Ordered A Ram…Thinking About Different Wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lil' Rob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello, new to the forum, but have been reading here for research. So, a quick thanks to the existing members for all the good info. I am a current owner of a Ford 150, and I’ll leave it at that.

I recently placed an order on a new 2020 Ram and just got a VIN the other day. I don’t care for the wheels coming on the truck…too plain and shiny, and also don’t care for the majority of the aftermarket wheels I’ve seen, as they’re too “busy” looking for me. My preference is somewhere in between. I’m not trying to darken everything, but am trying to balance out the chrome, etc. look. I have been thinking about having the wheels swapped by the dealer at delivery for a set of the Rebel wheels, and have been leaning that direction. I am now wondering whether to find a set of take-offs that still have the 10-ply tires on them, as opposed to having the 6-ply’s transferring rim to rim. Just not sure I want that aggressive tread for everyday driving?

Thoughts? Pro’s and con’s?

Thanks.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
welcome, do you plan to haul or offroad much?

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Congrats on the new truck. Great color choice too!

Like Graygoose asked, what are you planning to use your truck for? Not really any need for 10 ply tires if you're just going to use it on the highway. They are heavier and can affect fuel economy a bit. The 6 ply Falkens are fine for occasional light off-roading. Either 6 or 10 ply are fine for towing or hauling, as long as you stay within the capacities the truck is rated for.

OP
OP
Lil' Rob

Lil' Rob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It won't stay on pavement, but also won't be used on nasty trails.

I got rid of my camper and now rent them a few times a year, so try to select ones around 6000 pounds at most. Parking isn't always ideal or on solid ground. Kind of the same thing with my boat. A couple of places I go I have to park off pavement, so may have to maneuver around and over ruts from previous people tearing things up. It seems I'm always hauling something for someone...gravel, mulch, lumber, etc.

I hadn't thought of any extra weight potential going from 6-ply to 10-ply, so good point there. I'm accustomed to my work vehicles having 10-ply tires and making sure the fleet management doesn't go cheap on replacement tires. I'd imagine that 6-ply would probably be good enough.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Maybe keep the factory ones, and use them as cash to sell outright and get wheels and tire combo you do like?
I sold my stock Bighorn chrome with stock SRAs for like $850. Used toward a combo I did like.

Nationaljan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Howdey..Dumping the Ford for Ram! Thats your first good choice. Getting rid of stock wheels second good choice. This question was a tuff one for me as well. I went with Fuel rims Nitto tires. Just about as smooth as stock! No road noise! With a great look. Search interweb for pics, that helps with the visual.

CE994AED-B037-4689-907A-AA14BE7403F0.jpeg

FB866578-8507-43F5-B413-62FAF62CC0F5.jpeg

OP
OP
Lil' Rob

Lil' Rob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am even considering keeping the stock wheels/tires to use during the spring and summer...and then switch to a different set completely for fall and winter.

JPW_Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you have a pic of the wheels you’re getting? Some people might buy yours or trade, especially if you want the rebel wheels.

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I kept the stock wheels for snow tires. I went with these for the other 3 seasons. I run 10 ply tires for the stronger sidewalls.IMG_0767.JPG

Nationaljan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sold my Limited wheels and tires on Facebook $1500.00
Remind ppl. New Ram is 6 bolt pattern now!

LarryA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Similar issue - I went with Black Rhino Sierra's with Toyo AT II in P-Metric size. Very happy with the combination, we spent a great deal of the last 2 summers exploring forest services roads here in Washington State with no problems, and occasionally pull a 2 horse trailer as well.

I wish I had kept the stock wheel/tires as back up - but no issues with the new stuff.

Biggest downer is when I eventually trade up for a 5th gen these wheels won't fit... :(

OP
OP
Lil' Rob

Lil' Rob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I kept the stock wheels for snow tires. I went with these for the other 3 seasons. I run 10 ply tires for the stronger sidewalls.View attachment 195788

What rims are those?

I'll likely go with swapping the delivered tires onto a set of Rebel rims...maybe an aftermarket rim...and see how I like the tires.

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Ultra Warlocks. 18 inch would not fit over Calipers and I had to go with 20s.

Dice

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ultra Warlocks. 18 inch would not fit over Calipers and I had to go with 20s.
What year is your truck? I went with the same wheels in all black. Mine are 18s and clear fine on my 13.

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
2019 next gen with 6 hole wheel. New gen has bigger brakes.

Coyote1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I could not decide what I wanted on Wheels so I did plastic dip, it took a couple hours and 50 bucks, if I get tired of it I can buy new wheels or peel off the plastic dip,IMG_3933 3.JPG

OP
OP
Lil' Rob

Lil' Rob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will get the Falken Wildpeak A/T's off the stock rims and onto a set of Rebel wheels I picked up...maybe this weekend.

compshooter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got General Grabber X3s and love them, 295/65R20. I put them on 4th gen OEM black wheels. The do rub slightly at full rotation but nothing I'm concerned about.

IMG_0912.jpeg

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Be careful when buying tires as I have often found ones that were "6-ply rated" and not really 6-ply tires. I would bet that the same would apply to "10-ply" tires. Stiffer sidewalls may help with handling but you will definitely get a more truck like ride that negates the value of buying a pickup with a coil suspension.

A more aggressive tread is good for dirt but worse for snow and sand and for wet pavement. Fuel economy will also be poorer and tread life will be shorter. But if you think they make the truck look cool then why worry?

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Ply ratings go back 100 years when to strengthen s tire you added mo r cotton plies to each tire. Modern tires use nylon,rayon.steel etc. Which are much stronger than cotton. Very few tires now have more than a couple of plies in the sidewalk due to using stronger cords. Heavy truck tires have only one steel ply in the sidewall. A bonus to a 6 ply or more tire is that you generally get at least 25% more tread depth.