I have had several vettes and most of the cars that "challenged" me likely had a hard time just getting out of the driveway. Take as a compliment that they want to see your car perform.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Thats just it
There are no racetracks
The city fathers saw to that

Back in the early '70s, i lived in Coachella California
Just south of there is a small town called Thermal
In Thermal, there was a unused airport
1 weekend a month we would cone off the area, i brought the traffic cones, another person brought a TREE
Others would bring whatever they had
The local Fire Dept, bought an Ambulance & Fire Engine

Even the big boys out of L.A, would run there on occasion
Their equipment & car would not be marked, they would use the airport for a bit of tuning.
I doubt anyone uses that runway any more, except for the rancher that owned the land.

I just looked it up.
A Private Auto Club is setting up a racetrack & airport complex, almost across the HWY 86 from where our little airstrip was

It's called the "Thermal Club". The intention was similar to living on a golf course, or even on a private airport, only homes around a race track.

Great idea initially, but the cost of membership, dues, not to mention the land and cost of house you had to build made it limited to many.

BMW came in and saw an opportunity. This is their West Coast Performance Center, much like The Porsche Center in Carson & Atlanta.

Have been there several times , and it is a blast !!!

Silas Shafer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I live in Austin, TX. Everyone is trying to race. It's even worse when I'm on my motorcycle rather than my Powerwagon.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Where I'm at all the zippers switching lanes like idiots and you pull up behind them at every stop light! I KNOW what an idiot driver is because I use to be one. I was a dumb teenager, these I speak of are or "look" like adults!

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmmm, I never have a problem with people trying to race me,,,not sure why?
Nice car, nice hossie, Isn't that the Mustang GT version they put out, with like 528 hossies?

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I live in Austin, TX. Everyone is trying to race. It's even worse when I'm on my motorcycle rather than my Powerwagon.
PPL want to race my Goldwing all the Time. Trike, but the ECU (throttle electric by wire/fuel injection), IS locked at 124.9 mph max. NE way, why would I want to race an idiot and take the chance of tearing up my trike, LOL...

DSCN0319aa.jpg

Cableram05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It happens a minimum of 2x per day someone in their RAM wants to race me while I am in my Challenger Scatpack.

I do not want to race you. It is silly so please stop it.

Thank you, have a wonderful day
Hum,I get that when I'm driving my 2005 dodge ram 1500 on the freeway,only it's a Challenger or Mustang

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
SocalRamFan

There is a Test & Trials Track on the 405, i think
It may be a Private Track run by BMW or Porche

I have noticed it going from I-5, then getting on the 405 heading towards Long Beach
I have not noticed it when heading back to I-5, trees may block it & its usually 4PM traffic, i don't take my eyes off the road

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
When I had my Challenger RT I had a buddy that has a Z06 Corvette that wanted to race me. Told him to get a trailer and put 800 to 1000 lbs on it and let's go. Of course it never happened. Apple's and apple's!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
It is funny when you see a vehicle flying by you in town
within two intersections you are pulling up behind them, waiting on the same light & you were driving within 5 MPH of the speed limit.

I once saw a yellow Corvette pass me on I-8
2 miles up the road the Corvette was on its roof in the fast lane
If the driver had just waited 4 more Off Ramps, he would have been completely out of the Metro area & out by the ranch land & sparse housing

Rx7man

Reaction score
Ram Year
94 Ram SC DRW 4x4 Flatdeck
Engine
12V 5.9 Stg 3 cam and headwork, yadda yadda
Yup, I'm in BC and it's become a no-fun-zone, they shut down the tracks, make life difficult, etc.. Now with covid our yearly races at the airport (just 1/8th mile) have been shut down too
I just nosed this 440 car in my old farm truck
13731828_10154347745539420_1359705094111059952_o.jpg

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Yup, I'm in BC and it's become a no-fun-zone, they shut down the tracks, make life difficult, etc.. Now with covid our yearly races at the airport (just 1/8th mile) have been shut down too
I just nosed this 440 car in my old farm truck
View attachment 469971
Love to have that plum crazy Challenger. Beautiful car!

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
SocalRamFan

There is a Test & Trials Track on the 405, i think
It may be a Private Track run by BMW or Porche

I have noticed it going from I-5, then getting on the 405 heading towards Long Beach
I have not noticed it when heading back to I-5, trees may block it & its usually 4PM traffic, i don't take my eyes off the road
Yes, that's the Porsche Driving Experience Center just off the 405 in Carson. Across the street is the GoodYear Blimp facility.