No ignition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

created1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all.
Have had a recurring and inconsistent problem with my 2013 Ram Sport (5.7) ignition and now it's finally left me stranded.
It was happening say every 8th start or so.
Put fob in ignition, turn key, no start with no starter engaged but cluster lights up. It would however ,start if I used the remote start....but...when I put key back in and step on the brake etc it automatically shut the engine down. Later on if I turned my back and came back to it it would arbitrarily start with the key just fine.
Now it just won't start at all. And the last thing it did on the last shut down...I had the key in my hand but the truck ran for thirty seconds then shut down!
Is this the ignition node module playing games? Or is it something else in the electrical stream so to speak. Our shops are so busy here I can't get in anywhere for two weeks!
Thanks

Curt Gobbell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
are you saying here "Put fob in ignition, turn key, no start with no starter engaged but cluster lights up. " that when you turned the ignition key, the starter turned over and rotated the engine, but the engine never fired?

OP
OP
created1der

created1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No....turn key and no starter( not turning or clicking). I could remote start....but key would not start

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
bypass win module, it is likely TIPM known issue.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
you wont be stranded again, here... I would however hide it, either in center seat or under dash, because someone could steel the truck if they knew about it.

Igottano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the same problem. I am going to do what Burla suggests. I've already used a paperclip to jump the truck, but this looks so much easier. Thanks Burla

OPSdoc2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.6
Nearly identical issue with a 2019 1500 Laramie... Parked for approx. 15 minutes and returned with very strange to no dash indications including "no FOB detected". Finally, got vehicle started and drove to dealership. Initially, dealer service could not get the vehicle started... then they could. One week later, they still have my truck, and they can not ID the issue. The only "problem" they suggest is that I had a USB/C cable plugged into a USB port (without a cell phone connected). Any thoughts would be appreciated.

MoparDriver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you all for your input. On my 2012 RAM 5.7 Bighorn (205K miles), the truck intermittently shuts down while driving (All electrics turn off - except the OAT and Odometer). While rolling I slip the Trany up into N and restart - no problem. The Fault usuallys happens less than 50MPH and usually in the first mile of the day. Bouncing suspension, bad roads and weather do not replicate the problem. The symptom is as if I turned the Key to the one click left (off run). We removed the WIN Module opened it up; while all componets looked good we cleaned it with Contact cleaner. The fault did not reappeared for 2 days then it failed 3x in 30 mins -argh! I have taken it to the Dealer, they have no answers and don't want to trow a "$400" part at it not knowing that's the problem. Next I am going to lift the Fuse Box and look for connection issues, probably not there.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bypass wiring would be a good troubleshooting strategy.

Is the root cause a relay or solder joint on the TIPM?

MoparDriver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We don't know the root cause yet. Another contributor (Indept) suggested in a similar post, they had the same experience with a

CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR​

r failure, that is a simple fix so I am going to replace that. Also I am going to lift the TIMP box and check the connector latches for unlocked position.

Attachments

• TIPM Locks.PNG
    TIPM Locks.PNG
    494.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Crandkshaft position sensor.PNG
    Crandkshaft position sensor.PNG
    86.6 KB · Views: 5

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
With the Passive Ignition, FOB is inserted into the ignition to start truck
There are 4 wires that go to a Module behind the rear seat
I believe in a video, i saw a mechanic use a scope & the red wire that goes from the Ignition to the module behind the rear seat was bad.
He at first bypassed or jumped that wire & tested it & the Ram started while using the key.
Then he replaced the bad wire.

I am not saying that your red wire is bad, but it may be a solution for others