No Trailer Connected message

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

houdlm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello all, new to the forum. I just bought a new to me 2014 1500 Limited Laramie. I pulled my boat for the first time yesterday but could not get the computer to recognize that I was hooked up to the boat trailer. My trailer lights worked with no issues so I think I can eliminate a ground issue? Are there any tricks to get truck to see that my boat trailer is hooked up? Very little info in owners manual. Thanks in advance for any advice. Have a great day.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What kind of boat trailer ??

Most boat trailers use surge brakes, and the factory controller will not recognize or actuate these.

It only works with electric brakes, like on campers & large equipment trailers.

WaterBoy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie CC2500 Black Edition
Engine
Do you have electric brakes on the boat trailer, or surge brakes?

I could be wrong, but I think the only time a trailer is "recognized" is when you plug into the 7 pin and require the brake controller. Other than that, it doesn't need to.

Again, I could be wrong

OP
OP
H

houdlm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok

Well that might would explain it. I have a McClain trailer under my Kenner bay boat. I use the 7 pin in order to go in reverse with trailer. But the trailer does have surge brakes. I should have known that. Thanks guys. Have a great day.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tigger54