No laughing... Thinking about hubcaps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash_eco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
So as you can see in my intro tread, I have a nice set of black wheels to run with all summer. Well the winter rims are the awfully ugly silver steels. No point in painting them as it would need to be perfect cause it can't be half assed and that involves me pullin the tires. So I'm thinking hubcaps.

Or,

I may suck it up and paint them, What do you guys think about running a set of center caps like the police chargers have?

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I happen to like my grey steelies for the winter. Looks stock. And i do have the center chrome cap.

But please no hubcaps. Aside from being ugly as sin they keep the salt in and the wires rub the paint and after a few years you have a rusty ass wheel to sand down and paint. So its like a make work project.

Magna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can avoid removing the tires by giving them a healthy coating of Vaseline or silicone (Vaseline is cheaper) before painting and then clean it off after the paint dries.

This signature is AWESOME!!!

HemiPower36

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 3.92 8-speed
Engine
hemi 5.7
It's all good, rock the hub caps, I have a fancy version called "chrome clad." Lol. Fancy hubcap is all it is.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Plasti dip?

guzzel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So as you can see in my intro tread, I have a nice set of black wheels to run with all summer. Well the winter rims are the awfully ugly silver steels. No point in painting them as it would need to be perfect cause it can't be half assed and that involves me pullin the tires. So I'm thinking hubcaps.

Or,

I may suck it up and paint them, What do you guys think about running a set of center caps like the police chargers have?

May not look that bad. If you pull the trigger on them, post some pics.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Paint them. Use playing cards pushed between the tire and the rim for masking. They are thin enough and stiff enough to go in there. Easiest way I found is to deflate the tire, put the cards in then refill the tire to essentially wedge them in.

OP
OP
C

crash_eco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
may be time to pick up some black paint. its starting to get cold here though so i may have to wait till next summer. I thought about this a bit late in the season.

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
Paint them. Use playing cards pushed between the tire and the rim for masking. They are thin enough and stiff enough to go in there. Easiest way I found is to deflate the tire, put the cards in then refill the tire to essentially wedge them in.

And after you can clip them on somehow and let them flap against your spokes.

Bwap bwap bwap bwap bwap bwap. :roflsquared:

Good idea though.

OP
OP
C

crash_eco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
And after you can clip them on somehow and let them flap against your spokes.

Bwap bwap bwap bwap bwap bwap. :roflsquared:

Good idea though.

i wonder how many (current value) thousands of dollars i shredded on my bicycle as a kid using baseball cards LoL

OP
OP
C

crash_eco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
No more worries about hubcaps. Haha. Truck gets traded in on Wednesday and the ugly steel wheels are going with it. So I will have chrome rims for one set of tires and my black aftermarket rims for the other set. Haven't decided what ones I want to use for summer and what ones for winter.

OP
OP
C

crash_eco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi