No oil in the engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charvey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
So my 2021 Ram 5.7 Hemi etorque started jerking while driving. Took it to dealer to have it checked out, they called me & said there is no oil in the engine. WTH? I bought it used w/ 16k on it & have put about 7k on it, checked the oil a during this time & always full. I've been on a few trips (300 - 600 miles) always ran fine & like I said no signs of oil leaking or smoking.
Where would the oil have gone, no leaks, no smoking or anything ever. Dealer put oil in it & still doing the same thing as it did on me. CDJR says they need to get in the engine & find out the cause which might or might not be covered under warranty. Anyone ever hear or have this kind of issues? I am totally stumped by this!

OP
OP
Charvey

Charvey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Well, did you have red lights, no oil pressure service light?
If so than Stop.
If not than something strange going on with the shop
My 14 has never needed any oil top up in all the years I have had it
When driving on Sat the Engine light popped on & the AutoStart/Stop light came on saying it was not working (never seen that light up) NO red lights or anything saying stop/ turn engine off immediately. I did not have much acceleration but sounded fine just would jerk or buck driving. Got it home then dropped it @ dealer on Sun & checked it in this morning. Then got the call saying zero oil in it. This is the strangest thing I've ever experienced regarding an auto.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Definitely not something that 's common. Oil doesn't just disappear. It had to go somewhere. When was the last oil change? When did you last check the oil level? Seems to me that the only place the oil could have gone, if it didn't leak out or get burned, would be into the cooling system, with the excess being pushed out the overflow. That's not likely, but neither is oil disappearing. Have you checked your coolant? Both the level and visual condition? Is there any chance it wasn't refilled after a very recent oil change?

OP
OP
Charvey

Charvey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Definitely not something that 's common. Oil doesn't just disappear. It had to go somewhere. When was the last oil change? When did you last check the oil level? Seems to me that the only place the oil could have gone, if it didn't leak out or get burned, would be into the cooling system, with the excess being pushed out the overflow. That's not likely, but neither is oil disappearing. Have you checked your coolant? Both the level and visual condition? Is there any chance it wasn't refilled after a very recent oil change?
100% that is why I am scratching my end. Checked the oil before I went on a 400+ mile trip all good & check it when I returned which was also good. The "Oil Life" setting said I was @ 40% when I checked it last week. I have not changed the oil since I bought the truck. Never shown a drip, leak or residue of oil. I had the dealer check under the truck to see if they see anything that would look like where oil could have ran down but they see nothing. Oil just does not disappear & if the engine did not have oil in it my daily commute on the interstate of 50 mi around trip between 50 - 80 mph I would think it would have caused major issues well before this.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The "Oil Life" setting said I was @ 40% when I checked it last week.
The Oil Life monitor % is nothing more than a calculation based on the engine rpms, temperatures, etc. There is no sensor that measures the oil quality.

fireflymedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Well if you could still crank/run engine it was not empty of oil. Maybe they ment not touching dipstick. Not sure how much oil it takes to get up to dipstick though.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
When driving on Sat the Engine light popped on & the AutoStart/Stop light came on saying it was not working (never seen that light up) NO red lights or anything saying stop/ turn engine off immediately. I did not have much acceleration but sounded fine just would jerk or buck driving. Got it home then dropped it @ dealer on Sun & checked it in this morning. Then got the call saying zero oil in it. This is the strangest thing I've ever experienced regarding an auto.

This light didn't come on?

Read here:

The engine oil pressure warning light will come on if the engine oil pressure is low, or if the oil pressure sensor is faulty. In either case, engine power may be reduced significantly. The check engine light may also illuminate, and an on-board diagnostic (OBD) trouble code will be stored in the vehicle's computer.

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
In any vehicle I've ever driven there existed a tell tale sign that she needed oil and needed it now ~ lifter click.

If you didn't experience lifter click or any type of dash alarm, I have a hard time believing your engine was dry.

No guarantee but between You checking oil, no trace of evacuated oil, no abnormal sounds, no dash alarm, seems unlikely.

I ran an engine past lifter click one time and it spun a bearing, very obvious. no bucking there. It parked on the interstate shoulder while I walked 18 miIes to the next services. (Wyoming lol)

1979PowerWagon360

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 TRX
Engine
I strongly suspect the dealership made an error and confused your vehicle with another or is lying to you. That's all I can figure. No way 7 quarts disappears like that. Even if the filter loosened and let it all out, you'd have a mess blown back under the vehicle, and as others wrote warning lights, lifter noise at least, if not rod knock too. I just don't buy that you lost all your oil suddenly without a mess in your driveway or under the truck.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you look at the heads-up display where it shows your oil pressure psi, the oil pump pickup probably half to three quarters empty for it not to draw from the pan, it should have been making allot of noise and you should have heard that, also 7000 miles before the first oil change, I would be checking the cooling system the oil cooler may be damaged putting oil in the antifreeze.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I don't know about your dealership
BUT
at my dealership each time i take my Ram in, one person makes notes on what i want done, ie: oil & filter change, rotate tires, etc.
I sign the paperwork.
a 2nd guy pops the hood, checks the oil & checks the batteries date, as he is doing that, the first guy walks around the vehicle checking for damage & anything else worth noting down.

Then the oil checker hands the pre-check paper to the SA & then drives the vehicle back into the lube / repair bays

That guy checking the oil level would say that he would not be responsible if the vehicle blew up because of no motor oil.
They would have called you over before moving the truck.

Check your dipstick once a week & ALWAYS check under your vehicles hood before you leave the dealership after having work done

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
a good reason to change every 5000 miles no matter what the computer says. I have been driving since the early 70’s and have never once went to 7000 miles on an oil change. 5000 and i dump it.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
a good reason to change every 5000 miles no matter what the computer says. I have been driving since the early 70’s and have never once went to 7000 miles on an oil change. 5000 and i dump it.
I shudder to think of how much money you've wasted in all those years. o_O

Haha...kidding of course. Change your oil at whatever interval you're comfortable with. UOA's can give you a good idea whether you're changing it too often or not. I change mine just under once per year. But we only put about 7k miles on annually and use synthetic oil and filters. UOA's have shown there is lots of life left in the oil at that interval, but since the truck is still under warranty I want to stay within that interval.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Change/have changed every 5K, 100% synthetic filter and 5 W 20 full synthetic and tires rotated same time. Works for me, but every body has different thoughts and needs and priorities.

ADDED: IF there was no oil in the motor, it would not be running long, LOL.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eddo