Why I L O V E Michelin Defender LTX M/S

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Been running these tires since I bought my 1999 2500.
Knew they were a long lasting terrific tire but never really paid much attention.

Until Today, that is.

According to my receipts, sitting right here, in front of me.

I got rid of my OEM Goodyear Junkyears at 28K Miles.

i clearly remember them P.O.S..
complete junk.
Finally had enough of rear end busting loose, due to a slight misting of rain.

Bought my 1st set of 4 Michelin Defender LTX M/S, for this truck at 27900miles.

At 69,700 miles, ran over something that caused a blow out but, luck would have it, i made it to Sam's Club before she went flat. They said could not be repaired, which suited me just fine and put a new tire on. Asked them if the tread wear as significant enough to warrant all four being replaced and they said not to worry about it. the other three were like new.

Found that hard to believe, since the other 3 tires had over 40K miles on them but okay, I was willing to spend it and they didn't want to take, good enough for me.

At 85, 500 miles, had one tire that looked really different from the others. Just look more worn.
(DISCLAIMER: 3:92 POSI rear end and the Boy has been known to do burnouts. The Boy, not me, Honest!)

Took it in and the guy recommended I replace it. I asked again, think I need to just replace all four. he goes, Not really. One looks brand new and the other two look damn good , so no, I do not recommend it.

Hmm, Well, okay, if you say so.
Almost 60k on those other two but if you say so.

Fast forward to today, rucks got 118, 800 miles on it.
Took it to Firestone so my SIL could do an oil change.

While the truck was on the lift, I'm walking around inspecting.
Darn, those tires look like they should be replaced.
I better look at my paperwork.

Ask my S.I.L. what Super Double Rabbi Discount he could get for their best set of Rubber.

Hmm, okay.
Think I will head over to Costco, it's close by and see what they think too.

Costco tire manager comes out, looks over the tires, measures the tread depth.
Well, you got:
one just under 4/32nds,
one just over 4/32nds,
one just over 7/32nds,
one just under 8/32nds.
Don't usually see that much variation, on a set of tires.

Me, Well, think I should replace them all.
Knowing I'd already made up my mind to.
2/32nds is legally bald, around here.
5/32nds is where I like to replace my tires.

Well, he goes, it is Summer.
The poor tread is alternated so you will still have good traction.
I think, if it were me, I'd ride them out and replace all four by Fall.

Cool. Thanks.
Got a set of four?
How much?
Can you do them now?
Here are my keys.

The Firestone/ Bridgestone/whatever the Hell Stone were cheaper but.... I've been running this tire for decades and KNOW it is reliable.

Set of four new tires 275/60/20 cost $8 more than 4 years and over 90K miles later.

Wrap your mind around that, for just a second.
I got 90,892 miles out of tow of those tires.

Still thinking about that 90K miles out of a set of rubber?

Then consider that the two worst tires, at 4/32nds,
could still go almost 20K more miles before they hit 2/32nds!

Remember the tread depths?
Tires started with 12/32nds, new

one just under 4/32nds --- ran for 90.892 miles --- 11,361.5 miles per 32th
one just over 4/32nds --- ran for 90.892 miles --- 11,361.5 miles per 32th
one just over 7/32nds --- ran for 49,071 miles --- 9,814.2 miles per 32th
one just under 8/32nds--- ran for 33,348 miles --- 8,337 miles per 32th

Keep in mind, the Boy has been known to lay down some rubber.
Never me, honest.

Practically all of my driving is Interstate.

Reason I replaced all four was because I noticed the truck would bust loose at the boat ramp, when it was covered in gunk and super wet. I got fishing to do this Summer and am not going to be part of the Boat Ramp Follies.

That and I just wanted new tires.

Driving home, on the Interstate, I looked in the rear view mirror and, you got to be ******** me!!@!@
That grill of the car behind me is crisp, sharp and clear!
My Truck had the Shimmy. Drive axle has been tweaked, new Michelin's helped but it still had an ever so slight highway speed vibration that was most noticeable when looking in the rear view mirror or the passenger side front seat headrest.

That Honda, behind me, sharp as a tack. No vibrations.
Sped ahead, got in front of another vehicle, one with those multiple horizontal bars in the grill.
No Blur, sharp as a tack.

Look over at my empty passenger seat head rest. just the tiniest bit of vibration.
Can see it but, when I placed on my fingers under it, just barely touching it, it ceased.

.... and THAT is why I love Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires!

Got to remember to call Firestone, in the Morning, and schedule a 4 wheel alignment.
FYI, if you ever have an alignment, do it at Firestone, for just a few bucks more, can get a Lifetime Alignment. Anytime I think things may be hinky, truck goes in for an alignment.
Buy new tires? Get an Alignment.

Hope my S.I.L. does not get much grief about those new Michelin's
when it's in for the Alignment.

Shop Manager really did give me a terrific price on those
Firestone/Bridgestone/Whatever the Hell Stones.

Problem was...they just ain't Michelin's.

Last edited:

Batt4Christ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Over 90k miles from tires on a full-size pickup is one for the record books. You probably should contact Michelin and offer them your story for marketing, as you got well over their rated mileage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Been running these tires since I bought my 1999 2500.
Knew they were a long lasting terrific tire but never really paid much attention.

Until Today, that is.

According to my receipts, sitting right here, in front of me.

I got rid of my OEM Goodyear Junkyears at 28K Miles.

i clearly remember them P.O.S..
complete junk.
Finally had enough of rear end busting loose, due to a slight misting of rain.

Bought my 1st set of 4 Michelin Defender LTX M/S, for this truck at 27900miles.

At 69,700 miles, ran over something that caused a blow out but, luck would have it, i made it to Sam's Club before she went flat. They said could not be repaired, which suited me just fine and put a new tire on. Asked them if the tread wear as significant enough to warrant all four being replaced and they said not to worry about it. the other three were like new.

Found that hard to believe, since the other 3 tires had over 40K miles on them but okay, I was willing to spend it and they didn't want to take, good enough for me.

At 85, 500 miles, had one tire that looked really different from the others. Just look more worn.
(DISCLAIMER: 3:92 POSI rear end and the Boy has been known to do burnouts. The Boy, not me, Honest!)

Took it in and the guy recommended I replace it. I asked again, think I need to just replace all four. he goes, Not really. One looks brand new and the other two look damn good , so no, I do not recommend it.

Hmm, Well, okay, if you say so.
Almost 60k on those other two but if you say so.

Fast forward to today, rucks got 118, 800 miles on it.
Took it to Firestone so my SIL could do an oil change.

While the truck was on the lift, I'm walking around inspecting.
Darn, those tires look like they should be replaced.
I better look at my paperwork.

Ask my S.I.L. what Super Double Rabbi Discount he could get for their best set of Rubber.

Hmm, okay.
Think I will head over to Costco, it's close by and see what they think too.

Costco tire manager comes out, looks over the tires, measures the tread depth.
Well, you got:
one just under 4/32nds,
one just over 4/32nds,
one just over 7/32nds,
one just under 8/32nds.
Don't usually see that much variation, on a set of tires.

Me, Well, think I should replace them all.
Knowing I'd already made up my mind to.
2/32nds is legally bald, around here.
5/32nds is where I like to replace my tires.

Well, he goes, it is Summer.
The poor tread is alternated so you will still have good traction.
I think, if it were me, I'd ride them out and replace all four by Fall.

Cool. Thanks.
Got a set of four?
How much?
Can you do them now?
Here are my keys.

The Firestone/ Bridgestone/whatever the Hell Stone were cheaper but.... I've been running this tire for decades and KNOW it is reliable.

Set of four new tires 275/60/20 cost $8 more than 4 years and over 90K miles later.

Then consider that the two worst tires, at 4/32nds,
could still go almost 20K more miles before they hit 2/32nds!

Remember the tread depths?
Tires started with 12/32nds, new

one just under 4/32nds --- ran for 90.892 miles --- 11,361.5 miles per 32th
one just over 4/32nds --- ran for 90.892 miles --- 11,361.5 miles per 32th
one just over 7/32nds --- ran for 49,071 miles --- 9,814.2 miles per 32th
one just under 8/32nds--- ran for 33,348 miles --- 8,337 miles per 32th

Keep in mind, the Boy has been known to lay down some rubber.
Never me, honest.

Practically all of my driving is Interstate.

Reason I replaced all four was because I noticed the truck would bust loose at the boat ramp, when it was covered in gunk and super wet. I got fishing to do this Summer and am not going to be part of the Boat Ramp Follies.

That and I just wanted new tires.

Driving home, on the Interstate, I looked in the rear view mirror and, you got to be ******** me!!@!@
That grill of the car behind me is crisp, sharp and clear!
My Truck had the Shimmy. Drive axle has been tweaked, new Michelin's helped but it still had an ever so slight highway speed vibration that was most noticeable when looking in the rear view mirror or the passenger side front seat headrest.

That Honda, behind me, sharp as a tack. No vibrations.
Sped ahead, got in front of another vehicle, one with those multiple horizontal bars in the grill.
No Blur, sharp as a tack.

Look over at my empty passenger seat head rest. just the tiniest bit of vibration.
Can see it but, when I placed on my fingers under it, just barely touching it, it ceased.

.... and THAT is why I love Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires!

Got to remember to call Firestone, in the Morning, and schedule a 4 wheel alignment.
FYI, if you ever have an alignment, do it at Firestone, for just a few bucks more, can get a Lifetime Alignment. Anytime I think things may be hinky, truck goes in for an alignment.
Buy new tires? Get an Alignment.

Hope my S.I.L. does not get much grief about those new Michelin's
when it's in for the Alignment.

Shop Manager really did give me a terrific price on those
Firestone/Bridgestone/Whatever the Hell Stones.

Problem was...they just ain't Michelin's.
TLDR.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
gofishn

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
TLDR.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Thank you.
I never knew what TLDR meant so had to look it up.
Learned something
.... other than some prefer blurbs that require no thought or effort.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Good to hear about your great experience with the Michelins.
There was a clown somewhere on this forum claiming that Michelin made 2 different quality tires that looked identical. According to him the low quality tire was made for sale at places like Walmart, Costco and the like. And the good quality tire made for sale at premium tire stores.
That is such BS because they would be inundated with lawsuits over such practices.

OP
OP
gofishn

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Good to hear about your great experience with the Michelins.
There was a clown somewhere on this forum claiming that Michelin made 2 different quality tires that looked identical. According to him the low quality tire was made for sale at places like Walmart, Costco and the like. And the good quality tire made for sale at premium tire stores.
That is such BS because they would be inundated with lawsuits over such practices.

Well, sorta right.
What really happened was Michelin changed the formula on the LTX M/S tires.
They were known for extremely long live but the gripe was that they were too hard of rubber.
Folks thought they had pooor snow, ice, wet grass traction.

So , Michelin changed up the tire compound formula.
Think they called is LTX M/S2 but do not hold me to that.
anyway, within just a few short months, huge outcry from long term Michelin Owners.
There were actually starting to see wear on their tires, because they were softer,
to give better grip but that caused them to wear faster.

Funniest part its Michelin has one the very best Winter tires out there, nice an soft rubber.
which spreads on ice and grips great but wears out fast. SO they shoulda understood the consequences.
Anyway, that formula was short lived and they went back to old fomula with some minor tweaks to help extend life of tire.

All of this happened long before they started calling these tires Defenders.
Pretty sure that was n9othing more than Michelin trying to get their own 'Brand" within a brand, like Goodyear does with their tire versions.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

Back when I ran service, I put 80-85K miles on sets of Michelin LTX tires. They were on a work vans weighing over 9K lbs and driven almost mostly all city driving on the crap roads here in Michigan.
They're well worth the price of admission

RodeoRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been a Michelin fan since Dad got 120k miles out of Michelins warrantied for 100k on our old Buick. And I was part of that LTX long-short-long life cycle on my old truck. Got 10k over the warranty on my first set, 20k under on the second set, and the third set's still on the truck I gave to Dad.

I probably just rotated my factory Firestones for the last time Friday. They have 54k on them now so I can't complain being factory tires. So I have been looking for more Michelins, and I saw they came out with a different line last year. Does anyone know anything about the Agilis Crossclimate line? There's no mileage warranty and no treadwear rating I can find to compare them to the LTX M/S. Same price, but they have 1/32" less tread depth than the LTX.

Being more of a winter tire, I figure the compound is softer so it wouldn't last as long. When I was busting tires at Wal-Mart, we sold General XP2000 tires with over 500 treadwear rating. Those things were so hard, they never wore out. But then again, if the road was anything more than damp, they had no traction. On the flip side, my brother's police department put Goodyear Eagles on all the cruisers. Those Crown Vics could take a corner like no sedan should, but they wore out before 20k.

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got 200,000 miles out of a set of .... Oh wait a minute no I didn't. Sorry just got caught up in the spirit of this thread.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

RodeoRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 11k on the Michelins I got last year, and I have noticed that my mileage dropped about 1/2 mpg. IIRC, the set of Michelins are 40-something pounds heavier than a new set of Firestones. I wouldn't think that would be enough to make a difference except I'm comparing new to new weights and not what the Firestones actually weighed after most of the tread was gone.

The Michelins have better traction in the rain over the Firestones when they were new.